RMweb

A3 Book Law

shunny

• 2 years later...

Afternoon all,

I’m considering dabbling with some RTR renaming, renumbering and light weathering – baby steps but we’ve all got to start somewhere. 

I’d like to model LNER A3 2750 Papyrus (obvious I know but I grew up a few miles from Essendine and Little Bytham have spent happy hours ‘spotting on Stoke Bank, and find the high-speed exploits there over the decades fascinating, so there we are).

IMG_7401.jpg.67869b27bd83f582dd0972724cf68d6c.jpg

Anyway, what’s the best candidate for conversion into Papyrus in 1935 condition, in terms of tender, boiler, cab seating, spoked/discs wheels and so on? I believe the O gauge Hattons model has a streamlined corridor tender but I was previously under the impression that Papyrus would have had a 1928 tender at that time. 

Am I best off looking at a Book Law as a donor loco, or another Hornby A3?

Thanks to all who’ve previously contributed to this thread - just the nugget of info about 2750's '50' numerals being larger than the others was news to me. I'll have to treat myself to a Yeadon's Register soon.

• Like 1

You may find the RCTS more use to work out what tender/boiler you need.  Mike Trice has also posted a really good picture of the train which set the speed record which might also show you what you need.

For a donor model, I've mainly used NRM special edition 4472s for mine as the mechanisms seem much stronger.  I have had two Book Law models; one body was fine but the other was like a banana and had to be junked.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

Afternoon all,

I’m considering dabbling with some RTR renaming, renumbering and light weathering – baby steps but we’ve all got to start somewhere. 

I’d like to model LNER A3 2750 Papyrus (obvious I know but I grew up a few miles from Essendine and Little Bytham have spent happy hours ‘spotting on Stoke Bank, and find the high-speed exploits there over the decades fascinating, so there we are).

IMG_7401.jpg.67869b27bd83f582dd0972724cf68d6c.jpg

Anyway, what’s the best candidate for conversion into Papyrus in 1935 condition, in terms of tender, boiler, cab seating, spoked/discs wheels and so on? I believe the O gauge Hattons model has a streamlined corridor tender but I was previously under the impression that Papyrus would have had a 1928 tender at that time. 

Am I best off looking at a Book Law as a donor loco, or another Hornby A3?

Thanks to all who’ve previously contributed to this thread - just the nugget of info about 2750's '50' numerals being larger than the others was news to me. I'll have to treat myself to a Yeadon's Register soon.

Papyrus had a GN Tender for all its life. Papyrus had a 94a Boiler in 1938, which would have had a round dome.

Edited by micklner
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Are you sure?

391276565_2750Papyrus.jpg.d05bbd0a2a47acdb37ddc3dc05266e00.jpg

Photo credit Ken Nunn collection

This is Papyrus in 1935. 94HP boiler and 1928 corridor tender. There's more specific detail here: http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=600103060&loco=2750

Jamie

Ooops and thanks,  I managed to drop a line going across on the RCTS 2a listing . Luckily it did have a GN Tender in 1938 !!

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Are you sure?

391276565_2750Papyrus.jpg.d05bbd0a2a47acdb37ddc3dc05266e00.jpg

Photo credit Ken Nunn collection

This is Papyrus in 1935. 94HP boiler and 1928 corridor tender. There's more specific detail here: http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=600103060&loco=2750

Jamie

Thanks all, very helpful contributions and a very atmospheric photo. Jamie, that's an incredible resource, thanks for the link. Also saved me a facepalm moment as I'd been considering ID-swapping my wartime black Hornby A4 4901 from Sir Charles Newton to Capercaillie, but vaguely remembered reading on RMweb ages ago that the loco's repaint from blue to black and valance removal coincided with its first renaming - and that site confirms it. So 4901 was always blue when named after a bird. Clanger averted.

23 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Mike Trice has also posted a really good picture of the train which set the speed record which might also show you what you need.

I'd be delighted to see this picture if anyone has a link. Still new here and feeling my way around the various searches and subforums (and going off on tangents finding other interesting threads).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tennessee Jones said:

Can someone tell me who/what "Book Law" is? What does the name mean? I've been trying to look it up but can't find anything. Thanks.

A racehorse. A lot of the A1/A3s were named after racehorses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_Law

https://www.lner.info/locos/A/racehorses.php

Edited by Dragonfly
typo
  • Agree 3