RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Would you like to re read the original post. He says that this is an Unofficial project, meaning he is doing it alone and the NRM are not involved.

So why add a link to it if it is not involved?

He must have a lovely big space to work in if he's creating a model of the NRM - lucky fellah.

• RMweb Premium

Because as he said, if anyone has any questions about the museum, they should contact them directly, not the modeller, as he is not connected to the NRM so he cannot comment on anything.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent the last week or so doing some research on the museum, more specifically The Great Hall. This has included obtaining track plans for the building as well as making some rough measurements using Google Earth. These measurements will help me find the dimensions for the baseboard. I have planned for The Great Hall to sit on a frame allowing it to be removed from the layout, allowing it to be displayed separately from the rest of the scenery, as I shall also be modelling some of he exterior of the museum surrounding The Great Hall, as well as the mainline if I have the available space...

More updates to follow soon :)

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I was able to make a trip to the NRM for "research'' on Tuesday. I also was able to pick up a OO Banana Van from Monk Bar model shop, who I heartily recommend (And no, they didn't pay me to say that!). Now though, I can to begin planning the baseboard and track work, and then hopefully begin baseboard construction soon. I will also be creating a series of YouTube videos with the first episode answering questions you may have about the project.

post-17450-0-03709200-1439981223_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What period are you modelling as the main hall originally housed 2 turntables and the stores and workshop area were not open to the public, also are you modelling both buildings on each side of the road ?

The layout will be present day, modelling the museum as it has looked over the past decade or so. As for buildings, it depends how much space I have available, but the Great Hall, Warehouse and Workshop are my main concerns for the moment :)

A 1:76 shinkansen then. Can't imagine that'll be available RTR any time soon ;)

This is one of the many issues I'm going to face in the project, perhaps there is a HO model produced in Japan that I've never heard of, if not, I'll just have to keep fingers crossed for the future...

Apologies for being so quiet over the past few weeks, but moving house has given me very little time or money to start work on the project. However, a series of YouTube videos shall be uploaded in due course, starting with some FAQs before looking at the planning and research going into the layout. Feel free to leave any questions you may want answering in the video

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update time! Planning is still going ahead for the project, but I hope to start work on constructing the baseboard for The Great Hall soon(ish) next year. This all depends on when we can get the garage cleared out! Also, I have gone ahead and reserved a NRM Limited Edition "40 Years of the NRM" VTEC HST, which I feel will make a good late Christmas present! I still have the series of YouTube video to film regarding the project, but with A Levels to worry about, it's hard to find the time or the energy to make them! That said, I will hopefully get the first one done for before Christmas. Also, for those of you who weren't aware, there is also a Facebook page for the product, which hit 100 likes today, so it's great to see the large amount of interest going towards the project! Any queries please ask :) - James

Edited by themymysteryman101
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

How's the planning coming along? Been a while since we heard from you

It's getting along slowly, I've been focused on exams and revision a large amount recently, but hopefully I can get the baseboard sorted over the summer. I will also visit the NRM again at some point in the next few months, but as soon as I have any more information regarding the layout I'll make a post.

- James

• 2 months later...

So are you going to keep you KOYLI in BR Blue or go to BR Green?

I plan to keep this model in BR Blue, as I'd have to start all over again otherwise, however I may get a green variant in the future, but there are loads of locos I still need to get before I even consider variations of the same loco - Mallard, Midland Compound, Evening Star, DP1 Deltic, Green Arrow...

This is one of the many issues I'm going to face in the project, perhaps there is a HO model produced in Japan that I've never heard of, if not, I'll just have to keep fingers crossed for the future...

Somewhat late to the party, but there are certainly Shinkansens available in HO like this one from Katsumi. Unlike N not cheap; scale is probably 1:87.

• 4 months later...

Hi all!

Not a huge update unfortunately, however as my 18th birthday passed recently, I was lucky enough to receive the Locomtion Models NRM 40 HST, and for my first Hornby HST, it's a cracking model. Just waiting for the VTEC Mk3s to complement it

29504993271_dd11339302_z.jpgLocomotion Models NRM 40 HST by James McLeish, on Flickr

29295271920_d34245f3f9_z.jpgLocomotion Models NRM 40 HST by James McLeish, on Flickr

29504982721_a231a011e5_z.jpgLocomotion Models NRM 40 HST by James McLeish, on Flickr

29504986851_aae112ff03_z.jpgLocomotion Models NRM 40 HST by James McLeish, on Flickr

- James

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Christmas Arrivals to the collection!

Hornby Mk3 VTEC Buffet and TGS

31920004471_d6ce287275_z.jpgDSCN1672 by James McLeish, on Flickr

Shown here with 43238

31919995271_b1f433d6aa_z.jpgDSCN1675 by James McLeish, on Flickr

(I've yet to purchasse the TSOs and TF Mk3s to make up a full train, but these were the main ones to get, given how Buffet mk3s have a history of going for high prices after retirement!)

Hornby Olton Hall

31227360723_331eb52a04_z.jpgDSCN1666 by James McLeish, on Flickr

(Soon to become Hogwarts Castle, once I can source some nameplates and transfers for the tender, which I'll appreciate if anyone has any information as to getting some, and possibly suitable headboards?)

And my model of 60078 has recently had the EWS Beastie logos added on to it, which I'm very happy with to say the least, given applying transfers isn't my number one skill...  :paint:

31998492546_73f38272ef_z.jpgDSCN1677 by James McLeish, on Flickr

- James

Edited by themymysteryman101
  • Like 4