7mm MOK Merchant Navy build

Thank you Dave - finally worked out how it all goes.

Have spent most of the day filing/ fitting/filing/fitting etc. Eventually got the cradle in square and slightly enlarged the notch that I now know was for the central pipe.

A lot of filing to the steam pipes got them flush with the smokebox.

Then I cut the RHS pipe to allow the fitting of the central one and soldered it all up having put the detail plate behind the pipe.

post-15765-0-25370900-1437928118_thumb.jpg

post-15765-0-28348800-1437928130_thumb.jpg

Moving on I discover that the cab skin has not gone on incorrectly. Instructions say leave an even overlap on front and back but if you do this you end up filing off a load of rivets at the front. The answer lies in a detail plate that you add to the rear - If this had been added first an even overlap would have allowed a small overlap that could be filed away without taking the rivets as well.

A solution needs thinking about. I have another skin - they provide two in the kit! but unsoldering the existing one is not going to be easy. Will do some thinking before I attack it.

After a lot of thinking I bit the bullet and took the first skin off as I was not at all happy with it. Took some getting off and a lot of cleaning up to get ready for attempt two. Instructions say this is the hardest part of the kit and whilst I don't necessarily agree with that it is very satisfying when you get it right. The second skin went on reasonably well but I took a lot of time ensuring equal spacing front and back having first addded the two rear skins.

Finished it off by fitting the roof vent and windows. Not that happy with the lifting eyes but they will do.

post-15765-0-27726500-1438007212_thumb.jpg

post-15765-0-58589700-1438007254_thumb.jpg

Now to put it all together - just need to plan how to do it and make sure everything is square.

On Shed for the first time!

post-15765-0-84199700-1438094829_thumb.jpg

post-15765-0-01637100-1438094844_thumb.jpg

As can be seen have assembled smokebox/boiler and cab. Fixed smokebox with epoxy as there was a good rim and I couldn't get my soldering iron in far enough to solder.

A bit of filing of the boiler was needed at its join with the cab and also underneath to fit footplate. Soldered the assembly to the footplate and all seemed well. Came to test fit it and couldn't as there is a long bolt at the rear of the chassis under the cab and couldn't see how the assembly could be screwed down. Looked at instructions - nothing. Looked at newer instructions and low and behold there is a bracket to fit to the underneath of the cab. Found and soldered nut in place but then noticed that the bolt will be 10mm too long so had to cut it in the frame as it is trapped in place - not impressed.

Also noticed that there are no instructions, old or new, about the bottom section of the boiler - does it fit to the chassis or to the footplate - decied the chassis would be best so fitted and then the footplate wouldn't fit as the bottom of the boiler touched these parts - more filing and job done.

Starting to look the part. Still no sign of the motion rods but I know Premier can be a bit slow so no worries.

Help please.

I am going round the footplate fitting all the sundry parts. The castings are absolutely exquisite. To do them justice I want to add the small pipes that come from the larger of the two lubricators on the RHS - seven in all I think. I don't have any photographs that show their path. Do they go straight down through the footplate or do then turn inwards under the boiler?

Thanks

Roger

• RMweb Premium

Help please.

I am going round the footplate fitting all the sundry parts. The castings are absolutely exquisite. To do them justice I want to add the small pipes that come from the larger of the two lubricators on the RHS - seven in all I think. I don't have any photographs that show their path. Do they go straight down through the footplate or do then turn inwards under the boiler?

Thanks

Roger

Hi Roger,

They go down through the  footplate.  Have  a  look at these photos of Canadian Pacific.

Here you can see they dissapear into the  footplate not  back or  along it.

post-13414-0-81239800-1438432678_thumb.jpg

Here's where  they come  out  underneath.

post-13414-0-96050700-1438432679_thumb.jpg

Hope this  helps. If  you need any  further  detail info let me know as I have @ 200 photos of  Canadian Pacific which I took on a  visit  to the  Mid Hants a few years back when I was researching the Merchant Navies for  my own model. Not MOK unfortunately, but  from Acorn.

post-13414-0-45810900-1438433380_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

This is where it all slows down. Seems to take ages to fit the small detail parts but I have now completed the fittings on the footplate/boiler and only have the steam pipes to fit and the boiler valve wheel.

The only problem I have had is soldering to the 'white metal' boiler. My normal process of using solder paste just doesn't work. Tinning the boiler with low melt solder and then solder paste also doesn't work so resorted to super glue for some of the fittings. Those that I did solder I used a 75 watt iron quickly!!! I am wondering what the boiler is actuially made of.

Snag 2 is that when I came to fit it all to the chassis the top valve on the cylinder assembly does not line up with the 'pockets'. Will have to file them down I think.

post-15765-0-77728500-1438609256_thumb.jpg

post-15765-0-39135200-1438609266_thumb.jpg

Snag 2 is that when I came to fit it all to the chassis the top valve on the cylinder assembly does not line up with the 'pockets'. Will have to file them down I think.

A photo could help.

OzzyO.

Photo to show the problem:

post-15765-0-57776100-1438684176_thumb.jpg

Have started on the Tender body. This is a briliant way to bbuild a tender - all credit to the designer it is an absolute work of art:

post-15765-0-71311600-1438684192_thumb.jpg

post-15765-0-25447200-1438684203_thumb.jpg

So far the build has involved soldering two parts together yet it is a strong as if it has been complete!

Had a good day today. If anyone ever thinks of giving up O gauge modelling get hold of an MOK tender to build - they are an absolute dream to put together - bit like origami with metal.

post-15765-0-21310100-1438697702_thumb.jpg

post-15765-0-69365700-1438697712_thumb.jpg

Only issue was bending the nickel silver outer skin - even after heating it was still very hard to bend even slightly (must get a roller). An unusual O Gauge modelling requirement was an 8mm drill - used to form the vac cylinder cover!

The instructions were also spot on but I notice they are dated much later than my loco instructions.

This is where it all slows down. Seems to take ages to fit the small detail parts but I have now completed the fittings on the footplate/boiler and only have the steam pipes to fit and the boiler valve wheel.

The only problem I have had is soldering to the 'white metal' boiler. My normal process of using solder paste just doesn't work. Tinning the boiler with low melt solder and then solder paste also doesn't work so resorted to super glue for some of the fittings. Those that I did solder I used a 75 watt iron quickly!!! I am wondering what the boiler is actuially made of.

Doolish,

On the full size, the front valve gland castings do not go inside the pockets, only the valve spindles themselves. The clearances to the running plate are very tight, so on the model it's probably just an accumulation of tolerances and minor discrepancies. Just file the corner of the castings, as you say.

It's a bit hard to tell for sure, but from the photos, the three cylinder lubricators look to have an odd extension on top - they should be more or less flat, not even a filler cap (hinged lid).

Tender looks good - one of the first batch. You'll have to be careful which loco/time period you choose to match the later type boiler with the early tender.

Dave.

It's a bit hard to tell for sure, but from the photos, the three cylinder lubricators look to have an odd extension on top - they should be more or less flat, not even a filler cap (hinged lid).

Um...are they on upside down?

JF

Welcome to the most engineered tender shassis you are likely to see.

post-15765-0-14576200-1438779120_thumb.jpg

Went together a treat - this is so much better than the loco. Have been so imprerssed I have just ordered a Q1 for Telford :)

Beginning to look the part

post-15765-0-96588500-1438779152_thumb.jpg

post-15765-0-58767900-1438779168_thumb.jpg

Yes I know - next job.

Hi Roger,

Regarding the  fittings on the  footplate, there should be  four oil boxes spaced along the  raised valance at the inner edge of the  foot plate next to the  boiler (on both sides).

You can see three of them in the  enclose picture.  the  fourth is between the  two pipe coming from the  clack valves which you can see in the  earlier picture of  Canadian Pacific that I posted.

Cheers,

Peter.

post-13414-0-83622800-1438796823_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-62654400-1438796829_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-47686000-1438796836_thumb.jpg

Very helpful - thanks. I don't have castings for them but should not be a problem to make them.

Actually there's three on the RHS, feeding the coupled axle horn-guides, as shown in PAD's photos and four on the LHS - three opposite the LH ones and the additional one, feeding the inside cylinder valve cross-head guides (odd that it's this side as the valve guide is on the right!), is alongside the rear of the smokebox (can't remember exactly relative to the sand-box) - I filled ours yesterday, ready for an initial trial run.

Dave.

Dave is this P&O going for a trial run.......

Keith HC, Dursley

You beat me to it - I was going to ask that.

I had hoped to call in and photograph P&O on my way to Telford on Sept 4th but the railway told me I wouldn't be able to get to it as the railway is closed on a Friday. :(

Hope the run is succesful.

Actually there's three on the RHS, feeding the coupled axle horn-guides, as shown in PAD's photos and four on the LHS - three opposite the LH ones and the additional one, feeding the inside cylinder valve cross-head guides (odd that it's this side as the valve guide is on the right!), is alongside the rear of the smokebox (can't remember exactly relative to the sand-box) - I filled ours yesterday, ready for an initial trial run.

Dave.

Hi Roger,

Sorry, 3 on the  right and  4 on the left. I miss-interpreted the  photo looking along the  foot plate.  The one furthest away is  actually  the  one  between the pipes from the  clacks.  I wonder which MN Dave is  involved with?

Here's a couple of shots of the  left side  of  Can Pac which might  help.

This shows where the  first two are from front to back.

post-13414-0-74060000-1438861658_thumb.jpg

The second and third ones  are harder to see due  to the  pipework running along the  footplate. I do not  know what these pipes are  for  and  I believe they were not on during  BR days. Possibly they are for  some  kit  that has been added for  main line  running in preservation.  Perhaps Dave can throw  some  light  on that.  However, the  third one  is directly below the  N in navy, and  the forth  between the  last  two lined boiler bands.  

post-13414-0-86851700-1438861669_thumb.jpg

Archived