7mm MOK Merchant Navy build

I think I prefer the everything included, engineering approach. First I'm an engineer and like the technical aspects but secondly, you can always leave some details off for simplicity, if you wish, whereas it's much harder to create details from scratch. Unfortunately, the fully detailed route isn't too common in 4 mm scale, probably because everything is that much smaller. I wonder if the Finney A4 was scaled up from is 4 mm stuff?

Dave.

I would have thought you would have got better backscene for your model considering where you come from. Eastleigh is far more appropriate than Gloucestershire! Mind you P&O does look magnificent. I will have to get to see her soon but working as its really just up the road........

Keith HC, Dursley

Back from a great show at Telford - many more people than previous years I think. Star of the show was undoubtedly the Dapol Terrier - how on earth they, or the Chinese, can make such an exquisit model for £169 is beyond me.

Had a chat with Dave from MOK and now best of friends :)

I feal another blog coming on!

post-15765-0-98364400-1441554214_thumb.jpg

Makes in to a fantastic model. As does all Dave's kits. I'm hoping the 9F will be ready at Reading.

Asked Dave about this and he really did not want to commit. He would 'like' it to be out by December but no promises.

It all looks very neat and tidy.

The colour inside the frames is an interesting debating point. According to the official BR painting specification, insides of frames were to be black - as per your model. However, there's every indication that they were actually painted red - ours are, and i assume that's based on remnants of the original paint when we acquired the loco from Barry.

Dave.

The colour inside the frames is an interesting debating point. According to the official BR painting specification, insides of frames were to be black - as per your model. However, there's every indication that they were actually painted red - ours are, and i assume that's based on remnants of the original paint when we acquired the loco from Barry.

This is an interesting point and one that I have never been able to get to the bottom off.

I have never seen a photograph of a Southern Loco with red inner frames. I showed the photo of P&O to club members and we discussed the fact that it also has red slide bar mountins. As far as we know GWR (sorry for swearing) had red inside the frames but Southern never did. From my own recolection I cannot remember seeing red frames, but then at the time I saw them they were so dirty anyway you probably would not notice. I do know that Southern paintshop instructions said the frames had to have a red oxide primer.

I've looked through all the colour photos I can find of the locos in BR service and, as you say, it's all a bit inconclusive. Obviously, the photos don't show inside the frames, but the outside slide-bar brackets appear to vary. In most cases, the locos are dirty or the brackets aren't clearly visible but a few almost-ex-works shots of early re-builds seem to indicate black brackets. However, a couples of shots from 1963 and 1967 clearly show red brackets, so perhaps it was a later practice or just depended on the whim of the painters? I've asked our Chief Engineer about the colour of our frames and brackets when retrieved from Barry. I'll let you know his response.

Dave.

• 2 months later...

Just in case anyone missed me I will be returning to the MN in the next few days. Unfortunatly I have not been modelling over the last three months or so due to illness and having to look after my wife who has just had a hiip op. Slowly getting better and will shortly get on with finishing the MN.

• 3 weeks later...

OK here we go.

Thought I would finish tender first. Now painted and looks good.

post-15765-0-54489400-1450789827_thumb.jpg    post-15765-0-67149300-1450789838_thumb.jpg

Will prime and paint buffer beam when I do the loco one. Shame to fill with coal really.

However having fitted phospher bronze pick ups to the wheels I have discovered that there is a fair amount of shorting against the brake gear - so one step forward and two back.

Will have to shorten the brake rodding - next job.

Happy Christmas to those that have followed this blog. Hopefuly it will all be finished soon.

• 4 months later...

Archived