Iain Rice's books now a collector item

hayfield

I was looking at Amazon to see how much these books are now as I have a spare copy and saw this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/090686786X/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&sr=1-1&qid=1436423631

Yes £999.11 plus £2.80 P&P, cheeky b@@@@@s at that price they could afford free P&P

Now if Iain signed it how much would it be worth

This is common throughout second hand book sales, not just Iain's books.  Look at 'Bookfinder' and you'll see some easily available books priced at, say, £9.99, whilst other booksellers have them at £500.00!  Why they do it though is a mystery to me, as I can't imagine anyone dim enough to pay such prices!

OH, though wait a minute........ :crazy:

I was looking at Amazon to see how much these books are now as I have a spare copy and saw this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/090686786X/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&sr=1-1&qid=1436423631

Yes £999.11 plus £2.80 P&P, cheeky b@@@@@s at that price they could afford free P&P

Not as high priced but I had the same shock moment when I saw this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/illustrated-history-British-Railways-revenue/dp/0860932036/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436428904&sr=1-12&keywords=br+railway+wagons

It made me re-assess my railway book collection, and I made a point of showing Mrs Jonny the web page just to make her realise that the bookcase full of railway titles may not be the "worthless pile of junk" she often refers to when she thinks I am out of earshot.

Not as high priced but I had the same shock moment when I saw this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/illustrated-history-British-Railways-revenue/dp/0860932036/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436428904&sr=1-12&keywords=br+railway+wagons

It made me re-assess my railway book collection, and I made a point of showing Mrs Jonny the web page just to make her realise that the bookcase full of railway titles may not be the "worthless pile of junk" she often refers to when she thinks I am out of earshot.

The problem with that assessment is that few railway booksellers will offer you more than 50% of their expected selling price.  Ebay is an equal uncertainty with 'buy it now' offers often creeping back to auction instead.  Even then unless you have a realistic start price you may not get any bids.  Like most item, books even 'precious' ones, are only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay,

• RMweb Gold

But prices can vary enormously.  Some months ago I bought a book from a local secondhand bookshop where the lady owner is very good on pricing - she clearly follows the market and knows what to charge but equally doesn't like stuff hanging around forever.  So I paid £3 for a book she'd had for sometime and I think she'd price at £7.  The other weekend I saw exactly the same book, which was published in the late 1930s, for sale in a secondhand book emporium at a heritage railway - priced at £25!

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling that the ridiculous prices result from an algorithm in some automated software which escalates prices based on demand but seems to lack a built-in "ceiling".  I'm not certain of this though.  Perhaps someone on here will enlighten us as some point?

Probably means they've got none in stock. Maybe you could sell your spare copy to them?

There is a considerable danger that it might actually devalue the book. I once heard it said that any book by John Scott Morgan that had been signed by the author was instantly worth less than an unsigned one!!

Next time I see Iain I'll put this to him and I'll be interested in his reaction.....I think I already know his answer though !

Given that the same vendor has some books at 96p and more than one item (including a biro) at £999.11, I suspect this has more to do with getting placeholders onto a system which won't let you set a "TBC" price before you're ready to sell it.  

Nothing to do with cheek, gouging, or the rarity of Mr Rice's works.  

Ah, that will be Iain Rice's biro, the one that adds value to books......

cheers

The problem with that assessment is that few railway booksellers will offer you more than 50% of their expected selling price.  Ebay is an equal uncertainty with 'buy it now' offers often creeping back to auction instead.  Even then unless you have a realistic start price you may not get any bids.  Like most item, books even 'precious' ones, are only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay,

That is unlikely to be a problem in my lifetime now, because I have specified my railway book collection as one of a number of collections in my will, and left them to one of my children.

They may not be too pleased to be lumbered with a home full of books on railways, but I don't care what happens to them after I am gone. They are for the recipients to dispose of in the way they wish.

.....They may not be too pleased to be lumbered with a home full of books on railways, but I don't care ....

This is your parting shot, after all. Why not make the most of it? I was once told a story about one fellow who, knowing that his children didn't really get on with each other, gave them individual legacies that the recipient didn't really want, but which one of the other recipients desperately wanted. The ensuing Cold War was probably what the deceased had always intended!!

• RMweb Gold

or just buy a new one for £11:95 off Not Jeremy

And go to Larkrail and perhaps get Mr Rice to sign it for you.

There is a considerable danger that it might actually devalue the book. I once heard it said that any book by John Scott Morgan that had been signed by the author was instantly worth less than an unsigned one!!

The value of signed copies depends very much on the author as some nowadays sign just about anything at literary fairs while others are very cagey.  What does make a difference is the sort of signature which comes with platitudes along the lines of 'for Horsetan' or 'to The Stationmaster with best wishes' as that sort of thing definitely knocks the value down for serious collectors.

• RMweb Premium

And go to Larkrail and perhaps get Mr Rice to sign it for you.

And get a carrier bag you can live in.. yes they're that good!

See you there (I may even come without my disguise).

This is your parting shot, after all. Why not make the most of it? I was once told a story about one fellow who, knowing that his children didn't really get on with each other, gave them individual legacies that the recipient didn't really want, but which one of the other recipients desperately wanted. The ensuing Cold War was probably what the deceased had always intended!!

Reminds me of the "G-Plan" advert of the early '80s, when the deceased left the relations all the things they didn't like. and took his "beloved G-Plan" furniture with him.

Dennis

The flipside of these ludicrously-priced books on Amazon are all those titles available for £0.01 + £2.80 p&p. I've often wondered how that can possibly work as a commercial proposition - even the minimal amount of time it probably takes to set these sales up on an automated system must be worth more than one penny. My daughter bought one of these just the other day and it was in perfectly good nick, so it's not just people knocking out tat

Jim

Jim

I was not knocking Amazon whatever with their own supply of books, or the majority of sellers. I have found eBay being cheaper for railway books, but that may be due to sellers unaware of their value.

The reply stating auto listing may have a partial answer though, will watch and see if it gets re-priced

• RMweb Gold

The flipside of these ludicrously-priced books on Amazon are all those titles available for £0.01 + £2.80 p&p. I've often wondered how that can possibly work as a commercial proposition - even the minimal amount of time it probably takes to set these sales up on an automated system must be worth more than one penny. My daughter bought one of these just the other day and it was in perfectly good nick, so it's not just people knocking out that

Jim

I too wonder at the economics behind this.  I have purchased a number of such books for my son who is currently at university.  Some have been a little tired but others are nearly new.  At less than £3 for, in some cases, substantial reference books they are very cheap.

The flipside of these ludicrously-priced books on Amazon are all those titles available for £0.01 + £2.80 p&p. I've often wondered how that can possibly work as a commercial proposition - even the minimal amount of time it probably takes to set these sales up on an automated system must be worth more than one penny. My daughter bought one of these just the other day and it was in perfectly good nick, so it's not just people knocking out that

I don't get it either, but I'm quite happy to take advantage of it! I've had several CDs, DVDs and books for less than 10 pence (plus postage). Even so, a CD for £1.27 is extremely good value and they've all been in the condition described.

I have a feeling that the ridiculous prices result from an algorithm in some automated software which escalates prices based on demand but seems to lack a built-in "ceiling".  I'm not certain of this though.  Perhaps someone on here will enlighten us as some point?

Correct it is an automated algorithm but price escalation is based on what other sellers have listed it at rather than demand.

Explained much more clearly here,  http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358 

My thanks to JimG for the link.

Archived