RMweb

Mikemeg's Workbench - Building locos of the North Eastern & LNER

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER J72 Short Bunker

Now ready to go for painting. Arthur has decided that this loco is to be 8680 as it was in LNER days, when it worked as one of the station pilots at Newcastle Central.

Arthur will have to fit the couplings which, despite the loco being vacuum fitted, were 3-link.

Now to build another of these short bunker J72's and the longer bunker version, as a pair. Though, perhaps before those two are built I'll get around to doing a P4 chassis for the Bachmann Jubilee, at long last!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-13646400-1471683853_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 13

Now ready to go for painting. Arthur has decided that this loco is to be 8680 as it was in LNER days, when it worked as one of the pilots at Newcastle Central.

Arthur will have to fit the couplings which, despte the loco being vacuum fitted, were 3-link.

Now to build another of these short bunker J72's and the longer bunker version, as a pair. Though, perhaps before those two are built I'll get around to doing a P4 chassis for the Bachmann Jubilee, at long last!!

Cheers

Mike

Some had a square vent on the cab roof and a patch of thin steel on the rear of the cab roof, I represented this with a patch of Scotch Magic adhesive tape

• RMweb Premium

Some had a square vent on the cab roof and a patch of thin steel on the rear of the cab roof, I represented this with a patch of Scotch Magic adhesive tape

This 'patch' was added to many NER locos (some were built with it). It was removed to provide access during visits to the works although sometimes removed at the shed for local maintenance.

ArthurK

More temptation...

A J72 kit with attitude, and a few got North of the border.

Grizzle, grind, knash.....

Ian,

Good news eh??

The even better news is that there will be two versions of this kit; the one for the first twenty J72's with the shorter bunker and shallower mainframes; the other for the remainder of the class with the longer bunker and deeper mainframes. In fact, if one includes the provision of the BR sandbox as fitted to the last series (690xx) then, arguably, three versions of this class can be produced from the two separate kits.

Then, of course, each of these three versions can also be built as vacuum fitted, so six ...............

I really shouldn't chide other folks on this. I test built the A6 kit, since which time I've built three more and am looking at building a fifth - all substantially different. So 'hoist by my own petard' springs to mind!

So, Ian, even more temptation!!

Very best regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

Fortunately Mike, I am only tempted by a J72 suitable for Scottish use.

I am thankful that NER is not an interest!

WIBBLE

Ian,

According to the 1950 (August) stock allocation data, the following were based in Scotland :-

68700     61A

68709     65A

68710     61A

68717     61A

68719     61A

68733     65A

68749     61A

68750     61A

So you've a few to go at, though they were all the longer bunker/deeper mainframe variant!!

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Just a point. The various piping runs, shown on the photograph above, were scratch built and are not part of the kit.

For the vacuum pipe, between the cab and the smokebox, and for the pipe runs just under the valances, 0.8 mm brass wire was used. For the pipe run from the cab front to the firebox shoulder 0.6 mm brass wire was used.

The fixing clasps on the pipe runs just under the valances are small pieces of nickel silver boiler band strip which are wrapped around the pipe, nipped tight and then soldered behind the valance.

Cheers

Mike

This 'patch' was added to many NER locos (some were built with it). It was removed to provide access during visits to the works although sometimes removed at the shed for local maintenance.

ArthurK

Also to protect the canvas on the cab roof when taking coal

Guest royal signals

Tony,

If you look in the 'Smaller Suppliers' section of the 'Products and Trade Area', you'll find Arthur's thread under there as North Eastern Kits.

Thanks Johnathan, I have only just spotted Mikes weave again and have bookmarked that link, thanks again,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

COMET LMS JUBILEE CHASSIS KIT

Before I launch into the next two North Eastern builds - another short bunker J72 and the later longer bunker version of the J72 - time to catch up on something which has lain around for about five years; the LMS jubilee. The supplied 'OO' chassis and the tender wheels are now with a friend of mine who is using them to power a Patriot body and tender, so they're in a good home!

This is the latest Bachmann model of this locomotive and will be converted to P4 using the various Comet (now Wizard models) chassis parts.

I'll post this rebuild on the 'Locomotives of Hessle Haven' thread but I'll just show the start point of this rebuild with the stripped down Bachmann model ready for its new chassis'.

Both the locomotive and the tender will receive new chassis' using the Comet parts with Alan Gibson wheels, high level gearbox and the largest Mashima motor which can be accommodated inside the Jubilee's boiler and firebox.

Might just build an 8F after this Jubilee conversion, again using the Comet kit.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-85404800-1473251741_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

LNER J72

Quite a while since I posted to this thread, interrupted as it was by the work on the Bachmann Jubilee. Fair to say that the Jubilee P4 chassis wasn't entirely successful (it wasn't at all successful!), largely due to differences in the spacing of the driving wheels between the Bachmann model, the prototype and the Comet chassis.

Anyway, the project was aborted and the Jubilee loco body and tender have been given to a good friend to be reunited with their original chassis'.

So back to the locos of the North Eastern with the two versions of the J72; the original short bunkered version representing the first twenty of the class and the longer bunkered version representing the rest of the class.

Before work starts on these two kits, photos of the two prototypes which will be modelled. The first photo taken in Springhead shed (Hull) in 1952 and the second taken in Hull Dairycoates shed, sometime after 1957.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-74460900-1477302517_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-51663400-1477302537_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 8

Quite a while since I posted to this thread, interrupted as it was by the work on the Bachmann Jubilee. Fair to say that the Jubilee P4 chassis wasn't entirely successful (it wasn't at all successful!), largely due to differences in the spacing of the driving wheels between the Bachmann model, the prototype and the Comet chassis.

Anyway, the project was aborted ...

That's a blow, I bought a Bachmann body and tender to do just this conversion at some point in this life. Which one is at fault, is it the Bachmann or Comet item?

Regards

Which one is at fault, is it the Bachmann or Comet item?

Regards

Yes, as Horsetan says, it is the Bachmann body and chassis which is at fault. The Comet chassis is correctly spaced at 7' 4" and 8' 0" (29.33 mm and 32 mm); the Bachmann chassis and body are spaced at something akin to 30.5 mm and 32.0 mm, which means that the wheels fitted to the Comet chassis do not line up with the splashers on the Bachmann body; there is a very visible discrepancy on the middle and rear sets of driving wheels.

So for a P4 Jubilee then I guess it is the Brassmasters kit.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

You know it makes sense, as the air freshener salesman said to the cleaner.

There isn't the slightest chance that I have the skills to do the Brassmasters kit, it would just be a waste of money . I might, though, be able to modify the Comet chassis kit to suit and use AGW adjustable coupling rods. That might work.

I wonder how many kits of the Jubilee chassis Comet sell? It's market is going to be very restricted if it doesn't fit the Bachmann body, not matter how accurate to the prototype it undoubtedly is.

Regards

There isn't the slightest chance that I have the skills to do the Brassmasters kit, it would just be a waste of money . I might, though, be able to modify the Comet chassis kit to suit and use AGW adjustable coupling rods. That might work.

I wonder how many kits of the Jubilee chassis Comet sell? It's market is going to be very restricted if it doesn't fit the Bachmann body, not matter how accurate to the prototype it undoubtedly is.

Regards

As for coupling rods, Bachmann sized coupling rods for the Jubilee, Scot and Patriot chassis are available from Lanarkshire Models. They are suitable for a re-wheeled Bachmann chassis or as you say a modified Comet chassis and, they have the correct Fowler/Stanier look with the big crankpin bosses.... The rods can be made up rigid or correctly jointed at the knuckle, n/s rivet provided.

post-10324-0-50846700-1477388252_thumb.jpg

Apologises for the hijack Mike.

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

Regards

Surely if you can move the wheels adjust the valve gear and make new coupling rods, there is nothing to frighten you when it comes to building a brass kit. You may surprise yourself.

Regards

The Comet chassis for the Jubilee also fits the Patriot and Royal Scot (or should), as their driving wheelbases were all the same, so less restricted than if t'were just the Bachmann Jubilee.

Cheers

Mike