RM August

Legend

• RMweb Premium

Now got the August edition. Traditionally the a Garden a Railway edition, and this is no exception.

No less than 7 layouts in this edition

Coombe Down Gauge 1 GWR in the Garden. Layout first appeared 2007 this is an update

Cardigan "00" gauge GWR in Wales

Hawthorne Dean 1960s ECML in County Durham . Why aye lad .....Champion! N gauge with colliery

Stranraer ,Coleraine and Donaghadee railway. My favourite this month. The Port Road featuring the superb Caledonian Princess and what looks like a lovely model of a 126 dmu.

Pix ash Lane BR(W) around Bristol

Rannoch "00" modern image

Creech Bottom. Welsh NG

People think RM is old fashioned but it has innovated with "Talking Points" topical issues in model railways. This month Steve Flint talks about the emergence of smaller manufacturers , duplication and will the bubble bust ......interesting . Comment, observations on Railway Modelling, another refreshing viewpoint, this time on the need to entertain at exhibitions. I recognise the scenes described

Lots of other articles

Scale drawings J27

Blackmire Farm

New life from old coaches, looks particularly interesting. How to model IoW stock from old Trianh Hornby Clerestorys

Railroad 06 to NB 0-4-0 diesel shunter

A start in the Garden

Invertrain Station Building 7mm station construction

Railway Modelling Explored "n" gauge scenic layout

A goods shed for outdoor use

Letter page

Review of Maunsell N in "n"

So + lots of reading

- nothing of note!

• RMweb Premium

I was confused by the closing part of the talking point section discussing duplication by manufacturers where it said a OO gauge King Class was being made under four different brands.  Only two are producing one, Hornby with their decent over the counter version and DJ Models with their superior deluxe specification version.

• RMweb Premium

I was confused by the closing part of the talking point section discussing duplication by manufacturers where it said a OO gauge King Class was being made under four different brands.  Only two are producing one, Hornby with their decent over the counter version and DJ Models with their superior deluxe specification version.

I think they are referring to versions commissioned by Steam and Locomotion

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest, what type of NB shunter is the Hornby 06 being converted to? 

And no jokes about some people converting it to an 06!

It says NBL 0-4-0DH. D2701 part of a batch of shunter ordered in 1951 for use in Hartlepool docks

I was very proud to have my layout feature in this months RM, a life time ambition achieved...

P1330543.jpg

Creech Bottom is an 009 narrow gauge 4mm scale layout, but it isn't Welsh by any stretch of the imagination! It's firmly set in Purbeck, representing the network of ball clay lines crossing the heath north of Corfe.

http://ehlr.blogspot.co.uk/p/creech-bottom.html

• RMweb Premium

I was very proud to have my layout feature in this months RM, a life time ambition achieved...

P1330543.jpg

Creech Bottom is an 009 narrow gauge 4mm scale layout, but it isn't Welsh by any stretch of the imagination! It's firmly set in Purbeck, representing the network of ball clay lines crossing the heath north of Corfe.

http://ehlr.blogspot.co.uk/p/creech-bottom.html

You must be really chuffed (all puns intended) . Really nice layout James

• RMweb Premium

Yes I think Stranraer and Donaghadee and The Caledonian Princess featured in RMWeb too.

A really good edition this one. Trying to give it a bit of publicity as I always think Railway Modeller is very much underplayed

Despite my previous comments I actually don't think this is a particularly good edition. However, for me the Toddler just seems to have so much more in it than the other mags, and will certainly have more than one article of particular interest to me. I am pleased that they don't devote too much space to reviews, I get plenty of that on here.

Ed

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add my thanks to Steve for including my little layout Rannoch in the August edition. I hope you all like it and if you want to see the layout it will be at St Andrews exhibition in August and Ayr in Sept.

Come and say hello

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Gold

The annual 'garden railway' edition never really strikes a chord with me, or is it really just that it unleashes that tiny bit of envy!!?

There is quite a bit of the 'big stuff' in this month's mag as far as kit-making goes, such as the Invertrain 7mm station kit, and the 16mm goods shed, but nice to see also the usual nice mix of standard gauge and narrow gauge layouts featured - Creech Bottom looks lovely.

I thought the Cardigan layout looked very interesting, but shame there is no accompanying plan, which is unusual for RM - one of the things I really like about their layout articles are the scale plans, which help me to work out whether I can include some of the same trackwork in mine.

I did think the 'comment' feature by Chris Ford was spot on, especially his line: "If we are to attract new blood to join us in our passion, we should remember that it is not only the layout that represents the hobby, but the people who surround it"! 

As I always find with RM, I am still (re)reading it a good few days after having first bought it, unlike some of the competition...

cheers,

Keith

• 2 months later...

As a teenager like so many others around me with an interest in railways one of life's dreams was to get a model railway of mine featured in Railway Modeller.

The thick end of 50 years later it has happened, Hawthorn Dene featured.

post-13358-0-68633400-1444584892_thumb.jpg

post-13358-0-34672300-1444585058.jpg

Very many thanks to Steve for inviting the article and to Ray for the pics.

Next stop a visit from Andy Y.....

Les

Archived