Missing Thread

The OP asked for it to be removed.

Hi

From the above comment I assume that the OP 'owns' the thread.

As a contributor to the thread & an avid follower for all the excellent contributions both pictures & information that others gave for all to enjoy do we not get a say in the threads removal.

My limited contributions were added so that hopefully others may enjoy as I had done aspects of railways in Cornwall that others cannot for whatever reason.

I was happy for members to do what they wished with pictures info etc as I am sure the other contributors were also.....

I am sure that a majority of contributors added material to the thread for the benefit of the whole RMWeb community not just one individual ,ie the OP.....

Does this mean that all this fantastic resource is now lost forever ?

I certainly would like my contributions ,limited & in no way as good or informative as other members contributions to be reinstated......

Cheers

Bill 

I can go into all posts I have done and edit them, to the extent of deleting all of the content, isn't it possible for' the Webmaster' to do the same? - It does seem a shame that when something put into the public domain, and for the benefit of Members, is lost when someone throws their teddy out of the pram, even if it means removing text from a lot of individual posts and replacing it with 'content removed by the OP' and leaving a slightly disjointed thread.

I appreciate this could be a big job, and something Andy doesn't want added to his workload, but I'm sure there are many who would volunteer to be given access to the suspended account and carry out the editing, it's not that often that this happens but it's a bit off when peoples freely given content ends up getting removed through no fault of their own, and makes the site poorer for it?

Peter

I've just gone on an old and dormant thread that I started a few years ago and deleted the first post leaving the rest intact. OK so it makes the first few answers a little disjointed but a thread will often take on a life of its own where the first posting becomes incidental so surely the OP could have just done that if he wanted too.

Not knowing anything about the specifics my assumption was that the OP was no longer 'welcome' on the site, but I would have thought it possible to issue a trusted volunteer to have a new password for the OP account and go in and edit all of the 'Items I started', but it's probably not that simple. But it also begs the question of what happens to other posts made by this person in other threads, have they all got to be removed as well?

It doesn't happen that often but damages this great resource.

Peter.

There is no way to just remove the first post I'm afraid. I'm sorry about that but it was the only solution.

Hi

So does that mean that all the freely & willingly given material posted on here for the benefit of others is lost forever?

Bearing in mind that most if not all was posted by contributors expecting that the record of their posts would be available for 'public viewing' for as long as the RMWeb site was up & running......

Cheers Bill

Sigh.

When someone is acting a complete **** in the early hours of the morning and I'm placed in an awkward position I have to take an action.

I am sorry if it's had any incidental impact and I don't expect anyone else to fully understand the issue but there wasn't an alternative in this case.

Hi Again

I am an avid follower of this topic in particular & the site in general......

I understand that actions have to be taken if a member crosses a line & whatever may have happened in this instance is not my concern....

However I go back to my previous question.......Is all that fantastic information lost?

I  posted & do post pics on on threads so that readers may hopefully gain by my post......

Does this mean that I am wasting my time.....

At shows I frequently say when asked about something to refer to a particular RMWeb article.... Although I can explain,I think the author can explain better.....

But if I've posted on a thread that the OP has decided to remove the potential convert is lost if the material can't be found......

The archive that has been 'deleted' (hopefully not) was donated by people who wanted their knowledge/pictures whatever to be shared by others,not for personal gain but for the general benefit of the hobby........

I rarely get wound up but it seems to me that for whatever reason (I'm no interested in the reason why)we the members have lost such an important resource without any say......

Why bother posting?

I can understand if  what I post is offensive but ........

Anyway I know you have a job to do but I for one am not a happy bunny having lost this thread....

Cheers

Bill

PS It's late & I'm up early tomorrow so G'night

Must have been pretty bad what they did to remove a complete thread. I agree with treggyman (Bill), whatever was said, it shouldn't mean that an entire thread be removed which has proved so interesting since it was started. I regularly refer back to this thread for information. Why not just remove the offensive posts and leave the rest?

Is there any way it can be restored???? It must be backed up somewhere.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Gutted, how can that one person have control over everybody else's freely given information, surely that can't be right in a democratic society?

Please, I'm not moaning...........just feel disappointed to have lost so much reference material for my layout based on somewhere miles from home

Well I'm not happy. Having spent ages trying to get a new account up and running due to the process not doing what it is supposed to, this happens. It was thee major thread in the whole section and a major source of info for everyone and not just us locals but future visitors too. Then there was the photos. Many on here will be unhappy at loseing those and at a time when the local scene is about to change.

I do not know what went on regarding op but surely the rest could have been left or even an explanation or a period given for people to recover THIER bits should they not have kept or were unable to keep a copy ?

As we are being devolved, perhaps a new version should be started asap a Kernow Today.... .

Feel free to start a new topic.

No amount of foot-stamping will change what it was necessary to do though, for legal, technical and practical reasons.

I don't think anyone has been 'foot stamping', merely expressing disappointment and surprise that a useful resource has been lost.

As an example, I started the 'Washout at Dawlish' thread that now runs to 195 pages. I freely admit that since starting it my contribution has been minor and I would be staggered that if I decided that I wanted my content to be removed that the whole of that valuable, interesting and entertaining information would be lost as well.

ROB

Archived