Missing Thread

• RMweb Gold

Better back up all interesting threads in case their OPs cause further deletions. Call it foot stamping if you like, but this reminds me of school teachers who detain the whole class because of one naughty boy.

....but who is going to further add to a thread which has the potential to vanish again?

Is it better to build the alternative with as much new & duplicate material as possible?

Does the OP of the new Kernow thread have both parents and grandparents available to vouch for him?.....would he take the last parking space just as an old lady was about to draw into it?......are we sure of all OPs?

How about chaining all toys to the pram?

Dave 

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest is it just me or are there actually a few threads missing/deleted ?

Another of the threads started by Mickey is not there and also looking through another I expected to see a post by Mickey and it wasn't there.?

Or am I just going mad.......again

ISTR that when something similar happened previously, only that member's posts disappeared. I would have thought that the software or whatever would allow that to be done . The thread does not belong to the OP and many people have gone to a lot of trouble finding photo's, diagrams etc as well as bl66dy tryping. It's a helluva shame to lose that work, so can I make a plea to Andy and team to look again at this for the future?

Thanks

Ed

At least the rest of the site is still here. There was a French wagon group which I subscribed to, and contributed; one day, following problems at the toy/pram interface, the whole thing disappeared. It does make you realise how emphemeral this medium is, in comparison with paper-based systems.

• RMweb Premium

If only it were that easy Londontram. I don't think anyone was having a rant. A lot of useful contributions have been removed, not just the posts that upset Andy Y.

I don't think it was necessarily a case of Andy being upset.

We all know that in this day and age there are all sorts of risks attached to public information.

In the case of RMWeb the responsibility lies with Andy.

He has to balance these responsibilities against the needs and wants of the forum users.

Being a Cornish exile myself (albeit living just over the border),

I am as disappointed as anyone at the loss of this thread,

but I'm sure Andy wouldn't have removed it unless it was absolutely necessary.

Interestingly I have just had a look at the list of moderators (is it me, or is this new?) and found out that the moderator for "railways of Cornwall" is, er.......Mickey (banned)

Ed

@ rab, I don't see that All the stuff was on the forum yesterday so what has changed? I suspect it may have been Mickey and one other. I've been there, had posts removed and can't access the thread (washout at Dawlish), but the other stuff is still there-many pages of it. So, it can be done.

....Andy has indicated that the OP asked for his threads/material to be removed....this doesn't suggest that the OP had much consideration for fellow posters/readers on/of same. How might denying the threads/collective work to his so called website colleagues have benefited him? 

Dave

There is a possible solution, a bit laborious but if you are desperate to get your posts back it might just work. Google the thread, including the page number if you know it. Then instead of clicking the link, click on the little green down arrow at the end of line below. Select 'Cached' and you should be able to view the page, although you will not be able to navigate to the others. Looks like anything posted up to the 18th July up to page 117 is there, although not all photos appear. Google keeps a record even if this site does not!

I have started a new thread and can I reassure people that I can't upset people online not just as I'm a modeller, enthusiast and user of our trains but also an employee so don't want to risk my job.. !!!

....you might still be risking it....using 3 exclamation marks....Andy won't like it.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry to say that I haven't been on for a few days, and hadn't spotted that Mickey and his thread had gone.

Thanks to Paul for starting the new one, anyway. I'll try to post some Cornish photos next time I'm down there and take a few.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't been on for a few days, and hadn't spotted that Mickey and his thread had gone.

Thanks to Paul for starting the new one, anyway. I'll try to post some Cornish photos next time I'm down there and take a few.

Have to agree with CK indeed! For all the furore, I hadn't even noticed but thanks to Paul, a 'new and improved version' has appeared. One of the attractions for me over here is the many pictures of the trains and countryside of the Duchy, both model and real. Can't get enough and many thanks to those who provide this nostalgia for myself and others.

Brian.

Archived