Glasgow Queen Street N gauge

mjkerr

So does this mean you are selling some of your excellent stock?

Yes, I go into greater detail on this layout on the N Gauge Forum

All the items are available on the N Gauge Forum until Sunday 08 October, and will then be on eBay UK

I have already received interest in the Mercig Studios models (from more than three people)

Reviewing the rolling stock for this layout, the best laid plans...

So sadly some departures

The BR Blue and Large Logo Blue Class 47/7, 47709 and 47712, and their respective Blue / Grey rakes do not fit in beside ScotRail, InterCity and INTERCITY livery, and Class 37/4 in Large Logo Blue / Triple Grey

There is no need for two HST, the Cross Country one only visited on Saturdays

With so many Class 37/4, no need for five Class 156, so reduced to three

Plenty of Class 47/4, so I can come back to this later, so eight disposed of

Afternoon there,

I've been following this topic for a while now as I'm constructing the EM gauge version of Queen St and for obvious reasons this interests me greatly.

Just reading through your latest posts and noticed the comments about the HST's. Forgive me for asking if you've already stated it somewhere, but have you nailed down the period of operation on your version of GQS? The reason I ask is because I have narrowed my period of modelling it to late summer/early Autumn 1988.

Owing to that, I have an arrivals and departures timetable for a full days operations at GQS from summer 1988. The first HST arrives in at 05.30 from Edinburgh and departs back there at 06.20.

There is then another HST booked to arrive at 07.14, again from Edinburgh and returns at 07.30. The next HST scheduled arrival is 22.53 from Edinburgh and departs only 7 minutes later at 23.00.

If you are modelling a later period than myself, then you may well be correct about the frequency ( or lack ) of HST's. With you stating that you are planning on having 156's running, they took over the W.Highland operations in Feb 1989, which is why I chose 1988 so that I can still have all the 37/4's plus a single 156 scuttling about on driver training/route learning! ( the opportunity to run one of Realtracks 156's was to great to pass up ), says to me that you may even be planning on running circa 1990?

Whatever your exact year of operation, the stock you have built up is looking wonderful. So difficult these days to ascertain whether it's 2mm or 4mm in photos, such is the quality of N gauge.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing some photos of the layout soon.

cheers

Andy

Just reading through your latest posts and noticed the comments about the HST's. Forgive me for asking if you've already stated it somewhere, but have you nailed down the period of operation on your version of GQS? The reason I ask is because I have narrowed my period of modelling it to late summer/early Autumn 1988.

Owing to that, I have an arrivals and departures timetable for a full days operations at GQS from summer 1988. The first HST arrives in at 05.30 from Edinburgh and departs back there at 06.20.

There is then another HST booked to arrive at 07.14, again from Edinburgh and returns at 07.30. The next HST scheduled arrival is 22.53 from Edinburgh and departs only 7 minutes later at 23.00.

If you are modelling a later period than myself, then you may well be correct about the frequency ( or lack ) of HST's. With you stating that you are planning on having 156's running, they took over the W.Highland operations in Feb 1989, which is why I chose 1988 so that I can still have all the 37/4's plus a single 156 scuttling about on driver training/route learning! ( the opportunity to run one of Realtracks 156's was to great to pass up ), says to me that you may even be planning on running circa 1990?

I am covering the general period when all the Class 47/7 were in ScotRail livery, to just before the appearance of the Class 158

From the Summer 1986 timetable, Monday to Friday

HST as follows :

07:00 EDB to GLQ 07:48

08:00 GLQ to EDB (KGX)

22:00 EDB to GLQ 22:53 (KGX)

23:00 GLQ to EDB

I am also using SIAM Rail, which is based on the summer 1988 timetable

This includes the 06:20 GLQ to EDB (KGX), however the 1986 timetable does not show this as a direct service

On arrival at Edinburgh it then became the 07:30 to KGX

07:14 GLQ to 07:30 EDB

As you can see later service was brought forward by 30 minutes

So difficult these days to ascertain whether it's 2mm or 4mm in photos, such is the quality of N gauge.

Sadly the couplings on the Class 37 and Class 47 (not the Class 47/7) give away it is N Gauge

• 1 month later...

The next three Large Logo Blue were completed at the beginning of October, however I noted errors on two of them, and they have been corrected now

Two of the three Large Logo Blue

47593 now corrected

47550-A-side-700.jpg

47593-B-side-700.jpg

47550 still has an error, but you would only notice if you compared the model against photos!

Edited by mjkerr
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

With being unable to travel, back to the layout

The original two DCC Sound Conversion and Mercig Studios models have now returned with LokSound decoders

These two originally had Zimo decoders, and all models thereafter had LokSound decoders

Now all models have LokSound decoders

This does mean I have lost some sound functions, but they were specific to these two models due to the Zimo decoders

However, they are all now the same

I had noted some Class 37 and Class 47 models were not running properly on the layout

Some of the obvious ones were erratic all the time, so two Class 47/7 were sent for inspection and that has been traced to excessive weathering on completion by Mercig Studios

These two models were tested and were found to work on all but one section of the layout

I then removed all the models from this section of the layout, disconnected the DCC, connected the DC, and then tested one of my remaining DC models

It too stalled on this section, so clearly the issue was with the track or wiring

The ultimate school boy error has been discovered!

When I constructed each section of the layout I was testing on DC

This section was completed and fully tested

It was then moved into position and once the next section was moved into position the isolating section was completed

This isolating section, whilst not essential, was in place for future zone detection (or whatever you would like to call it in DCC)

The Insulating Rail Joiners are at one end of the main crossing, the other end is partially isolated which electrofrog points require

As a result one rail is partially isolated, depending on the direction this crossing is set

It is also exactly the same length as a Class 37 or Class 47 model!

As a consequence during testing if the crossing was set in one direction it was isolated, in the other it was not

Equally, if the model was approaching at speed, whilst isolated, it could pass over but momentarily lose DCC connection

This made it look like the model itself was erratic!

I therefore removed the two Insulated Rail Joiners, replaced with metal ones, retested and ALL models run across this entire section now!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This project has now ended 

It commenced in 2012, put on hold when Farish announced the Class 47/7 and Mark 2 DBSO 
Due to ongoing delays the sound conversion models are still not completed, and still awaiting the Farish DBSO 

Throughout 2017 I was at home just 9 days 
I have decided to retain the Class 37/4 models, as these selected models are completed, and revise the scenic area 

The remaining models will be disposed of