Glasgow Queen Street N gauge

mjkerr

37196, yes and no

The livery is ideal, but all the photos I have looked at for 1989 don't include a sealed beam headlight

Several other Red Stripe Railfreight Class 37 locos did visit, but each presents its own problem (in N gauge)

I have a photo of 37160 on 08 Feb 1988, in very clean condition including Eastfield dog

However, it has a cut away buffer beam

The only other I can find is 37514, but I already have that covered as a 37/5

Dug out one photo which is 37669 in red strip railfreight, has sealed bean headlight but obviously a refurbished one and not a "0". Photo dates October 87. Will have a run through others tomorrow and see if there's any others. 37008 seems to spring to mind.

Dug out one photo which is 37669 in red strip railfreight, has sealed bean headlight but obviously a refurbished one and not a "0". Photo dates October 87

37669 visiting Glasgow Queen Street, so yet another 37/5 that has sneeked through

Oddly, overhauled and remained based at Eastfield for 6 months

Specific to this loco, it appears to have made its way to Fort William, two months after conversion so suggests it remained for testing and viability to supplement the 37/4 fleet, but cut short after the refurbishment program was cut short

3 months later and it joined the remaining Laira fleet

Edited by mjkerr

Several other Red Stripe Railfreight Class 37 locos did visit, but each presents its own problem (in N gauge)

I have a photo of 37160 on 08 Feb 1988, in very clean condition including Eastfield dog

However, it has a cut away buffer beam

Mercig Studios have confirmed this conversion is possible, so this is the model I have selected

That is my list of Scottish based locos that visited Glasgow Queen Street almost complete now

I know Class 20 rarely visited, but I can't remember seeing one
I will be selecting one (eventually)

This now leaves me looking for celebrity / non-passenger locos that visited in the period 1985 to 1990
I have enough Class 37 now, so looking for one or two additional Class 47
I know several Class 47 locos visited before or after visiting Glasgow Works, so these are most likely
Any suggestions and photos welcome

I am almost sure of the following :
47018 in Railfreight Grey, 19 Sep 1988 but already Eastfield based
47114 (already included) but already Eastfield based
47227 in Red Stripe Railfreight Grey, 11 Aug 1988 (rescue 47430)
47406 Rail Riders (no plaque) in InterCity livery, 25 Oct 1985, but I am reluctant to include
47500 Great Western, 29 Dec 1985
47515 in InterCity livery, with yellow headcode box, but briefly Eastfield based
47523 in BR Blue, 15 Nov 1988
47525 in InterCity livery, but briefly Eastfield based
47580 in Large Logo Blue, 10 May 1990

Edited by mjkerr

That is my list of Scottish based locos that visited Glasgow Queen Street almost complete now

I know Class 20 rarely visited, but I can't remember seeing one

I will be selecting one (eventually)

This now leaves me looking for celebrity / non-passenger locos that visited in the period 1985 to 1990

I have enough Class 37 now, so looking for one or two additional Class 47

I know several Class 47 locos visited before or after visiting Glasgow Works, so these are most likely

Any suggestions and photos welcome

I am almost sure of the following :

47018 in Railfreight Grey, 19 Sep 1988 but already Eastfield based

47114 (already included) but already Eastfield based

47227 in Red Stripe Railfreight Grey, 11 Aug 1988 (rescue 47430)

47406 Rail Riders (no plaque) in InterCity livery, 25 Oct 1985, but I am reluctant to include

47500 Great Western, 29 Dec 1985

47515 in InterCity livery, with yellow headcode box, but briefly Eastfield based

47523 in BR Blue, 15 Nov 1988

47525 in InterCity livery, but briefly Eastfield based

47580 in Large Logo Blue, 10 May 1990

I'm sure I have seen a pic of one of the Stratford based NSE 47's.

20 were not that rare they were quite often used on stock duties

I'm sure I have seen a pic of one of the Stratford based NSE 47's.

20 were not that rare they were quite often used on stock duties

I have photos of 47596, around the Inverness and Aberdeen area in August 1991, but have been unable to confirm it performed on a Glasgow service

Although I cannot remember any Class 20 at Glasgow Queen Street, I am fairly sure I must have given I visited almost every weekend from 1984 through to 1989 (and almost every day during summer holidays)

The photo is before 1985, and I never saw any Class 20 in Scotland with discs (such as on the Hunterston, Lugton traffic, etc)

More common were Class 26, again already got that covered

Edited by mjkerr

Enjoyed reading this thread and sounds like you are making good progress with what will be a very accurate model..well done.

Look forward to seeing this on the circuit just a pity its not ready for the 2016 50th anniversary show at SECC as it would have been a very welcome addition.

We are currently also building a large exhibition layout of a central Scotland mainline location to take over from Alloa but this will be 4mmF/S.

I have loads of pics taken in that era including hours of video with quite a bit at Queen St following the 47/7s in their last days so will look through them and if anything interesting will advise and can forward if required.

Dave 

2010-12-26_3-M.jpg

2011-01-26_1-M.jpg

Not sure of the date but probably 1989 or 90 a rare loco at Queen street. 47401 which from memory was still based at Gateshead. Note the missing nameplate.

Great shot of the original generator Darrel and as you say pretty rare at Queen St .

I was shooting video one dark winters night at York and this loco arrived from Liverpool on a Newcastle service exactly as your pic but still with its plates.

Nice shots in the night of crew changing before setting off again but of course early days with the new fangled format and slightly grainy compared to what we take for granted now in the digital age.

Always liked this one and bought the Vi Trains model ..doesn't fit within our train set time period but did stick it on when no one was looking!

post-2371-0-90278000-1441672615_thumb.jpg

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 2

Not sure of the date but probably 1989 or 90 a rare loco at Queen street

47401 which from memory was still based at Gateshead

Note the missing nameplate.

47401 had the nameplates removed in May 1988, when transferred to Immingham and reallocated to Parcels sector

Not sure why it would visit Glasgow QS, waiting for a slot at Glasgow Works, covering for a Scottish 47 or in order to move it to Inverness for a Parcels diagram

However can't find any other photos of it at Inverness or Aberdeen, so most likely working ECS duties

Edited by mjkerr

Enjoyed reading this thread and sounds like you are making good progress with what will be a very accurate model..well done.

Look forward to seeing this on the circuit just a pity its not ready for the 2016 50th anniversary show at SECC as it would have been a very welcome addition

I have no plans to present this layout at any exhibitions, at the moment

Equally, it is not being built for transportation, but to be fixed

However, the baseboards can be split, if required

Instead I will be making two sets of videos available

The first are pre-recorded and will be uploaded to video

The second will be streaming sessions, with live chat available

This will be ideal for those days when weather is poor and winter!

• Like 2

I have no plans to present this layout at any exhibitions, at the moment

Equally, it is not being built for transportation, but to be fixed

However, the baseboards can be split, if required

Instead I will be making two sets of videos available

The first are pre-recorded and will be uploaded to video

The second will be streaming sessions, with live chat available

This will be ideal for those days when weather is poor and winter!

Look forward to it..it looks superb.

Dave

47574 in Incomplete Large Logo blue
I have found a photo of it on Inverness - Glasgow service 25 Mar 1989, and at Carlisle a few weeks before that
I am fairly sure I saw this loco, as you do tend to remember when you see a Stratford loco in Scotland!
Looks like this was waiting a slot for Glasgow Works, as it shows in Parcels livery in 1989

I have plenty of photos of this loco, very easy to cover this correctly

Ironically, I plan to include 47577 (which was Eastfield based by that time), as it was a memorable loco due to the state of its Incomplete Large Logo livery, and the nameplates went to 47574

Edited by mjkerr

Dug out one photo which is 37669 in red strip railfreight, has sealed bean headlight but obviously a refurbished one and not a "0". Photo dates October 87. Will have a run through others tomorrow and see if there's any others. 37008 seems to spring to mind.

Well the search much to my suprise didn't bring up other railfreight 37s at Queen Street, sorry. Perplexed because I'm sure there was one. Pretty likely that one did appear in the early period....

47401 had the nameplates removed in May 1988, when transferred to Immingham and reallocated to Parcels sector

Not sure why it would visit Glasgow QS, waiting for a slot at Glasgow Works, covering for a Scottish 47 or in order to move it to Inverness for a Parcels diagram

However can't find any other photos of it at Inverness or Aberdeen, so most likely working ECS duties

Not connected to 47s at Queen St with but your knowledge you might be able to shed some light on an issue concerning a nameplate.

A friend has who is not a railway enthusiast..he owns and runs classic busses!…has in his possesion a replica name/number and crest for '47500 Great Western'.

The plates are superb and obviously professionally produced as when viewed mounted on a wall they look like the real thing.

Name and number seem to be from wood and the crest a cast resin.

Story is and has been substantiated from two Scotrail personnel that often plates were produced as replicas for namings to fit in with a schedule ..often for one side only.. and then the loco would have the proper cast plates fitted at a works visit when suitable.

I initially doubted this but as said two independent railway professionals from Buchanan house have suggested same story and I suppose it does make sense.

Do you or anyone out there have any knowledge of this practice?

Obviously if there was some provenance that the plates had at one time been carried by the loco even for a short time it could help make them easier to sell on.

Attached images of plates and crest.

post-2371-0-95265900-1441747411_thumb.jpg

37669 visiting Glasgow Queen Street, so yet another 37/5 that has sneeked through

Oddly, overhauled and remained based at Eastfield for 6 months

Specific to this loco, it appears to have made its way to Fort William, two months after conversion so suggests it remained for testing and viability to supplement the 37/4 fleet, but cut short after the refurbishment program was cut short

3 months later and it joined the remaining Laira fleet

I remember seeing 37699 going past my school on its way to fort William. It was just after 9am passing through Helensburgh. Not sure what time that was leaving queen street. I remember being surprised. It was too far away to get the number, large logo livery was so much better from my classroom window. I phoned eastfield depot after school to find out the number. In those days the number was in the phonebook.

The prototype sprinter 150001 worked the same train two days in a row around about the same time.

A couple of years earlier a familiar sight would be the oban train with the Mexican bean coupled on the rear going to or from eastfield that would make an interesting train to model.

Also common was ETHELs coupled inside train locos during the day, presumably to swap over with another ETHEL at the fort.

Another daily sight at Queen street was an arrival from Aberdeen about 1pm. Push pull with the DBSO at the buffer end 47 at the eastfield end. Coupled inside the loco was a mk3 sleeper coach. Either intercity livery or blue grey. It would arrive into platform 7. The loco would uncouple run into the tunnel then back into either platform 5 or 6 inside the signal. A class 26 would then arrive light engine couple onto the sleeper uncouple it from the rest of the train then shunt the sleeper into platform 5 or 6. The 47 would then shunt back into platform 7 couple on ready for departure. The 26 and sleeper would then depart for cowlairs carriage depot.

Why it did not go straight there from platform 7 I don't know, but it worked like that every weekday. I was a junior railman at Bellgrove signal box at the time and would go into queen street on my way home to watch it. Even had a few cab rides during the shunts, wouldn't get away with that these days.

you might be able to shed some light on an issue concerning a nameplate.

in his possesion a replica name/number and crest for '47500 Great Western'.

The plates are superb and obviously professionally produced as when viewed mounted on a wall they look like the real thing.

Name and number seem to be from wood and the crest a cast resin.

Story is and has been substantiated from two Scotrail personnel that often plates were produced as replicas for namings to fit in with a schedule

Replica nameplates are often produced once the cast nameplates have been completed, and by similar process

They are all then painted, and the cast nameplates can easily be identified by the weight!

Presentation nameplates are often reduced ratio size as well, otherwise they could not be handed over!

A genuine nameplate typically weighs about 40kg and it was normal practice for two people to move them

Another daily sight at Queen street was an arrival from Aberdeen about 1pm. Push pull with the DBSO at the buffer end 47 at the eastfield end. Coupled inside the loco was a mk3 sleeper coach. Either intercity livery or blue grey. It would arrive into platform 7. The loco would uncouple run into the tunnel then back into either platform 5 or 6 inside the signal. A class 26 would then arrive light engine couple onto the sleeper uncouple it from the rest of the train then shunt the sleeper into platform 5 or 6. The 47 would then shunt back into platform 7 couple on ready for departure. The 26 and sleeper would then depart for cowlairs carriage depot.

Why it did not go straight there from platform 7 I don't know, but it worked like that every weekday. I was a junior railman at Bellgrove signal box at the time and would go into queen street on my way home to watch it. Even had a few cab rides during the shunts, wouldn't get away with that these days.

From memory this was as a result of the sleeper timetable change in 1985

The shunt off Platform 7 into another Platform was required due to lack of access to/from Cowlairs at that time

This movement was later simplified with the 47/7 simply taking the sleeper to Cowlairs, refuelling / swapping and returning about 1 hour later

This had to be completed within 15 minutes of arrival

I remember once this service arrived late, so the sleeper was dumped into Platform 1 by the 47/7 and retrieved by a 37/4 about 3 hours later

Replica nameplates are often produced once the cast nameplates have been completed, and by similar process

They are all then painted, and the cast nameplates can easily be identified by the weight!

Presentation nameplates are often reduced ratio size as well, otherwise they could not be handed over!

A genuine nameplate typically weighs about 40kg and it was normal practice for two people to move them

Theres no question of them being replica as they seem to be cut very accurately from some sort of an mdf material while the crest is very nicely moulded in resin but they are full size.

The story was that they were used for a naming ceremony prior to the loco having the 'proper' cast plates fitted later and when operationally suitable but I wondered if there was any possible validity to this.

I thought it unlikely but at the Perth show where they were behind Neil Booths stand in case anyone fancied making an offer two Glasgow railwaymen both retired and not together quite unprompted said they were probably made as a substitute for the real thing prior to the locos being fitted with the cast plates later at works or shed..either that or as you say for presentation and publicity purposes.

It was interesting to hear this as they talked like it was not uncommon in fact one of them said before he retired he remembers seeing them either new for forwarding or returned after the proper sets were fitted at the office in Glasgow. 

This would make them pretty low value I suppose but they are nice things and if offered up for sale at Swindon rather than Perth would probably have found a home.

Edited by vitalspark

• 2 weeks later...

Layout progress has been slow, but steady

The two scenic baseboards were completed earlier this week and then moved into position
There were some problems getting models to run over the points, but this is due to switch blades not making contact with the rails

baseboard402.jpg

• Like 5

I have tried to avoid computer control, but knew it would be inevitable
Whilst I like my Lenz Set 100, the handset is awful
I had planned to add a second handset, but after seeing several computer controlled layouts and most recently at this years N Gauge Show, have decided to progress this option

The first recommendation I have is for SPROG 3
I have raised several questions on another (N Gauge) forum, and can now see the advantages as my fleet increases back to where it was before
Equally, I want all the models to be comparable

As I understand it once I have SPROG 3 with DecoderPro installed I can pretty much stop using the Lenz handset, and use the laptop Throttle instead
The only thing I cannot find in the documentation is if two or more Throttle are possible

As Glasgow Queen Street has two tracks at the tunnel the plan was for two handsets, so in turn would be two Throttle
One will control each side of the tunnel (Up to Edinburgh and Down from Edinburgh)

After recommendations ordered the SPROG 3 to allow me more programming control (using JMRI)
Further research confirmed this could also be used as a Command station
As a result I also ordered a new laptop, solely for layout use

After ordering on Monday, both arrived today, so spent this afternoon setting up and installing

Firstly I had to finish off the joining baseboard, between the scenic baseboards and the fiddle yard

In the limited time I had, turned out I was using DecoderPro in programming mode, as only one Throttle could be used
Later on I figured out Command Station mode

The rest of the day was spent removing all the remaining junk and clutter from the layout room
I had kept a lot of this "just in case", but now that the majority of the layout is complete I could sift through it
This includes excess timber, boxes, tools, etc

There are also some excess models which I was considering including in this layout, but they don't quite fit in (Mark 1 coaches in InterCity livery), plus two spare Mark 3A coaches also no longer required

The Lenz Set 100 is now disconnected
Saturday and Sunday will be spent familiarising with this replacement DCC setup, after which the Lenz Set 100 will be reset and then also join these removed items