Glasgow Queen Street N gauge

mjkerr

All the inaccuracies you mentioned can be worked around.

Roof: this would need some work filing off the toilet hatch and adding in the roof vents. I think I have seen someone mentioned using track pins for the vents.

Underframe: N train make a 3d print that you could use.

Doors. Very little work needed here as they are printed on the vinyls

The newer vinyls are fully printed on clear vinyl so that there is no window cutouts, it makes them look so much neater.

The newer vinyls are fully printed on clear vinyl so that there is no window cutouts, it makes them look so much neater.

The main issue is the thickness of the window frame

It doesn't look like it has changed, and looks too flat

I will probably discuss with Adam at this years N Gauge Show, to see if this previous issue has improved

The roof and underframe are easy, if the parts are available

Whilst I agree using vinyls is necessary for coaches that aren't possible, with my amount of rolling stock it is now a step backwards as I have replaced most of the coaches that had vinyls; the DBSO will be the final batch to be replaced, leaving just the TSO(T)

Edited by mjkerr

I'd say any livery is possible with an airbrush, and yes the decals to brand it too.

Obtaining the livery is no longer a problem on coaches, as the latest models can be repainted, which was near impossible with the older printed side models

Equally, I am quite lucky as almost all the rolling stock / liveries used by ScotRail between 1984 and 1990 are available

Regards the Mk2c; would this possibly be a candidate for a 3D print body?  I'm thinking use the regular Farish 2a windows, roof, chassis/underframe and bogies and just replace the body.  Underframe could be chopped and changed with a sharp knife and some plasticard where required.  Just a thought.

I am currently waiting for the new Farish Mark 2F

Parts of this can be cobbled together with the Mark 2A, repaint and weather, and voila Mark 2C

Hmmm, what are we talking here?  Obtain a 2A and a 2F, take the glazing from the 2A, deepen the window 'holes' in the 2F and insert 2A glazing?  Modify roof and underframe as required?

Pretty much, the FO would be the basis

I already have a spare Mark 2A FK and Mark 2A BSO

One side of the interior (four bays) is going into the BSO to make a BFK

This leaves the other half of the interior for the Mark 2C CK

I am also considering converting a Mark 2F TSO into a Mark 2C TSO(T)

Priority at the moment is completing the layout

Work has now started on my Class 37/4 and Class 47/7 locos, as all the Farish locos I require are available and were purchased in the first half of this year
The first batch is now completed (photos above), the second batch can't be far away, and the third batch should be completed towards the end of next month

I therefore am going to need storage for them very shortly!

The previous fiddle yards have been modified and are now essentially complete
I encountered some problems with one of the point motor pins, but this was due to an oversight with alignment

I have been testing various methods of affixing track to the baseboard of the scenic area
Previously I used track pins, but as the track was Code 80 this was not an issue
This time I am using Code 55 (in the scenic area) and so track pins will NOT be used
Affixing the straight track is dead easy, the challenge has been the points
Previously I drilled holes without any consideration for the end result, but NOT this time
After pinning the point, marking then removing the point, very small holes were drilled for the point motor pin
So far I have one point in position, and the hole is near invisible this time

Almost resigned myself to just passenger trains
Compiling photos for my list of Class 37/4 to be completed and came across the photo below
Claims to be Sunday 26 April 1987
Does anyone have any details?
If not, can anyone identify the wagons?
The rear loco looks like either a Class 26 or Class 37, again can anyone help with that?
Presumably this was simply a reversal in order to carry out work between the station and Cowlairs depot?

6059538655_281fa251f0_z.jpg

Track laying is moving along slowly, now completed platforms 4 and 5
Clearance was checked for the overbridge supports at the ends of Platforms 2 to 7 (which sit between the tracks)

Next issue is the concrete slab between the overbridge supports
However, I have since noted it is only present on Platforms 2/3 and 4/5
Furthermore, a drainage membrane was added to Platforms 6/7 and later to 4/5
It appears to be traditional timber sleepers on Platforms 6/7, also with a drainage membrane

I am looking for a material and method to recreate this
Platform 2/3 -
8612627503_a5ce49988f_b.jpg

Platform 4/5 -
8070093485_e1d8dcb5eb_b.jpg

Edited by mjkerr

Now looking to purchase materials / components for the platform edges
They are quite a mix!

From the concourse to the platform ramps :

Platform 1 -
Unknown (assuming ramp as below)

Platform 2 -
Stone - Brick ramp (appears to have been replaced by a Breeze block ramp when the single signal was installed)

Platform 3 -
Concrete - Concrete ramp

Platform 4 -
Stone - Brick - Breeze block ramp

Platform 5 -
Stone - Breeze block ramp

Platform 6 -
Concrete - Breeze block ramp

Platform 7 -
Concrete - Concrete ramp

Does anyone know what material the side of Platform 1 is?
I can't find any photos (no surprise really)

In the interim period I am going to use a Metcalfe kit, so that there are at least platforms in place
Plan is to replace this with something more realistic looking

Edited by mjkerr

Instead of using metcalf kits have you tried looking at Scalscenes. They do a very simple/cheap kit that looks realistic, you can purchase the ones for the different faces then build as many as you need

The stone the you are looking at all over GQS is called Random Ashlar.

Carl

Looks like 2 had a brink ramp in '79

but was concrete in '86

Yes, I was aware of this

I even have a photo of Platform 1 not connected at all

The overhead signal was then removed, revised pointwork installed, the platform slightly realigned, and a new signal installed (similar to the signal already at Platform 7)

I am modelling the latest setup, so concrete breeze blocks will be preferred

As it hasn't changed since, looks like yet another trip to the station is required!

Instead of using metcalf kits have you tried looking at Scalscenes. They do a very simple/cheap kit that looks realistic, you can purchase the ones for the different faces then build as many as you need

The stone the you are looking at all over GQS is called Random Ashlar.

I considered Scalescenes, but I don't want to download and print, if I can avoid it

I want a high quality finish

Random Ashlar

I assume you are referring to the main walls to tunnels

I don't mind download and print of these, if I can't find a supplier

From what I can work out there are at least seven different building materials (excluding platform surfaces)

Red Brick (platform facing ends)

Black Brick (Platform 7 supporting wall)

Stone Platform and ramps

Random Ashlar (walls to tunnels)

Grey brick (platform ramps)

Breeze Block (stone platform ramp extensions)

Concrete platforms and ramps

Edited by mjkerr

Have you got a photo of the tunnel mouth that you can post here? Seems unlikely to me that it would be ashlar.

The tunnel appears to be the same as the high level walls leading to the tunnel

However, there does appear to be a brick / concrete lining just visible

6757527229_c37bf01bd8_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FInishing off my list of Class 37 livery variations and actual locos that visited Glasgow Queen Street  (1987 to 1992)

Large Logo Blue (6 x 37/4)
Department Grey / Yellow (37043)
Triple Grey Metal (37423)
Triple Grey Petrol (37707)
Triple Grey Distribution (TBC)
Triple Grey Construction (N/A as 37425 in Large Logo Blue)

I have a 37/0 central headcode leftover
I was hoping to cover 37374 in Red Stripe Railfreight, but I can't find any suitable photos
Were there any other such suitable 37 in this livery to visit Glasgow Queen Street?
Are there any other liveries I have overlooked? (excluding BR Blue)

FInishing off my list of Class 37 livery variations and actual locos that visited Glasgow Queen Street  (1987 to 1992)

I was hoping to cover 37374 in Red Stripe Railfreight, but I can't find any suitable photos

Were there any other such suitable 37 in this livery to visit Glasgow Queen Street?

What about some 37/4's in mainline? I'm also sure that some plain blue versions would have been around in that time frame.

What about some 37/4's in mainline? I'm also sure that some plain blue versions would have been around in that time frame.

Yes, but I currently have an old style Farish 37431 and will select a replacement next year (most likely to be 37402)

I am reluctant to include a BR Blue 37/0, but those I can find photos have don't have a sealed beam headlight

I appear to have drawn a blank on a 37/0 or 37/3 in Red Stripe Railfreight

This then leaves me with Large Logo Blue (but personally enough with 37/4) or BR Blue

The next problem is finding such a loco with a sealed beam headlight, many either had none or a high level lamp, so that I can repaint the body (37174 in EWS livery)

Edited by mjkerr

• RMweb Gold

The tunnel appears to be the same as the high level walls leading to the tunnel

However, there does appear to be a brick / concrete lining just visible

6757527229_c37bf01bd8_b.jpg

I think that they have too much shape/depth to be ashlar. Almost certainly stone blocks.

Is there not a Slaters' Plastikard that is a reasonable match for that?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

I think that they have too much shape/depth to be ashlar. Almost certainly stone blocks.

Is there not a Slaters' Plastikard that is a reasonable match for that?

I will purchasing the materials at this years N Gauge Show, so looking at Ashlar gives me a starting point

Also visited Glasgow Queen Street today

After their initial refusal to allow me access to the platforms to take measurements, no problems today

The pillars on platform 1/2 and 5/6 are 0.60m wide and 3.10m apart

Loads of photos as well, showing how the buffers are located and offset

Finally, alignment of Cathedral Street overbridge to rolling stock underneath

The only photo I really struggled with was to obtain the side of Platform 1, but it looks pretty much like a concrete side

Does 37196 in red stripe railfreight fit the bill? July 89 it did the 1803 Inverness, it actually brought the stock in but then banked the 26 which dropped on the front. We went Cowlairs south-west, deposited the 26 and 196 then worked to Inverness via Cowlairs West-North. Don't think I have a photo but will have a look over the weekend. Sure I have photo of another red stripe RF 37 on some ECS in that period in addition.

Dave

Does 37196 in red stripe railfreight fit the bill? July 89 it did the 1803 Inverness

Sure I have photo of another red stripe RF 37 on some ECS in that period in addition

37196, yes and no

The livery is ideal, but all the photos I have looked at for 1989 don't include a sealed beam headlight

Several other Red Stripe Railfreight Class 37 locos did visit, but each presents its own problem (in N gauge)

I have a photo of 37160 on 08 Feb 1988, in very clean condition including Eastfield dog

However, it has a cut away buffer beam

The only other I can find is 37514, but I already have that covered as a 37/5

Edited by mjkerr