Glasgow Queen Street N gauge

mjkerr

That looks like a Mercig marvel??!!

Yes, decided to bin my previous layout and almost all my previous models, start from scratch in 2012, ironically a few weeks later Farish announced ScotRail 47/7 and DBSO

This has allowed me to build a war chest (bulging wallet)

It has been a long 3 years and decided to have some of my older models simply repainted, and all the others upgraded by Mercig Studios

Earlier this year Wickness Models announced a tie-in, although my first batch of Class 47 had already been sent to Mercig Studios (these will eventually return to Wickness Models for sound)  

So all my models go to Wickness Models for sound fitting and then to Mercig Studios

I currently have enough rolling stock for :

2 blue / grey Mark 3A push-pull 

2 ScotRail Mark 2D push-pull

4 ScotRail Mark 3A push-pull

1 INTERCITY / ScotRail push-pull

I also plan to eventually cover all 16 of the Class 47/7 (excluding 47713)

With respect to Class 37/4, this loco was included in my first Class 47 batch, hence the delay

So I have now batched models together, and another Class 37 batch is currently underway

This includes :

1 x 37/0 Civil Engineers Grey Yellow

1 x 37/0 Red Stripe Railfreight

1 x 37/0 Triple Grey Coal

6 x 37/4 Large Logo Blue

1 x 37/4 Triple Grey Metal

1 x 37/7 Triple Grey Petroleum

A future batch will include one 37/4 in InterCity Mainline, likely to be 37402

For these locos I have three Oban / Fort William rakes

For all the other Class 47/4 locos there are currently three Inverness rakes (but they not quite correct) and one Polmadie rake (awaiting a BFK)

Edited by mjkerr

Looks like you're going to be keeping Ian busy

Douglas of Wickness Models advised he didn't have any problems, so all the locos went in one parcel

I met up with Ian of Mercig Studios at this years N Gauge Show to find out how best to progress, and he agreed to complete in batches was easier, but should have all of them done by way of two batches, one of Class 37 (first) and Class 47 (second)

• 2 months later...

Moving on to my rakes of coaches and the combinations possible

I am trying to work out the full range of liveries for these locos

Part A -

Two rakes of Mark 3A coaches in blue / grey livery with Class 47/7 in BR Blue / Large Logo Blue

probably up to 1984 :

37/4 in Large Logo Blue

47/4 in BR Blue

47/4 in incomplete Large Logo Blue (47586 / 47604)

47/4 in Large Logo Blue

47/4 in original InterCity

47/4 in original NSE

Is this too early for 47430 / 47469 in Intercity ScotRail, as I believe these were the first two in this livery?

Part B -

Four rakes of Mark 3A coaches in ScotRail livery

Did these ever operate with 47/7 locos in BR Blue / Large Logo Blue?

probably up to 1992 :

The above liveries, plus

37/4 in InterCity Mainline

37/4 in Triple Grey Distribution

37/4 in Triple Grey Metal

37/4 in Triple Grey Construction

37 in Department Grey

47 in Triple Grey (all types)

47/4 in InterCity / INTERCITY

47/4 in Parcels (red / grey)

47 in revised NSE

Finally, is the SCOTRAIL (Regional Railways) Mark 2 rake -

probably up to 1996

The above liveries plus

37 in Civil Engineers

37 in SCOTRAIL

Thereafter the layout at Glasgow Queen Street was modified, I do not have an exact date though

• 3 weeks later...

The third batch of my projects has now been completed by Mercig Studios, and this completes all (five of) the Large Logo Blue 37/4

When compared with 37404 already completed, the subtle differences can be seen

37401-B-side-696.jpg

37405-B-side-700.jpg

37413-B-side-686.jpg

37425-A-side-698.jpg

Edited by mjkerr
  • Like 8

Will Mercig be weathering the stock too?

The weathering of the rolling stock is currently on hold, as I am (still) waiting for the matching Farish DBSO

Equally, only generic weathering would be required and at £40 per coach soon mounts up

I will most likely split the weathering with Millfield Models, with them completing the older coaches

Priority at the moment is completing ALL the locos, and I am about half way through having the fleet fitted with sound, then modified by Mercig Studios

The next batch of Class 47 locos for sound modification is about to be sent to Wickness Models

• 2 months later...

The fourth batch, of my projects has now been completed by Mercig Studios, last of the Class 37, and this completes all the 37/4

This is an unusual Class 37, due to the cut away buffer beam 

Differs from the base 37/5 that was used, sadly the larger Petroleum sector symbols are not available but you would not notice unless comparing to photos! 

37043-B-side-700.jpg

37160-B-side-700.jpg

37212-A-side-700.jpg

37423-B-side-700.jpg

37707-A-side-700.jpg

Edited by mjkerr
  • Like 9

Looks like you have a fantastic fleet of 37's now.

I disposed of all my older Class 37 a few weeks ago

This included the Regional Railways and InterCity Mainline liveries

Farish have just announced a Regional Railways Class 37/4

I had hoped for an InterCity Mainline, so that will most likely have to be a repaint but the Regional Railways can be used as a base

I might also add one final 37/4 in Distribution, as a few of them also carried this livery in Scotland

Edited by mjkerr

Its convinced me to send a few things to mercig myself too!

If you need any advice on selecting a loco let me know

The first batch I sent went direct to Mercig Studios

They had just been completed when a partnership with Wickness Models was announced, where sound is fitted first

It was suggested they be sent to Wickness Models for completion

Instead I wanted to test sound in one Class 37 and one Class 47, so that was the next batch (hence why only one 37/4 and 47/7 appears above)

After initial testing I was sold, and each batch thereafter went to Wickness Models along with an envelope of instructions for Mercig Studios

The models then came back from Wickness Models along with the Sound instructions

Sadly Wickness Models kept changing the Sound hardwae specifications, even though I made it clear from the beginning I wanted them all the same

This has since been resolved, the first two models completed will be going back for the hardware to be replaced

The sound fitting costs about £200 per loco (£160 for Class 37 and £200 for Class 47)

The Mercig Studios work costs about £240 per loco (Class 37 renumbering) to £300 per loco (Class 37 repaint)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Due to work commitments I had to send an eMail to Ian at Mercig Studios to find out what the timescale was for my next batch 
Very little point completing them for May when I am travelling so much 

Agreed for the second batch of Class 47 to be completed for June 2016 

• 2 months later...

Apologies, the Virgin Media Website Hosting has now closed, so many of the image links have died

So I now have a more appropriate Domain Name (thanks Virgin Media for that)

This project is nearing its end, the second of three batches of sound fitted Class 47 locos due by the end of this month

That still just leaves the DBSO

I have been waiting 6 months for the vinyls...

• 3 weeks later...

These Class 47/7 have light / moderate weathering

Reference photos were supplied for unique details to each loco :

Heavier above cab, especially No 1 end

Faded paintwork and damage where RCH cables have come loose

Graduated weathering towards the No 2 end (due to push-pull operations) and paintwork damage at No 1 end

Heavier above cab, especially No 2 end

Two vertical oil streaks on B side and light blue data panel

Heavier above cab, especially No 2 end

Light blue data panel

Edited by mjkerr
  • Like 1

These locos are all looking superb.

These Class 47/7 are all quite similar, with light weathering and medium / heavy roof weathering

Rather disappointed the deadlines for completion are slipping

The next batch was supposed to be underway by now, but hasn't even been started (was due to be completed by the end of July 2016)

I have concerns over the rather generic roof weathering, but the locomotive specific detailing I have requested out weighs this

This will become very obvious with the next batch of Class 47/7 which has both extremes, from ex-works, repaint to coated in oil

Replacement vinyls for the DBSO arrived last week, so these can also now be completed

Until the (very) long awaited Farish version arrives

How is the layout progressing?

No progress, due to numerous factors

First was work, which I knew would take over between February and August this year (Star Wars Episode 8)

You may have noticed I spend more time on layout construction during Autumn / Winter, so I will be finishing this off towards the end of this year

However, in the interim period I will be modifying one point and installing the pointwork electrics

I can then at least operate some sample trains in push-pull operations with the first 5 Class 47/7 (full timetable with one spare)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rather disappointed the deadlines for completion are slipping

The next batch was supposed to be underway by now, but hasn't even been started (was due to be completed by the end of July 2016)

I suspect the suppliers read this topic! 

The next batch has been split into two halves, and the first half is nearing completion 

The second half should be completed next month 

Sadly the supplier appears to be out of Sound Decoders, so another gap in completion has appeared 

It looks like the next batch of Class 47 models will not be started until September and completed by November / December 

There is then one final batch of Class 47 models, so will not be started until October and completed by December / January 

After that we move on to the low volume locos (Class 26 and Class 43 / HST Power Car) 

Then finally the DMU (Class 101 and 156) 

I suspect the suppliers read this topic! 

The next batch has been split into two halves, and the first half is nearing completion 

The second half should be completed next month 

Sadly the supplier appears to be out of Sound Decoders, so another gap in completion has appeared 

It looks like the next batch of Class 47 models will not be started until September and completed by November / December 

There is then one final batch of Class 47 models, so will not be started until October and completed by December / January 

After that we move on to the low volume locos (Class 26 and Class 43 / HST Power Car) 

Then finally the DMU (Class 101 and 156)

You will have quite a line up of locos once they are all completed. Look forward to seeing the next batch.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
The next batch of completed models is nearing completion 

A small website update (although it took a few days to complete) 
Removed, the old dead links 
Updated with information for each specific locomotive that will be retained 
The specific pages will be updated with reference photos in due course 

As an aside, filming of Star Wars (Episode 8) finished at the end of July, but there is some additional work for Rogue One currently taking place so free time has turned into work time 
The film schedule for the next standalone film (as yet intitled Han Solo film) has been pulled forward, so the break between films is not as long as I had hoped!
Edited by mjkerr
  • Like 1

The sixth batch, of my projects has now been completed by Mercig Studios, second of the Class 47/4 and third of the Class 47/7 

The photo of 47546 was updated, to include snowploughs

The weathering on 47717 is not correct, but the difference is minimal that this photo will not be replaced 

47546-A-side-700.jpg

47546-B-side-700.jpg

47702-A-side-700.jpg

47709-B-side-700.jpg

47717-B-side-700.jpg

47702 :

Note this is the first Class 47 Flush End conversion, and I impressed with the results such that the remainder of the Class 47/7 with Flush Ends will now be completed

The Experiment 100mph speed limit label has also been applied to the cab doors

Edited by mjkerr
  • Like 6

Yesterday :

I had to make some changes to the electrics in the room

Replace the ceiling light, from a spot light cluster back to a standard light fitting

Replace the light switch

As this work was going to create some dust this was the best time to complete all this work, before all the locomotives are unpacked and would then need protecting

So first was moving some of the rolling stock on the fiddle yard, away from potential falling dust

As it was I was able to re-use one of the holes in the ceiling, so only had to drill one and it was vastly easier than the last time and there was virtually no dust!

Next was soldering the wires back to this point in the middle of the scenic (station) area, which was an oversight in the original design

Once completed, a quick test run with a DC locomotive, some small adjustments, the base was coated in PVA and secured back in position

I then tested all the other crossings and found another where the locomotive would stall

However a closer inspection confirmed it was just dirt and was easily removed

Two hours, and all done

Trains can now run all the way from the main crossing, crossing tunnel, and right into the station

The next adjustment is to replace four droppers at the entrance to the fiddle yard

They are not necessary, but I like to keep consistency of 30cm between track feeds

Yesterday :

Updated website

Locomotives removed the Millfield Models repaints, so now all it leaves are the Mercig Studios conversions

Class 37

11 complete 100%

37/0 four

37/4 seven

37/7 one

Class 47

13 out of 31 42% complete

47/0 one

47/4 sixteen

47/7 forteen

Today :

Completed the rewiring of one of the two baseboards for the fiddle yard

I had planned to just complete the replacing of the missing droppers today, but managed to complete all three parts that were required

At the start I noticed I would have to remove all the rolling stock, so it made sense to just complete all three parts

A quick test and trains can now run to all the completed sections

Next is to mirror that same rewiring on the second baseboard, and that completes the track work and main wiring

Edited by mjkerr
  • Like 1