Glasgow Queen Street N gauge

mjkerr

Hells bell's that's impressive

Thanks, this project is nearing it's end

Sadly only one completed Class 47/4 (47546) at the moment

The original four Class 47 (47114 47541 47614 47642) have been sent for Sound conversion and should be back by the end of next month

The next batch of Class 47/4 should arrive by the end of the year, and that should help balance out the lack of Class 47 for the Inverness rakes

A further batch after that, which will give some spare Class 47/7 and more Class 47/4

That just leaves :

Two HST (these are the two rakes at the back of the fiddle yard)

Two Class 26

Four Class 156

Two Class 101

One Class 150/2

Wow! That's an impressive collection of rolling stock!

You should have seen my first one!

Woodhurst, this was based on the East Coast Main Line and at one point had 60 DCC fitted models (and more were planned)

However the layout had flaws, so I swapped to this smaller layout instead in a different room, which managed to save one of the Fiddle Yards and recycled some of the other baseboards

Sadly all the rolling stock had to be disposed of, but this has had benefits of swapping to a smaller fleet with greater detail

• 2 months later...

I just found this thread linked from a 12 page thread on a 4mm QS but what intrigues me is how did loco hauled non push pull train locos run round, was there a pilot? was everything dragged up and down to Cowlairs?

• RMweb Gold

I just found this thread linked from a 12 page thread on a 4mm QS but what intrigues me is how did loco hauled non push pull train locos run round, was there a pilot? was everything dragged up and down to Cowlairs?

Most of the time a new loco dropped onto the rear of the stock either to take the ECS to Cowlairs or to form an outward working which, for many years until the early 80's, was assisted by the inbound loco up the Cowlairs incline. There have not been run round facilities at QS for years, certainly since the late 70's and if they ever existed I am ignorant of the fact.  

Your locos are a thing of if beauty but I see you're using insulfrog points on your track?  In my experience whilst body-wise china split chassis will handle insulfrogs but dcc ready Farish  locos -with reduced pick-ups can struggle. Good luck!!!  I have never understood choice of insulfrog points for any reason unless short oif space -eg setrack?

...Usual: Pics or it didn't happen LoL

Edited by RST

I hadn't actually noticed that the photos of the fiddle yard have all the surrounding content photoshopped out! Curiouser and curiouser...

Neither had I, just noticed since you pointed it out

• 2 months later...

No, the rakes were usually short enough for the next loco to attach to the rear / front 

Equally, if a loco failed and was hauled in by a second loco the train would arrive into Platforms 2 or 7

I hadn't actually noticed that the photos of the fiddle yard have all the surrounding content photoshopped out! Curiouser and curiouser...

Idea there was for viewers to concentrate on the layout, as presented,not the junk above and below the layout!

Any updates on the layout?

Last update was 11 September 2016, just awaiting final batch of models to be completed 

Next (final) batch of Class 47 locomotives should be completed by the end of March 2017 

Sadly it looks like I need to rewire the layout, as some rather annoying problems appeared when last tested 

I also have DCC point controller issues to resolve, so will tackle both at the same time 

I am busy with work from now until July, so the next update may be some time 

Then doing nothing for a few months 

• Like 1

This is a slow burn layout 

Patience is a virtue.

When I converted the layout to what it is now, in 2013, plan was to use the AW period of each year 

There was no hurry as Farish just announced a range of ScotRail items, but so far only the Class 47/7 has been released 

Sadly a change in employer took over just a few months later (2015) 

This also changed my original plans, from simple repaints to highly detailed projects 

Just waiting for the Farish DBSO...

Last update was 11 September 2016, just awaiting final batch of models to be completed 

Next (final) batch of Class 47 locomotives should be completed by the end of March 2017 

Sadly it looks like I need to rewire the layout, as some rather annoying problems appeared when last tested 

I also have DCC point controller issues to resolve, so will tackle both at the same time 

I am busy with work from now until July, so the next update may be some time 

Then doing nothing for a few months

Locos look great mate but would love to see the actual layout. Understand you are busy, but as Nick says above, we'd love to see the layout! It's my favourite period so I can't wait to see it.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Me too! I'm currently building Glasgow Queen St in EM gauge, period 1988. The layout is now 34ft long - 12ft of boards from buffer stops to tunnel mouth, then 12 ft of Cowlairs incline ( with cutaway tunnel so both crossovers can be modelled ) then 10 ft of fiddle yard. I'm just about getting to the track laying stage, but at the moment, this is confined to the traverser and Fiddle yard. Track laying from the top of the incline, down the tunnel, will be the first frontage track to go down.

So, I have a keen interest to see how this 2mm scale version is going to look. I'm building mine so that viewers will be looking across the station throat from Platform 1 over to 7.

Which way round are you planning yours to be viewed?

cheers

Andy

• Like 2

Can we see some photos?!

There are already photos of the layout, Fiddle Yard to Main Section, nothing has changed since they were taken 

The photo of the station area is on Facebook, but this has changed slightly since that photo 

https://www.facebook.com/151651891663344/photos/a.483637715131425.1073741832.151651891663344/483637721798091

Edited by mjkerr

Which way round are you planning yours to be viewed?

I am sat in the middle 

Fiddle Yard to my left 

Main crossover in front, with laptop 

Station to my right, Platform 1 nearest 

The Operations Depot will be built twice 

For videos a low level version will be used 

For exhibition purposes a full size version will be used 

The wall at Platform 7 will be the highest point