Terminal Locking Rail

Ron Heggs

I have noticed on photographs of the terminal rail arrangements on Manchester Central Station which closed in 1969, what appears to be a possible locking bar arrangement between the release road turnout and the terminal buffers

post-10633-0-35821500-1438119438.jpg

The rail and bar in question is adjacent to left running rail

This arrangement is common to all nine terminal platform roads

Any help would be much appreciated

Ron 

• RMweb Premium

It looks to be a facing point lock.  This stops the points being changed when a vehicle is moving over them.   The bar would be as long as the wheelbase of any vehicle that ran on the line.  The wheel flange pressed the bar down and locked the point so that until the vehicle was clear the lever could not be pulled.  These were normally provided for facing points at junctions.  I believe that the levers for the locks were painted blue.

Jamie

These turnouts were operated locally by hand, and were not track circuited - so a light signalled in the signal box could be a possibility, showing that a possible loco movement was underway that was not yet under the signalman's control

Those are "depression bars", they sit normally almost at rail height as in the photo, the strip in the fourfoot about 6 inches from the bar is a counterweight that holds the bar up. Any wheel running onto the bar depresses it via the wheel flanges (and raises the countersweight). There will be an electrical contact box linked to it which, as mentioned above will operate an indicator in the box to remind the signalman that he has something standing at the buffers. It may also prevent clearing of the main aspect into the platform so that the call on has to be used. These bars were common at platform ends where locos or vans may be left and rail conditions made track circuits unreliable.

Regards

Keith

PS Jamie, Its clear in the photo that the points don't have any facing point lock. And locking the points by something standing on that bar would mean that the points could not be used for the only movement they are needed for!

Those are "depression bars", they sit normally almost at rail height as in the photo, the strip in the fourfoot about 6 inches from the bar is a counterweight that holds the bar up. Any wheel running onto the bar depresses it via the wheel flanges (and raises the countersweight). There will be an electrical contact box linked to it which, as mentioned above will operate an indicator in the box to remind the signalman that he has something standing at the buffers. It may also prevent clearing of the main aspect into the platform so that the call on has to be used. These bars were common at platform ends where locos or vans may be left and rail conditions made track circuits unreliable.

Regards

Keith

PS Jamie, Its clear in the photo that the points don't have any facing point lock. And locking the points by something standing on that bar would mean that the points could not be used for the only movement they are needed for!

Thanks Keith. I suspected there would be a simple answer

At least I can model it knowing what its purpose was, and even make some possible use of it during operations

Cheers

Ron

Glasgow  Central  had  lots  of  these  things,  installed  when  the  station  was  resignalled  about  1900.  They  were  at  all  the  buffer  stops,  and  also  at  the  platform  ends.  The  Rulebook  contained  an  instruction  that  locomotives  following  a  train  out  of  the  station  must   stand  on  the  bar  until  the  signal  was  returned  to  danger  and  then  cleared  again.    They  predated  track  circuits and  were  used as  Grovenor  states where  TC's might  be  unreliable.  They  were  still  in  use  at  Glasgow  until  resignalling  in  the  1960's,  and  I  noticed  one  in  the  South  Bay  Platform  at  Perth  very  recently,  though  I  don't  know  whether  it's  still  functional

Allan  F

• RMweb Premium

ISTR depression bars were in use at Preston in platforms 3a/4a (south bays), also at Blackburn in P3 - west bay, until recent years. I can't find my photos at the moment.

Often used in locations where the railhead could be dirty and affect track circuit operation. (Bay platforms/terminal roads didn't have regular faster moving traffic to keep the railhead clean)

In the photo in the OP, the end of the depression bar is just visible under the buffer stop beam.

The more recent solution to replace the bar is a "zig-zag" pattern of weld along the railhead to offer some degree of abrasion to keep it clean to actuate track circuits. Certainly very noticeable/audible when a train runs in over it.

Cheers,

mick

Thanks Keith. I suspected there would be a simple answer

At least I can model it knowing what its purpose was, and even make some possible use of it during operations

Cheers

Ron

'make some possible use of it' - you don't mean, and given your attention to detail it wouldn't surprise me, you intend to use them for track circuiting?

I thought there was a drawing in one of my books but all I can find is this technical photo. It has a different style of contact box (with cover taken off and resting against the balance bar) than the ones I remember which were standard little rectangular contact boxes screwed to a sleeper with a short rod linkage to the bars.

Note its called a fouling bar in the pic. A name that causes confusion with mechanical fouling bars worked from a lever in the box, we called them depression bars in the 1960s. This illistration is from 1925.

post-3169-0-23680700-1438158037_thumb.jpg

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I thought there was a drawing in one of my books but all I can find is this technical photo. It has a different style of contact box (with cover taken off and resting against the balance bar) than the ones I remember which were standard little rectangular contact boxes screwed to a sleeper with a short rod linkage to the bars.

Note its called a fouling bar in the pic. A name that causes confusion with mechanical fouling bars worked from a lever in the box, we called them depression bars in the 1960s. This illistration is from 1925.

attachicon.gifdepression bar.jpg

Regards

Keith

The nomenclature thing can be a bit of a minefield alas.  A depression bar is exactly that but they can be used as fouling bars  (even the GWR used them in that role) although their most common use seems to have been for vehicle detection purposes in dead ends where poor rail conditions made track circuits unreliable and in that use they were, in some schemes) supplemented by 'Vehicle On Line' switches which could cover a longer length of track than a depression bar.  

They seem not to have been used as facing point locking bars but it is possible that they were used in that way in early (pre1914 or so) power signalling schemes as the reliability of early track circuits seemed to have been rather variable.

• 1 month later...

This type of "fouling bar" at platform ends, was replaced in later years by applying a zig-zag strip of electric weld to the rail surface which would not rust and thereby by give contact at any time. For the life of me I cannot remember what this material was but I suspect it would have been stainless steel.

Complete with rectangular contact box I referred to above.

Thanks

Keith

It's a Tyer and Co two way circuit controller. You will find them doing this job, up signals, next to points to control variable track circuit limits and under signalboxes.

• RMweb Gold

This type of "fouling bar" at platform ends, was replaced in later years by applying a zig-zag strip of electric weld to the rail surface which would not rust and thereby by give contact at any time. For the life of me I cannot remember what this material was but I suspect it would have been stainless steel.

I understand it to be stainless steel but I believe in some later installations something cheaper was use - but I'm not sure what it was although the way it 'squashed' in use made me wonder if it was the stuff used for track circuit bonding?

I have had to do this on a level crossing i look after. The original welding was installed by BR and was super hard stainless but this has 'rolled out' in a few places. The stuff i've had done was in a malleable stainless. It is slightly better but the traffic over said crossing is now frequent enough to keep the rails clean and we are looking to change the rails etc. 

I think this  wavy stainless steel strip fitted to the railhead is called an 'eutectic strip', can remember seeing them at Kings Cross in the 70's at the bufferstops end of the platforms - where the diesel locos stood and the track was black and covered in oil.

Depression/fouling bars were also provided in some track layouts on running lines where it was difficult for the signalman to judge clearance/ when the back of a train was clear of the fouling point, to prevent him allowing a conflicting move to occur.

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve)

I think this  wavy stainless steel strip fitted to the railhead is called an 'eutectic strip', can remember seeing them at Kings Cross in the 70's at the bufferstops end of the platforms - where the diesel locos stood and the track was black and covered in oil.

Depression/fouling bars were also provided in some track layouts on running lines where it was difficult for the signalman to judge clearance/ when the back of a train was clear of the fouling point, to prevent him allowing a conflicting move to occur.

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve)

I've been trying to remember what it was called all evening.

How about this for possibly the highest number of electric depression bars indicated in one box?..

post-4034-0-37391000-1441651418_thumb.jpg 

My understanding is that fouling bars are a generic term, the OPs picture is a clearance bar used to indicate to the signalman, that a loco is standing clear of the point. Fouling bars used to lock FPLs , I believe are known as facing point locking bars. , certainly in signal engineering docs I've read

Archived