RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Thought it was too good to be true..........

This am it started with, "we cannot bring you the start up at present - please sign out and we hope to have it available when you come back"

Needless to say it hasn't been, either in Home or Office profiles, and it sits in the middle of the screen not allowing me to use any 'Office' functions, and even if I could I couldn't send them anywhere.  My Chromebook, which I'm writing this on, doesn't have all my files on it (yet!) to enable me to bypass it.  A real PITA!!! :banghead:

I got this a couple of times when I first upgraded the laptop.  Signing out and back in fixed it.  Apparently MS know of the problem and are working on a fix, but it's now over a week since I've had the problem.  This item on the W10 forum describes the issue (17 pages and counting!):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/critical-error-start-menu-and-cortana-arent/746d57f4-95b0-4c64-be92-2614e8c9584a?page=1&tm=1439153214163

• RMweb Gold

Finally got one of our PC's to install windows 10. Its a msall Asus machine that is use for live webcams and general browsing in the living room, mainly used by my other half. Took all morning rto install but the PC now appears to run much quicker including booting up and shut down. than it did with WIndows 7.

Need to spend more time on it to see how I like itbefore installing on other machines when it lets me do so.

My upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on my laptop seemed to go very smoothly and took around 90 minutes. All looked OK but I found that all the entries in my Calendar app have disappeared. 

Perhaps Microsoft has cancelled all my future appointments so I have time to attend to the rest of the Win 10 glitches to come.......

Ian

Critical error still showing, and I see on the MS Forum that this problem has been raising its ugly head since July 2nd!  You might think that they could have resolved it by now!

It is effectively preventing me from doing any work, and I'm tearing my hair out!

As an avid XP Pro user, I've taken a back seat to Win10 so far. However, with the "free" offer upgrade, I am wondering about future-proofing (if I ever have to). In the course of a rebuild of my PC during the last week - to XP Pro again, through choice - I've had occasion to casually lookat some software prices on various sites. A few minutes ago I came across Win10 at £156, no idea where, or what version, but it is a ball park figure. I also say various Win7/8/8.1 software on sale from £30+ up to well into the hundreds.

So, the questions are:-:

Is the Win10 freebie of a particular level?

Do you pay to get a higher spec?

Do you have to have a particular level of Win7/8?

(I don't know the levels of 7/8, so will talk in XP terms)

If you have say Win 8 Home, can you get the Win 10 Pro version or do you stick at your level?

What levels of Win 10 are available, what are the main differences?

Do older versions of Office work with Win 10?

(I'm running Office 2010 Pro Plus on XP, I also obtained (legally) a copy of of Office 365 via work for £8, seen this advertised at over £400!) 

Sorry about the number of questions, but just thinking ahead.

BTW I am NOT interested in the "politics" of upgrading now or later, or changing to another operating system such as Linux etc.

Stewart

As an avid XP Pro user, I've taken a back seat to Win10 so far. However, with the "free" offer upgrade, I am wondering about future-proofing (if I ever have to). In the course of a rebuild of my PC during the last week - to XP Pro again, through choice - I've had occasion to casually lookat some software prices on various sites. A few minutes ago I came across Win10 at £156, no idea where, or what version, but it is a ball park figure. I also say various Win7/8/8.1 software on sale from £30+ up to well into the hundreds.

Stewart

HI Stewart,

Following my disasters with W 10 (detailed above) I wouldn't even think about downloading it until the 'Start Menu' problems are fixed.  I would cast an eye over the MS Forums and see when / if! it gets resolved.  As it is I cannot access any of my pictures or written text, half way through a book, and I will face having to dust down my No. 2 computer (W 7) and download the back up from my separate hard-drive - another PITA!

• RMweb Gold

So, the questions are:-:

Is the Win10 freebie of a particular level?

Do you pay to get a higher spec?

Do you have to have a particular level of Win7/8?

(I don't know the levels of 7/8, so will talk in XP terms)

If you have say Win 8 Home, can you get the Win 10 Pro version or do you stick at your level?

What levels of Win 10 are available, what are the main differences?

Do older versions of Office work with Win 10?

(I'm running Office 2010 Pro Plus on XP, I also obtained (legally) a copy of of Office 365 via work for £8, seen this advertised at over £400!) 

Sorry about the number of questions, but just thinking ahead.

BTW I am NOT interested in the "politics" of upgrading now or later, or changing to another operating system such as Linux etc.

Stewart

It's only a free upgrade if you have a qualifying release - ie Windows 7 or 8.1.  Otherwise a license for the Windows 10 Home version costs £99.99.  If you're on Windows 7 Home Premium then the free upgrade is to Windows 10 Home.  To qualify for Windows 10 Pro you need to be on W7 or 8.1 Pro.

• RMweb Premium

I also obtained (legally) a copy of of Office 365 via work for £8, seen this advertised at over £400!) 

Stewart

SBE Office 365 is about £110. What version have you got that costs £400?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Anybody else had problems backing up Win 7 before installing Win 10?

I've tried Chkdsk/f the drive, it sailed through.

I've done registry repair using Norton Utilities but it still won't back up, either it says a certain expected file is missing(!?!) or I get this message:

post-6208-0-47461700-1439222251.jpg

Any idea what it means?

Cheers

Keith

I've done registry repair using Norton Utilities but it still won't back up, either it says a certain expected file is missing(!?!) or I get this message:

attachicon.gifback up error.JPG

Any idea what it means?

Cheers

Keith

Have a look here :-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-backup-failed-while-trying-to-read-from/c26a8f6d-4c5e-49a4-9529-a7f6826b33c8?auth=1

Suggestion is that it is your Anti-Virus software either Security Essentials or other.

Brian G.

• RMweb Premium

Have a look here :-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-backup-failed-while-trying-to-read-from/c26a8f6d-4c5e-49a4-9529-a7f6826b33c8?auth=1

Suggestion is that it is your Anti-Virus software either Security Essentials or other.

Brian G.

Cheers.

That's interesting. I'm using Norton, maybe the same problem?

Keith

attachicon.gifback up error.JPG

Any idea what it means?

Cheers

Keith

A possible work around from Microsoft, issue 2

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/973455

Brian G.

I download Win 10.....the normal problems with major downloads ensued. It wiped out my routers Wifi (virgin) and has problems with the Ethernet divers which keeps cutting off the internet:(

It has seriously slowed my computer but I'm still trying to figure out what this app thing is all about and find it easier to still view in IE, but I find MS is normally good after the patches follow.

B

Keith

TBH haven't got a clue - I downloaded it at work when offered it as a company perk, and I'm off for 3 weeks now so can't check. I just happenned to see it on a dealer site yesterday (don't know where now) for over £400; he had some very decent prices on other things I was after so I just thought it was a genuine price.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

A possible work around from Microsoft, issue 2

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/973455

Brian G.

I'll bear that in mind - thanks.

Bit late for the install I am currently doing (not critical!) so I just backed up manually all wanted documents, data etc.

Win 10 currently "upgrading" Win 7. (70 mins so far and counting)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Keith

Office 365 is a subscription product, so £110 will be the annual subscription cost. Around £350 will buy you the permanent version and is a one-off cost.

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

Win 10 now up and running on my first 'pooter.

Doesn't look too different to Win 7 apart from the task bar.

It booted up with my desktop wallpaper and icons exactly as they were.

All seems fine so far.

All my bookmarks still there and Firefox!

(I'm posting this on it!)

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Spoke too soon.

I have lost Norton Security.

Shows as "Not compatible with this version of Windows - Download Update"

Did that

It installed, said it was removing old version, restarted - zilch.

No signs of it!

I'll have to e-mail Symantec!

BTW does anybody know if the codec for Windows Media Player now includes Flac?

After it started it asked if I wanted to used Media Player as default and all the little fishes changed to musical notes! The files play perfectly however.

Keith

My upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on my laptop seemed to go very smoothly and took around 90 minutes. All looked OK but I found that all the entries in my Calendar app have disappeared. 

Perhaps Microsoft has cancelled all my future appointments so I have time to attend to the rest of the Win 10 glitches to come.......

Ian

An update : Following problems with some of my other software I decided to go back to Windows 8.1. Microsoft offer this option for the first month after you upgrade to Win 10. My calendar is back again and my other software works too....

I will wait for the inevitable WIndows 10.1..........

wrt disappearing data - when I upgraded my desktop pc to w10, from w7, I signed in with the microsoft account email name and password. This was different than how I signed in to w7. some programs did not appear to be as I left them, but I found all the configuration/data files were where they should be, under the w7 user name. It took me while to realise that. Simple enough to copy it over to the 'new' user name.

edit to add - it's working so well, I will need to screw it up by upgrading to 64 bit, and trying to install software again, if I can find the registration codes for the stuff I bought back in cpm days - well it seems that long ago...

Edited by raymw

There was a pre Win 10 launch update to Norton Internet Security which made it Win 10 compatible. On one pc without the NIS update Win 10 killed it - restored by a fresh download from Symantec, had to pick an older version as the existing and the website then offered the latest version for downloading.

Only problem notices so far is MSMoney squealed for IE6, a web search found a registry patch which solved the issue.

Win10 has however not resolved the lost internet connection problems I have when using trying to search using google.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

wrt disappearing data - when I upgraded my desktop pc to w10, from w7, I signed in with the microsoft account email name and password.

Mine just put up the two accounts and passwords complete with little the piccys as were on Win 7.

I'll see how the other two upgrade from 7 to 10 (one laptop, one desktop) which don't have a MS account and SWMBOs laptop with Win 8.1 which does have an account.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

TBH haven't got a clue - I downloaded it at work when offered it as a company perk, and I'm off for 3 weeks now so can't check. I just happenned to see it on a dealer site yesterday (don't know where now) for over £400; he had some very decent prices on other things I was after so I just thought it was a genuine price.

Stewart

If you use a PC at work running MS Office, you can (legally) get a copy for installation on your home set up for around £8 one off (I thought I paid about £10). It needs a bit of co-operation from your IT department, but my recollection is that once you have the code it is not difficult to do. It seems to stay on if you leave the employment. I suppose the idea is that once your employer has paid the licence fee, you are enabled to do office work on your home equipment for the small additional fee.