The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith,

Here's the download site http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?OCID=WIP_r_Win10_Body_AddPC

afaik, this is the only one.

Follow the link to the system requirements page - not all windows are created equal. Maybe you have an 'unsupported version'.

I don't think it's anything to do with the Windows 7 version at all, just something in my Win7 set-ups it doesn't like.

I have just booted up the AMD 64 into Windows XP and it sailed through the download, although the menu was a bit different to when trying it in Win 7! :scratchhead:

I now have the Win 10 iso image in my XP downloads folder.

Keith

Hi Roundhouse,

I guess you checked recently for HP drivers. I found that virtually all the drivers for my HP laptop were updated on 27th July, including a bios update, but it was a fairly recent m/c.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roundhouse,

I guess you checked recently for HP drivers. I found that virtually all the drivers for my HP laptop were updated on 27th July, including a bios update, but it was a fairly recent m/c.

Yes and none of them for my computers have been yet. Even tried the original manufacturers with no joy so far.. one PC they may not do so at all but one is not yet 2 years old and runs 8.1 - this is the one I really want ot put 10 on.

• RMweb Premium

All three of my PCs that I have registered for he upgrade can't because the graphics card isn't supported. Two of them are HP and HP havent released the drivers yet.

What graphics cards are these, they must be something unusual?

Nvidia and AMD/Radeon are usually on the ball with updates.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

What graphics cards are these, they must be something unusual?

Nvidia and AMD/Radeon are usually on the ball with updates.

Keith

I can't recall off hand but one is an integrated one in a tablet / laptop. Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Against my better judgement my curiosity got the better of me.

I applied any updates waiting for Windows 7 in Windows Update, ran CCleaner to delete temporary files and other rubbish, backed everything up onto an external hard drive, downloaded from the Microsoft Windows 10 download link and left it running overnight. This morning I saw a welcome back message and a log in screen. After logging in I turned off all the settings that sent all my details to Microsoft (turning off Cortana or Cortina assistant in the process), and logged in. Easiest upgrade I've ever done (my first Windows upgrade was from DOS to Win 3.1).

I'll be checking it out this week to see how I get on. So far it's no slower than my other version of Windows, and truth be told, apart from the UI change and addition of a couple of new apps E.g Edge browser, feels very samey. One bonus is that my Nikon Camera raw files now preview in Explorer, Adobe PSD files still don't.

If it all goes Pete Tong I'll downgrade again, but I'm not expecting it to as there have been no outcries so far, and millions of people will have downloaded by now. The one device that I definitely won't be among the first to upgrade will be my iPhone. Now *thats* taking a risk!

My Dell laptop has a 7i processor, 6GB ram, Nvidia graphics card and previously ran windows 7sp1 if anyone's interested.

Edited by JCL

• RMweb Premium

I can't recall off hand but one is an integrated one in a tablet / laptop.

Even the integrated ones in laptops are usually by a known graphic chipset maker using the same technology as their mainstream ones.

I'm fortunate, my laptop has a separate nVidia graphics card. (all my three computers have separate cards)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I succumbed - I had reserved it and it duly downloaded it whilst I wasn't looking - which explains why my internet was running slow a couple of days ago..

The first attempt to install was met by a screen eternally juggling with balls and nothing much else..

So I quit and had another go - with the same result...

So on the basis of third time lucky - apparently luck is built into all modern programmes -

About 8 hours later just before retiring I tried again -

Bingo, it decided to play ball with more than itself and told me to go to bed and all would be well.

Well? Indeed it was the next morning was Xmas day - a brand new operating system -

It asked me a few questions and I was in...

Downside - where oh where is Microsoft Hearts? They get you addicted then drop you cold turkey!

Now today is day two of the saga..

So I logged in - zilch!

So I now have to log in with my Microsoft Hotmail account - extremely complicated and impossible to remember password and all.

It has started to show what many might assume to be its sinister side...

No longer is it "My Personal Computer" now is it to become "Slave to the New Roman Empire Computer"?

Ah! Well I guess the illusion of freedom  was bound to be shattered sooner or later  :)

So no problems really just a nagging suspicion we are being taken for the inevitable "Ride"..

... no longer is computing fully in our control..

Edited by Bill

I succumbed - I had reserved it and it duly downloaded it whilst I wasn't looking - which explains why my internet was running slow a couple of days ago..

The first attempt to install was met by a screen eternally juggling with balls and nothing much else..

So I quit and had another go - with the same result...

So on the basis of third time lucky - apparently luck is built into all modern programmes -

About 8 hours later just before retiring I tried again -

Bingo, it decided to play ball with more than itself and told me to go to bed and all would be well.

Well? Indeed it was the next morning was Xmas day - a brand new operating system -

It asked me a few questions and I was in...

Downside - where oh where is Microsoft Hearts? They get you addicted then drop you cold turkey!

Now today is day two of the saga..

So I logged in - zilch!

So I now have to log in with my Microsoft Hotmail account - extremely complicated and impossible to remember password and all.

It has started to show what many might assume to be its sinister side...

No longer is it "My Personal Computer" now is it to become "Slave to the New Roman Empire Computer"?

Ah! Well I guess the illusion of freedom  was bound to be shattered sooner or later  :)

So no problems really just a nagging suspicion we are being taken for the inevitable "Ride"..

If you don't want to use your Microsoft account, i.e. your Hotmail log in then go into the settings menu and poke around. There'll you'll find the option to log on as a local user, i.e. it does not use your Microsoft account password. It also gives you the option of using a 4 digit PIN instead, I believe.

I upgraded my 7" windows 8.1 tablet this morning. It had 2 hiccups. The first seemed to revolve around driver installation, the screen became unreadable, but unplugging the power which made the screen go blank, and then pressing the start button again resolved that, to my relief.

The second glitch was that it set itself up as a desktop PC so wouldn't react to the touch screen. Fortunately I had a USB keyboard, and Mouse and I eventually found the setting that locked it to being a desktop PC. Deselected that, and the touch screen started working immediately.

Apart from the above, I like it, much better than 8.1. I like they way that Microsoft have integrated the start menu with the Apps, much better than the clunky way they did it on 8.1. It has a clean, modern look. Just have to decide if I let my work laptop and home desktop go the same way, they're both on the excellent Win 7 Pro, and one has XP Mode (excellent for running Lotus SmartSuite and Office XP), or if I hang on a bit. The work laptop is still in the queue for downloading the upgrade, but I have already downloaded and created ISO disks for Win 10 Pro in the 64 Bit edition, and also for Home in the 32 Bit edition.

I do find it ironic that folks criticise Microsoft for being money grabbing when the most lucrative IT company today by far is Apple, with their very expensive products.

• Like 1

By this time, upgrading should be seamless and trouble free.  Assuming we are all of average intelligence, we still are not all super techs whose main interest is to conquer the unconquerable.  What about the LOL who just wants to EM and send photos to the grandkids, how does she manage?  She probably doesn't care but it should be as easy for the  non technical minded as it is for the professional.  This goes for mobile phones, smart phones, in fact any modern gadgetry.  Just bought a new Smart TV; after a few exhausting hours finally got it to work.  Never did get the clock on the VCR to stop flashing though after all these years!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

Why are you under the illusion that you ever had control?

We are just pawns in a bigger game being played by all encompassing super-machines. :jester:

Me? Paranoid? :no:

Keith

What 'should be', and what 'is', is entirely different. With all the variations in PC components, manufacturers, etc., it's a wonder that any of it works. If you want simple, then standards need to be fixed and enforced, and that leads to stagnation. (think post-office 3000 relay, qwerty keyboard, and so on. If you have a recent pc, from a branded manufacturer, then it will most likely upgrade without any problems, when the upgrades are available. If you keep it up to date, then that will work better. If you have something three or four years old, built by some kid in a back street, then maybe it becomes a bit problematical. It's the way it is. Accept it or not. Nothing wrong with sticking with XP, W7, W2000, whatever, but eventually you'll buy a new printer or something, and the manufacturer has no win2000 drivers, so you may not be able to use the printer to it's best advantage. 

The only way you can be in control is if you isolate yourself from the rest of humanity, 40 days in the wilderness and all that.

As I said, forty days in the wilderness. :scratchhead: only you're installing Linux, and the rest of your humanity becomes other linux users.  btw all your links are broken

Edited by raymw

• RMweb Gold

Interesting about the logging in via a Microsoft account. I was ok using my normal ID and password. I can't remember now whether I set up my "data sharing" settings before or after my login. During the upgrade, I was displayed some forms that asked me to choose some settings. Any setting that involved sending data back to Microsoft or its "trusted partners" was turned off. This is apparently the easiest way to do it as otherwise you could be a while going through different option screens (as per Raymw's link above). Note that this will also turn off that personal assistant - you pays your money and takes your choice.

One thing, if you like ad-blocking software, it won't work on Microsoft's new browser as there is currently no way of installing add-ins to add this sort of functionality.

Still happy with Win 10 so far. Good luck to anyone that decides to upgrade, I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

cheers

Jason

• RMweb Gold

So let me get this right.  If you have Win10 then you have to have M$ updates.  So if like me you live in west Wales with 3Mb line-speed......... they just hit you with whatever bloated update they think fit? 

• RMweb Gold

Huge update 300MB update today!

It's called "service release 1". But MS are now describing Windows updates as "cumulative". For this one, before downloading, it checks which fixes you have installed and only downloads what isn't.  My main PC did the update in only a couple of minutes so I suspect a lot of it was already installed. 5 minutes and all 3 of my PCs were done and rebooted.

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So let me get this right.  If you have Win10 then you have to have M$ updates.  So if like me you live in west Wales with 3Mb line-speed......... they just hit you with whatever bloated update they think fit? 

The updates resolve issues, they do NOT release bloated updates for fun, they release updates which patch vulnerabilities to try and prevent malicious attacks. I have exactly the same problem with line speed on my broad band but I'd sooner suffer with sluggish Internet for a while than loose my bank details.

• Like 1

My w7 desktop pc runs win7, 32bit. I wanted to upgrade to 64bit, but unsurprisingly that is a no, unless you start afresh. So, I thought I'd test out a clean install of w10 64bit on a spare ssd. It took less than 40minutes - including my poking around in various settings wrt sharing info. 

So,  I've replaced the w7 ssd, and I'll see if I can install w10 32bit, keeping the W7 programs. The test said that a few old m$ programs would need reinstalling, and vlc media player, so hopefully no unexpected problems. I'll look into getting it to 64bit later on - smaller steps may be best, and possibly dual boot in the meantime.

fwiw, I decided to update the desktop bios, Took a while for me to realise that it had stalled in booting, as it was trying to boot over the network - and it did, in the end. Tons of settings in the newer bios, many not findable until you realise you have to scroll the pages...  duh.

• RMweb Gold

Not necessarily, you can defer non-security updates for several months. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10 As far as I'm aware, you aren't forced to upgrade, and MS support for 7 and 8 will continue for a good few years yet.