People had problems when XP came out

People had problems when Vista came out

People had problems when 7 came out....

spot a trend anyone?

People had problems when the Mac came out

What point are you trying to make?

I don't like this at all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36168857

I have found Bing to be inferior in practically every thing it does to the alternatives available.

Nothing like forcing people to do something they don't want to get their backs up!

Keith

Don't use Cortana then. Its no different to various Google owned sites which are suddenly saying they will not display the page correctly (or similar) unless you use Google Chrome. Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

Don't use Cortana then. Its no different to various Google owned sites which are suddenly saying they will not display the page correctly (or similar) unless you use Google Chrome.

I don't use Cortana anyway.

There is a difference between a "warning" and forcing use of something.

It's like the difference between a printer manufacturer "warning" of incorrect operation if you don't use their ink or forcing the printer to stop working if you don't use their ink.

I wonder what the EU would say about the latest developments in computing from America?

They were very vociferous about Windows bundling IE a while back.

Keith

Nothing like forcing people to do something they don't want to get their backs up!

I'd never thought that Microsoft would EVER do something like that

Internet Explorer

Windows 10

Microsoft toilet paper

Nope, no problems with the EU either. Anti-trust

Bleh.

• RMweb Gold

I've been using Windows since you booted it from a DOS command line, and I'm lucky enough to have missed the duff versions such as Windows ME and Vista by fortuitously buy computers with XP and 7 - both a dream to use. Yes there were some issues up front, but not half as many as I've had with Windows 10. I really want to like it, partly because there's no other choice if I want to stay with Microsoft, but almost daily I come up against some poor piece of coding. Examples in the first few months were:

• the computer waking up with a black screen if I closed the lid by accident.
  • not being able to put the computer into sleep mode without it crashing,
  • looking at the app store and finding that I now log in with my Hotmail account. To revert back, I have to choose revert in the settings, to do that I have to set a pin, to do this I have to verify the account I want to change from, so do this I have to somehow get the settings form to load seeing as it's just given up the ghost...
  • Windows updating when I'm in the middle of something.
  • typing into the search windows field and nothing being shown in the search results.
  • Windows search not giving me my files, even with indexing switched on - I swear this has been getting worse and worse since Win XP.
  • the picture viewer not being able to find the picture I've just clicked on.
  • DPC Watchdog Violation error - now that took a lot of tracking down, especially when this was apparently an issue a long time before Windows 10 was released but it wasn't fixed or made easier to diagnose.
  • getting not very useful error messages like "Something went wrong" - as a programmer I'd have been shot for that.

On the upside, it's no slower than Windows 7 on my pc, it has the start button, I like the tiles - though I don't use the live tiles, it has a 3D model viewer, the action centre is useful, and it runs all the software I ran before.

I realise other operating systems are available, but personally I don't like the way Apple goes about things, and I'm afraid, after using Linux many years ago, I've realised that my tinkering days are over - and there's the small fact that over the years I've accumulated a lot of software for specific tasks that would be difficult to replace.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just venting, I will eventually get used to this and and the issues will probably be fixed at some point, but at the moment, blow me down. :swoon:

Slightly off topic, the opposite to "Yes" is not "Remind me later", I'm talking to you Apple.

• RMweb Premium

I still use Windows 8, I'm guessing some will have plenty of arguments why I shouldn't but at with older PC's I've owned and company issue lap tops and desk tops I've had running other iterations of Windows I've found it works, does what I need it to do and I find it easy to use. When I replace my current lap top, if I replace it then I'll almost certainly go for another Windows based PC unless I make the switch to a Surface tablet. I think it is easy to knock MS but to me they seem no worse than the alternatives (OK, that's not much of a recommendation) whilst still being a lot cheaper than an Apple power book. I must admit I do like their Surface product, our office is currently considering a refresh of our lap tops and our IS guy has been circulating a Surface Pro and a Surface book to get opinions on whether that would be the preferred way to go and so far most people seem confident that the Surface Pro does everything they need to from a mobile computer. The Surface book is great but it is pricey (although so is the Surface Pro).

• RMweb Premium

I've also been using Windows since you booted it from a DOS command line (DOS 5.0, Dos 6.0, DOS 6.2)

Win 3.1, Win 95 (rubbish), Win 98 (good), Win XP (better), Win 7 (same as Win XP), Win 10 (same as Win 7 but faster)

• the computer waking up with a black screen if I closed the lid by accident.
  • not being able to put the computer into sleep mode without it crashing,
  • looking at the app store and finding that I now log in with my Hotmail account. To revert back, I have to choose revert in the settings, to do that I have to set a pin, to do this I have to verify the account I want to change from, so do this I have to somehow get the settings form to load seeing as it's just given up the ghost...
  • Windows updating when I'm in the middle of something.
  • typing into the search windows field and nothing being shown in the search results.
  • Windows search not giving me my files, even with indexing switched on - I swear this has been getting worse and worse since Win XP.
  • the picture viewer not being able to find the picture I've just clicked on.
  • DPC Watchdog Violation error - now that took a lot of tracking down, especially when this was apparently an issue a long time before Windows 10 was released but it wasn't fixed or made easier to diagnose.
  • getting not very useful error messages like "Something went wrong" - as a programmer I'd have been shot for that.

My observations:

1) the computer waking up with a black screen if I closed the lid by accident.

2) not being able to put the computer into sleep mode without it crashing,

Done both of those without a problem

3)looking at the app store and finding that I now log in with my Hotmail account. To revert back, I have to choose revert in the settings, to do that I have to set a pin, to do this I have to verify the account I want to change from, so do this I have to somehow get the settings form to load seeing as it's just

Don't use the app store

4) Windows updating when I'm in the middle of something.

PITA please change it MS

5) typing into the search windows field and nothing being shown in the search results.

6) Windows search not giving me my files, even with indexing switched on - I swear this has been getting worse and worse since Win XP.

Don't like the search facility as much as Win 7 although it does produce some results

7) the picture viewer not being able to find the picture I've just clicked on.

Never use Windows picture viewer, I have other alternatives

8 ) DPC Watchdog Violation error - now that took a lot of tracking down, especially when this was apparently an issue a long time before Windows 10 was released but it wasn't fixed or made easier to diagnose.

Never seen or heard of that.

9) getting not very useful error messages like "Something went wrong" - as a programmer I'd have been shot for that.

And "xxxxx stopped working" with nothing apart from a load of techno goobledegook to say why!

Keith

EDIT re item 1)

Seems to be different to when I first tried it but setting to "do nothing" the screen blanks and the computer seems to sleep/hibernate?

with Sleep or Hibernate when opening you get a blank screen.

Strange!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I'm slowly getting used to it, can't say I've had any serious issues since upgrading - a lot of the niggles seem to involve changing a setting but actually finding where to do this can take some time. i've changed settings so my preferences etc are like it was on Win7, but still come across another one that needs doing now and again.

My laptop has AMD Turion M620 processor, 4GB RAM - so not very fast compared to more recent ones - and the fan usually lets me know when things are getting too much! But I would say things are possibly a bit quicker than Win7 and certainly more even and stable. I had a few issues on Win7 with things like WinUpdate etc where I'd be at 100% CPU usage and I'd have to either shut down before it overheated or have to use Task Manager to find the errant processes.

Had a bit of bother with my printer (HP all-in-one) at first - although the software seemed to crossover to Win10, certain printing processes crashed or stopped working - but that was cured be de-installing then fresh installing the software, now all seems ok even over wireless connection.

For quickness in starting up, I have it set up so that closing the lid puts it into hibernation - i.e. when I open the lid, screen is blank, I press the power button and enter my password and it resumes from where it was. I think with sleep, you have the blank screen but it comes back on by pressing a key and then you log in.

I just do general browsing, photos etc so it suits me fine so far - just have to get used to certain things being in a different place

I did have a lot of trouble upgrading, it would never go through - eventually i tried doing a clean install of Win10, it went through no bother and as an aside, it got rid of a lot of the bloatware my laptop came with - yes there are a lot of things in Win10 that you might not need, but no worse than all the crap a computer usually comes with' and you can usually delete/disable most of these. Also a lot of programs you might need load on start-up, but these can be set to load only when you need them.

As some have said, you shouldn't need to do all this in the first place. But this seems to be part and parcel of any consumer device these days - i've had to do the exact same thing with an android tablet and phone and I presume apple devices are no different

Incidentally, one program i do miss is Microsoft Picture It! 8 or 9 from XP days - it was a fairly powerful photo editor that I found really easy to use. I've yet to find another one that has the same features available without being too complicated, but maybe that's just me!

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

I've also been using Windows since you booted it from a DOS command line (DOS 5.0, Dos 6.0, DOS 6.2)

Win 3.1, Win 95 (rubbish), Win 98 (good), Win XP (better), Win 7 (same as Win XP), Win 10 (same as Win 7 but faster)

--

I remember when the spinning wireframe globe was pretty amazing.

----

3)looking at the app store and finding that I now log in with my Hotmail account. To revert back, I have to choose revert in the settings, to do that I have to set a pin, to do this I have to verify the account I want to change from, so do this I have to somehow get the settings form to load seeing as it's just

Don't use the app store

---

Yeah, I did it just once, and didn't see a need to go back there. Honest guv. Still haven't managed to get it back. Doesn't really matter I suppose.

• RMweb Gold

You lot are beginners - I started on DOS 2 and had a week with Windows 1 - my girlfriend worked for Apricot and borrowed a demo PC, no mouse as they were expensive so I learnt to use the keyboard shortcuts and the're still useful today, approx 20 years later. I also used CP/M and VMS and Interactive Unix

I've got 1 desktop and 5 laptops upgraded to and running Windows 10 all without issue - clear out the dross before upgrading, all those programs you installed and never used, all those toolbars, make sure your antivirus is running the latest version, all your software is up to date, update drivers etc.

I use Linux, Centos, 5,6 and. 7 for work

I don't do the battle between Windows and Linux stuff - chose what you need and use it and if it doesn't work then google/ask around.

• Like 1

First time that I have read this thread.  

Coincidently this weekend I completed the upgrade to Windows 10 of our old 'Vista' machine - an all in one Vaio from 2006/7.

A fortnight ago the machine was upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.  It went OK at the time but I realised that I had stopped receiving updates.  A Google search suggested a couple of fixes which cured the problem and this weekend Microsoft offered the upgrade to Windows 10.  

The upgrade to Windows 10 went like a dream (well almost).  One of the reasons for keeping the machine is that the screen image is far better than our newer machines - may be the quality of the screen but also because of onboard Nvidia graphics.  Widows 10 replaced the Nvidia drivers with 'a basic MS video driver'.  Interestingly / luckily the original Nvidia folder was still on the hard drive and running the Nvidia (Vista) set up programme loaded the original drivers into Windows 10.

Throughout the upgrade process there are two 'must dos'.  The existing Windows software must have the latest updates actually installed.  Third party antivirus software had to be removed - I am thinking McAfee.  As an aside I have fallen out with McAfee and have gone back to Windows Defender on our machines - we shall see.

Regards

Ray

I moved to win 10 and after 4 days I went back to win 7.

Correl draw didn't work properly.

Although I could get edge to start up with Google I could no change the home page to anything other than that awful start page.

So back to 7 it went.

Edited by meil

• RMweb Premium

First time that I have read this thread.  

Coincidently this weekend I completed the upgrade to Windows 10 of our old 'Vista' machine - an all in one Vaio from 2006/7.

A fortnight ago the machine was upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.  It went OK at the time but I realised that I had stopped receiving updates.  A Google search suggested a couple of fixes which cured the problem and this weekend Microsoft offered the upgrade to Windows 10.  

The upgrade to Windows 10 went like a dream (well almost).  One of the reasons for keeping the machine is that the screen image is far better than our newer machines - may be the quality of the screen but also because of onboard Nvidia graphics.  Widows 10 replaced the Nvidia drivers with 'a basic MS video driver'.  Interestingly / luckily the original Nvidia folder was still on the hard drive and running the Nvidia (Vista) set up programme loaded the original drivers into Windows 10.

Throughout the upgrade process there are two 'must dos'.  The existing Windows software must have the latest updates actually installed.  Third party antivirus software had to be removed - I am thinking McAfee.  As an aside I have fallen out with McAfee and have gone back to Windows Defender on our machines - we shall see.

Regards

Ray

Correl draw didn't work properly.

Although I could get edge to start up with Google I could no change the home page to anything other than that awful start page.

So back to 7 it went.

Ray: nVidia cards with Nvidia drivers, mine are still there! (dated 08/07/15) Win 10 didn't remove them

Anti-virus was also still there.

Re CorelDraw

Mine works fine with Win 10, What was the problem?

Keith

Hi Keith

Windows 10 did not remove the drivers it simply could not find them and replaced them with MS Basic Drivers.

The folder with the Nvidia drivers came with the machine in 2007 and the set up programme for them is for Vista.  Luckily I would say the original VIsta set up programme loaded the drivers into Windows 10.

Ray: nVidia cards with Nvidia drivers, mine are still there! (dated 08/07/15) Win 10 didn't remove them

Keith

As to Antivirus Programmes - Windows 7 will not upgrade Vista if there is an active Antivirus Programme running.  I didn't take the risk with Windows 10.  Of course all the files are still there - just needs to be reinstalled.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith

Windows 10 did not remove the drivers it simply could not find them and replaced them with MS Basic Drivers.

Regards

Ray

Mine install didn't replace them, the nVidia ones are still the installed drivers. They are reported by Windows (in device manager) as version 10.18.13.5382, they were installed on 12/09/2015 (which I assume have been updated to suit the install)

I updated straight from Win 7 to Win 10.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

So back to 7 it went.

IE is still there, so if you don't like Edge (I certainly don't use it) then you can just make IE the default and it'll work just like on Windows 7.

• RMweb Premium

Re CorelDraw

Mine works fine with Win 10, What was the problem?

Keith

the menu bar was blank

Which version of CorelDraw?

My CD 6 didn't work too well with recent versions of Windows, but it was ancient.

I updated whilst on Win 7 to 2014 version and it works fine on Win10.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

in edge, click the 3 dots in top RH corner - click 'settings' at bottom of menu - select 'open with a specific page or pages', choose 'custom' in next drop-down box, enter desired web address in box and click '+'.

In the next bit down you can also assign what happens when you open a new tab

• RMweb Gold

As much as Apple were recently with their bricking of devices.

I have been offline for a while fixing my Asus PC with the errant update. All done now, thankfully It was a minor problem for me. After the update was installed, not noticed at the time, on boot up, the PC reported a CPU fan error, press F1 to continue and it cleared each time. I have been busy so was just another task to do later. When this report came to me I thought it was now important to do. Now, without the update the fan fault has been cleared. I will be more diligent next time. 

One of our PCs (WIndows 7 upgraded to 10) has been displaying error "scripted diagnostics native host has stopped working"  This started about a fortnight ago and appeared on a random basis.  Google  suggests a  corrupt file - however running SFC/scannow did not find any errors.  The next move was to remove the most recent MS upgrade  (in my case KB3147458).  This sorted the problem.  Interestingly the update has now been reinstalled  (automatically) - and we are still free of error messages.

Regards

Ray