RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

I have read that if you have installed any unsigned drivers they get jettisoned and you have go through the rigmarole of re-installing them.

Keith

One of the new features is an improved notifications box (or at least that's what I read MS said it was - do not remember seeing it before so it seems new to me) sited to the right of the clock - that came up with a message saying Classic Shell  had been removed because it was not compatible so it might list any drivers it removes. Of course its possible that their may be new drivers for the devices (etc) concerned so the 'rigmarole' of reinstalling them may actually be beneficial.

• RMweb Premium

Of course its possible that their may be new drivers for the devices (etc) concerned so the 'rigmarole' of reinstalling them may actually be beneficial.

There aren't any new drivers (and won't be) but the ones to use with Win 10, which are the same ones for Win 7 & 8, have been approved by the manufacturer but not certified by MS!

The manufacturer recommends the "rigmarole" route to install them.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I have read that if you have installed any unsigned drivers they get jettisoned and you have go through the rigmarole of re-installing them.

Keith

I thought I had better go and see what had happened to my Sprog3 and Windows 10PC. It needed the unsigned drivers procedure when 8.1 was installed, and went to the original win 10 without problem. I connected the Sprog3 and all works well, except it does say on Com5 "usb device" rather than Sprog, but it does work so unless necessary I will leave it.

• RMweb Premium

I thought I had better go and see what had happened to my Sprog3 and Windows 10PC. It needed the unsigned drivers procedure when 8.1 was installed, and went to the original win 10 without problem. I connected the Sprog3 and all works well, except it does say on Com5 "usb device" rather than Sprog, but it does work so unless necessary I will leave it.

If you had already installed drivers before an update to Win 10 they should still be there, most of my other stuff was fine.

Unfortunately due to some problem my drivers (Lenz LI-USB) needed to be re-installed and I had to go through the extended install method.

Reports from early uptakers of the latest big W10 upgrade have reported that these sorts of drivers now need to be re-installed again.

Cheers

Keith

Well, I finally downloaded it (got tired of being moaned at, and had a few problems with 8.1 anyway.

Everything seems to work OK actually, except the start menu sometimes won't, well, start (from screen or key).

A restart cures it, but has anyone anything one can do to stop it happening - anything that is that can be expressed simply enough for the computer=challenged to understand?

• RMweb Gold

Well, I finally downloaded it (got tired of being moaned at, and had a few problems with 8.1 anyway.

Everything seems to work OK actually, except the start menu sometimes won't, well, start (from screen or key).

A restart cures it, but has anyone anything one can do to stop it happening - anything that is that can be expressed simply enough for the computer=challenged to understand?

I believe that one solution is to create yourself a new login account, copy your files across to it and, when happy with the new one, delete the old account.

You should also be able to recover the start menu by simply signing out and back in, rather than restarting the PC.

• RMweb Gold

If you had already installed drivers before an update to Win 10 they should still be there, most of my other stuff was fine.

Unfortunately due to some problem my drivers (Lenz LI-USB) needed to be re-installed and I had to go through the extended install method.

Reports from early uptakers of the latest big W10 upgrade have reported that these sorts of drivers now need to be re-installed again.

Cheers

Keith

I can confirm it was after the big upgrade this week that everything Sprog related still worked.

After some concerns about being able to transfer and still being able to use my Lotus Approach database (critical in my case) I eventually risked it.

It downloaded W10 fairly quickly, with no problems and  luckily for me my database still works.

However my computer when running W7 Pro. had a strange habit of mysteriously locking up and shutting down. (Which even baffled my local Professional computer guru)

Since I have been using W10 this has not happened once.

I wonder if the continuous upgrades inflicted on us by MS had caused the problem with W7 Pro.

Anyone else had a similar problem apparently solved by the W10 upgrade. ?

One new IE problem I have found since the Anniversary update affects another forum whereby if a click on a notification of a new or replied to message the page with that message on shows centred on the message but the page cannot be scrolled. Have to remove the post number from the end of the address to get the page to reload and then can scroll.

• RMweb Premium

After some concerns about being able to transfer and still being able to use my Lotus Approach database (critical in my case) I eventually risked it.

Lotus Smartsuite works fine and always has done under Win 10. I have version 9.8 which had info about year 2000 bugs!!

My first version was a version for Windows 3.1 on floppies.

All my databases are Approach, I could never get on with MS Access even though I had Office Pro at one point, some of the databases have come from a long time back via other databases using the dbf format or were converted to it. *

(If Lotus didn't work you could find something else to work with the dbf files)

The only niggle I have is that on one PC the save function doesn't always work 100% and I have to do it again.

*I even have (somewhere) some databases originally from the BBC micro.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Most of us have a rough idea of what goes on but there are some (if you read other forums) who have had or are having problems.  I had problems most of which have been solved but I still have to work around odd things which wasn't necessary with PW7.  It's too bad that MS can't get it right before inflicting  this on a suspecting public! :stinker:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

I'm pleased to say that I've managed to miss the free imposition of the curate's egg that is W10 on users, and having heard good and bad from different users, I'm going to stuck with W7 until I change the computer, by which time, hopefully the bugs and kinks will be ironed out.  I am still not clear on whether the reported issues with W10 and Samsung laptops is resolved, but as I have just such a laptop, I'm not keen to take the risk.  I've had problems with the print drivers for HP with this machine, and have just managed at last to get the printer to work more than just intermittently, and I'm not about to start that journey of exploration again just for the dubious advantage of another new OS, and particularly one which seems to be controlled as much by MS as by the user.

I've upgraded 2 machines to W10, but will continue to use W7 on my main machines for the foreseeable future. Why? Well I prefer the interface W7 presents, although there is not a lot of difference. Also, I find W10 slightly slower and more prone to deciding it wants to do something I don't want it to do, and at an inconvenient moment. Because of that, I "feel" it is less stable. With all that has been written about W10, I rather feel that it needed at least another 12-24 months development before release, but I think MS felt it could not afford to wait that long otherwise another XP situation would have developed.

• RMweb Gold

Another Tuesday update taking Win 10 to 10586.545

I wonder when the 2016 version will be released to the run of the mill users?

Keith

You don't have to wait - just go here and click "update now" at a time of your choosing.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

There was an update too for the new version (1607) which takes it to 14393.51.

I'm pleased to say that I've managed to miss the free imposition of the curate's egg that is W10 on users, and having heard good and bad from different users, I'm going to stuck with W7 until I change the computer, ...

I've been changing the internal bits of the home PC, and can now finally run Win 7.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You don't have to wait - just go here and click "update now" at a time of your choosing.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

There was an update too for the new version (1607) which takes it to 14393.51.

Seems there is a problem with this Anniversary Update, especially if you have an SSD for Windows OS and other HDD(s) for data - see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-may-freeze-after-installing-the/5a60d75d-120a-4502-873c-8bfec65c82d0

The PC that I use in the railway room for RR&Co is fairly old (about 6 years) but it's used not just for the railway but is also a backup for our main PCs. It has a 60 Gb SSD dedicated to Windows C drive, plus a pair of 500 Gb Seagate HDDs for data.  It got Windows 7 from new, was updated to W10 last August and has subsequently had both the November (1511) update and last month's (1607) - all via in-place updates.

Yesterday I decided to do a clean install from the 1607 ISO. I first disconnected the two HDDs and installed the ISO.  All OK (and very quick!) so I reconnected the two HDDs and rebooted.  But I immediately got a BSOD saying "Inaccessible boot device". Only by disconnecting both HDDs would the PC boot. I had an old 250 Gb drive that was spare so I tried connecting that to no avail. I then did a clean install of 1607 onto that HDD, which worked fine but once the SSD was connected got the same error.  So the HDD won't boot if the SSD is plugged in, and vice versa.

Fortunately I'd taken an image backup of the SSD before starting so I've simply restored that and all is well.

So if you have SSDs I would not install 1607 yet.  And don't try a clean install on an old-ish PC.  On my wife's PC, which had a new motherboard/processor/memory earlier this year, I did a clean install of 1607 last weekend with no problems and her PC also has an SSD + HDD.

It should be okay - the Win 10 install process is exactly the same as for the evil Win 8. The drivers will need to be reinstalled once the W10 Anniversary Update has been installed.

• RMweb Premium

Did you originally load the drivers twice?

Normally once you get the "USB device on Com5" you need to update the drivers again!

I have just newly installed my Lenz LI-USB and my Sprog onto a Win10 PC which didn't have them and I had to "update" the drivers twice for both (using the unsigned driver method)

The first just sets up the USB and the second allocates the proper name to the device.

Try clicking on the Sprog Com port and doing another driver update.

Cheers

Keith