The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

Three computers just had this Tuesday's update (KB4088776) which takes you to 1709 16299,309

Went through fairly quickly although my oldest PC (about to be upgraded) took two attempts as the first download didn't verify.

No problems so far.

Keith

Some here but my mini W10 laptop had a least a couple of attempts to download it and that is only 3 years old.

I'm still running Win10 Pro 64-bit, with all the updates, including Office 365. I use Edge too. Never had a single problem yet, though I do occasionally get a reboot without warning (I presume after an upgrade. Happened twice in close succession yesterday.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I'm still running Win10 Pro 64-bit, with all the updates, including Office 365. I use Edge too. Never had a single problem yet, though I do occasionally get a reboot without warning (I presume after an upgrade. Happened twice in close succession yesterday.

Stewart

The Missus' laptop just did the update and was as bit slow as usual. It is only a Celeron dual core with a basic slow hard drive so no surprise.

The unusual thing is that all 4 PCs found the update around the same time, normally they are spread out over several days or even weeks before they all find it.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Latest update came through today KB4093112

Takes it to version 16299,371

About the quickest of the recent ones, can't be much in it.

Keith

You were lucky - taken an hour to download, install, assemble!, and prepare. According to this web page

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4093112/windows-10-update-kb4093112

its just a set of patches ("quality improvements" in MS speak) but has a built in error in that Windows Update reports it has failed - a different KB number is quoted on the above page (someone copying and pasting presumably without checking everything0

• RMweb Premium

Latest update came through today KB4093112

Takes it to version 16299,371

About the quickest of the recent ones, can't be much in it.

Keith

Win 10 applied the updates this morning.

When I rebooted, it claimed it couldn't find my profile & gave me a temporary one. Scary, because all my icons and set up were GONE.

So I rebooted again and all is well.

• RMweb Gold

Win 10 applied the updates this morning.

When I rebooted, it claimed it couldn't find my profile & gave me a temporary one. Scary, because all my icons and set up were GONE.

So I rebooted again and all is well.

This has happened a couple of times on both mine and the wife's PC.  Not sure what causes it, but signing out and back in fixes it. First happened a couple of weeks ago so it's not the latest fixes that have introduced the problem. 

• RMweb Gold

I noticed after the most recent Windows10 update that my system was running continuously at 15% cpu usage even when idle. Causing the fan to start and stop and random intervals.

After some digging it turned out to be caused by a screensaver slideshow running on the login screen. Or at least, turning that off cured the problem.

Which adds two more items to the long list of Windows mysteries. Why leave a login slideshow running in the background after a user has logged in? And why change it in the latest update?

To turn it off, go to Start > Settings > Personalisation > Lock screen. In the drop-down change Slideshow to Picture. Or alternatively scroll down and switch off "Show lock screen background picture".

Your mileage may vary. May contain nuts.

Martin.

It's dun it again!  While resizing images taken from my April 2018 folder, I returned to said folder for another image only to find it had gaw'n...... Gaw'n completely!  But where and why? I had only deleted a few thumbnails , but this isn't the first time Windows 10 has 'eaten' my photographic folders. I lost a complete year (2015) while editing all the months to form a complete year. Someone once told me the lost items are on the hard drive, but I'm blowed if I can find the key to resurrecting them. Search only tells me there is no trace of them on the PC.

• RMweb Gold

It's dun it again!  While resizing images taken from my April 2018 folder, I returned to said folder for another image only to find it had gaw'n...... Gaw'n completely!  But where and why? I had only deleted a few thumbnails , but this isn't the first time Windows 10 has 'eaten' my photographic folders. I lost a complete year (2015) while editing all the months to form a complete year. Someone once told me the lost items are on the hard drive, but I'm blowed if I can find the key to resurrecting them. Search only tells me there is no trace of them on the PC.

Hi Larry,

Have you looked in the Recycle Bin? If you find it there, right-click on it and then click Restore. It will go back where you left it.

If you haven't looked in the Recycle Bin for months/years you may have a lot of stuff in there and it may take quite a while to display all of it. There's a "search recycle bin" box at the top. 

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

p.s.,

If using cheapo USB memory sticks from eBay and such, there is a scam where they claim to be and report themselves to Windows as being say 8GB, but in fact contain only say 1GB if memory. What then happens is that when you save a new file into what appears to be empty space, you are in fact overwriting (and losing) a previous saved file.

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Try a program such as "Recuva" (Free) https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva it can find deleted files if they haven't been overwritten. A better program is "EaseUS Data Recovery" https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm but it is limited to restoring 500 files unless you pay.

The MS-DOS way of deleting files is to change the first character of the file name to a "$" rather than deleting them to tell the filing system to ignore them. Recovery programmes search for files like that.

It's amazing what you can find!

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

New version being pushed out  - 1803 (or Redstone 4)

https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-redstone-4-version-1803-new-features/

Noticed my desktop trying and failing so I downloaded the ISO version on a usb drive from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 to make its simpler to update the laptop and mini laptop - choose Download Tool now

• RMweb Premium

Both my main desktop and my laptop found the update this evening.

Strangely (for once) the laptop did it quicker even though it was on a slower connection. :scratchhead: 

Can't see any difference without delving more.

Keith

Try a program such as "Recuva" (Free) https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva it can find deleted files if they haven't been overwritten. A better program is "EaseUS Data Recovery" https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm but it is limited to restoring 500 files unless you pay.

The MS-DOS way of deleting files is to change the first character of the file name to a "$" rather than deleting them to tell the filing system to ignore them. Recovery programmes search for files like that.

It's amazing what you can find!

Keith

Please excuse my belated reply.....I have only looked in on this thread again tonight.

Larry

Both my main desktop and my laptop found the update this evening.

Strangely (for once) the laptop did it quicker even though it was on a slower connection. :scratchhead:

My laptop took the best part of 3 hours to install (taken off the iso image on a usb stick). At one point the screen was flashing black/grey and the fan was going very fast so I switched it off. Back on and it carried on installing. That took it to c.11 last night so switched it off once up and running. Back on today and its added some "extra features". One annoying thing it did was to list the US language pack so I got an ENG indication next to the clock. Went into Langauages (through Settings) clicked on the US one and hit delete - ENG indication gone.

• RMweb Premium

You won't initially :P

But there's plenty of sites that document the changes in an easy-to-read manner.

The short story is that there isn't much change.

Seemed to have gained a desktop icon for Edge, can't remember seeng that before.

Keith

Another computer has got one as well. Sneaky MS

2nd Edit. All 4 got the Edge icon which I had not installed on the desktops.

They really don't want you to use anything else. :nono:

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi, This morning my laptop wouldn't start. It was showing a message to that effect and offered restart or solutions. I chose to restart and after a while just had a black screen with the Dell logo on it, nothing else happening. I left it a while but nothing. So powered in down and up. Eventually got the same two choices, this time I chose solutions. I had to drop back to the previous version to get it to work. Immediately afterwards it started downloading the latest update again. I'd done that on the 3rd May and all was working OK for 2 days. However the OS was showing that I'd downloaded the upgrade on the 3rd, so why was it trying to download again?

After the numerous restarts, it's now at 10.17134 Build 17134. I hope this will be the end of this episode, but not holding my breath.

Whilst looking for solutions I noticed I didn't have any restore points. I thought Windows would create those automatically. I've had the laptop several months. I created one after dropping back, but that has now disappeared after updating. is that normal? Now created another.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5557 Window 10 Home 64 bit. My other PC, a desktop, with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, seems not to have had this occur........yet!  That's been at the new Build for a week.

Any observations, please.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

Every time a new version of Windows is installed, it turns the system restore function off. At least, it does on my machine...

Maybe because there is nothing to restore to?

It also wipes previous performance data and removes the list of updates to the previous version.

The "Feature updates" are in effect giving you a virtually new version of Windows 10 each time, which is in line with MS policy of Windows as a service.

This is unlike software that gets updates until it is no longer viable to do so and is then replaced with a completely new version.

This was how Windows pre Win 10 operated.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Maybe because there is nothing to restore to?

It also wipes previous performance data and removes the list of updates to the previous version.

The "Feature updates" are in effect giving you a virtually new version of Windows 10 each time, which is in line with MS policy of Windows as a service.

This is unlike software that gets updates until it is no longer viable to do so and is then replaced with a completely new version.

This was how Windows pre Win 10 operated.

Keith

I surmised as much but wasn't sure. 

Rob

• RMweb Premium

One thing I have noticed with these various major updates is that they sometimes change settings.

e.g. My laptop had a power plan set that shut down the computer if the power button was pressed

After the previous update this had changed to "sleep" instead meaning I pressed the button and found later (many hours later!) that the battery had gone flat because it hadn't properly shut down.

Another instance was the privacy setting had changed on my wife's laptop so that MS could get usage feedback when it had been previously changed to no feedback.

Worth checking through after an update to see everything's as you wanted.

Keith

EDIT My railway pc has multiple screens and I had to reconfigure them as the upgrade messed them around.

Edited by melmerby