Optimum baseboard thickness using Ply.

My current baseboards were laid using 4mm ply.

Whilst I avoided the DIY stores when making my purchase they are not completely flat and I suspect thickness plays a part (the board not me!)

Also 4mm boards are rubbish if you want to screw in a Seep point motor underneath.

So my question is, what is the optimum thickness of ply baseboard where it will be flat, can be screwed into but won't weigh a ton?

Sorry forgot scale and current set up.

Scale is N scale.

The layout floats as it is wall hung, currently round 2 walls, one is a solid wall the other an internal plasterboard effort.

New width will be 2 foot up from the current 18 inches, I guess I might need to add a couple of legs just to support a wider more substantial board.

post-165-0-75146500-1438455438_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I have built in 5mm ply - a freebee from the back of an abandoned wardrobe and the ply was tending to sag between the 30cm (1ft) supports.

6mm ply has been OK however.  Both will take small screws for holding point motors.

the thinner the ply the more important it is to brace the ply under-surface directly in both directions at roughly 30cm centres.

I note from the picture that you are directly bracing across the boards, but seem not to be directly bracing down the length of the boards.  Relying on a brace supporting the cross braces, but not supporting the baseboard directly is likely to lead to sagging.

All of these comments are pretty much made without regard to scale and gauge.

• RMweb Premium

Consider quality as much as thickness.

We had some 9mm ply at the club that was akin to a McVities digestive biscuit dipped in tea. 6mm birch ply was stronger.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that not only do you need to provide adequate bracing, you need to provide adequate support to that bracing itself. I wouldn't be surprised if a frame that was only supported by supports no more than a couple of inches wide in two places, would itself start to twist and go out of shape.

6mm ply will work if properly braced. My 4mm scale portable layout is built with a 6mm top and braced with the same material at 16" centres. It was built in 2009 and has remained stable. It sits on a pair of 1"x 3" L-girder frames. I have since changed the bracing under the L girder for added stability.

post-5047-0-34079800-1438463471_thumb.jpg

The hole in the deck is for a sliding shelf type fiddleyard.

post-5047-0-00062900-1438463511_thumb.jpg

HTH

David

6mm ply will work if properly braced. My 4mm scale portable layout is built with a 6mm top and braced with the same material at 16" centres. It was built in 2009 and has remained stable. It sits on a pair of 1"x 3" L-girder frames. I have since changed the bracing under the L girder for added stability.

attachicon.gifframework.jpg

The hole in the deck is for a sliding shelf type fiddleyard.

attachicon.gifframework & deck.jpg

HTH

David

What sort of ply is that?

• RMweb Gold

That is a concern looking at Birch Ply on the web.

Mind when I were a lad, chipboard was your standard baseboard top....

Actually, I was just being flippant regarding your apparent typo.  You mean 6mm ply not 6 inch ply?

I've just dug out my copy of Barry Norman's Landscape Modelling to check and he used 9mm ply sandwiching softwood blocks for Petherick but mentions that he has since used the same method with 6mm and that seems stable.

If your room is subject to humidity and/or wide temperature variations, I would strongly suggest that you go for marine (or external) ply next time, at whatever depth - I agree with others that 9mm carries the least risk of sagging for 00, but maybe you can get away with 6mm for N gauge, given sufficient bracing, as the weight of trains and scenery is lower. Over-soaking when ballasting or making scenery should also be avoided.

• RMweb Premium

I was looking at this last year. At the same time, to keep SWMBO happy, I decided that some decent flooring in the kitchen and dining room would be good to earn points. We I decided on Karndean Flooring from one of their local cntract outlets/fitters. Thefitters have to guarantee excellent work to keep their Karndean Contract and use top class underply at 6mm. Helpful chaps who understood model railway work!  I was directed to their local timber supplier at Donny. That's where I got my huge sheets cut to a convenient size for tops and sides/braces as well. Bit of a bonus is that the Contract firm have given me loads of their 'leftovers' and I can pop in anytime to collect more as it only gets dumped!!

Not suggesting you need new flooring, however your local firm may well be pleased for you to take 'leftovers' as they have to pay for disposal at the dump! 

I have found 6mm, well braced is fine for 4' X 3' portable boards as per Barry Norman.

Phil 

Warping and twisting is likely to be caused by a pine frame. Kiln-dried pine makes good bonfires. This baseboard is made from 4mm Scandinavian birch ply'.

DSC_7032-2_zps343dbae1.jpg

It's 4 feet by 2 feet and the sides, ends and cross-beams are 6 inches deep. The only pine parts are the spacer blocks. I have four baseboards to this design for my 7mm exhibition layout and they have remained stable with no signs of distortion since they were built in 2010. As it is an exhibition layout it is most important that the weight is kept down. They were also quick to make as I got the supplier to cut the sheets to 2 foot and 6 inch strips.

Scandinavian birch ply' is not cheap but it's worth spending more on baseboards IMHO to get a stable result.

Chaz

Actually, I was just being flippant regarding your apparent typo.  You mean 6mm ply not 6 inch ply?

I've just dug out my copy of Barry Norman's Landscape Modelling to check and he used 9mm ply sandwiching softwood blocks for Petherick but mentions that he has since used the same method with 6mm and that seems stable.

Six inches would guarantee no warping though, LOL.

If your room is subject to humidity and/or wide temperature variations, I would strongly suggest that you go for marine (or external) ply next time, at whatever depth - I agree with others that 9mm carries the least risk of sagging for 00, but maybe you can get away with 6mm for N gauge, given sufficient bracing, as the weight of trains and scenery is lower. Over-soaking when ballasting or making scenery should also be avoided.

It's in the study/office and it's a nice stable temperature.

Archived