Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Ripper Street train.

Good find Phil, that's fascinating. I watched it on Friday and it did look very good, they certainly captured the look and feel of railways in a grimy urban environment.

The construct to get the two trains to have a head on was ludicrous but we'll put it in the 'ripping good yarn' category. I'm not one to get overly irritated by railway howlers in drama productions.

It did make me wonder when was the last head on railway collision in the UK?

So who's going to be the first to turn up at an exhibition with a bright green background as a back scene on there layout. It will be like the King and his new clothes "Sorry Gov its the latest CGI back scene cant you see it?"

very clever. now all they need to do is get the right period trains. For all the effort put into getting other period features correct, it would not take long to do that. Imagine the fuss if they used a 1930s car in the program.

It will also be interesting how other films make use of preserved railways in the future. There won't be the same objections from railway managers that their nice well maintained track has to be damaged just to create a realistic train crash.

As for green screens at exhibitions, I don't think it works unless you watch through camera. Depending on costs it might make an interesting project, but wonder how many people would want to pay to come into an exhibition, just to watch something on a TV screen.

While we're about it, the layout featured in the bad guy's room was, shall we say, very advanced for its time. Metcalf buildings, electric two rail, post 1900 tender loco etc...

Mind you, as a thriller, it's a great programme.

steve

• RMweb Gold

Good find Phil, that's fascinating. I watched it on Friday and it did look very good, they certainly captured the look and feel of railways in a grimy urban environment.

The construct to get the two trains to have a head on was ludicrous but we'll put it in the 'ripping good yarn' category. I'm not one to get overly irritated by railway howlers in drama productions.

Cowden, I think. Led to the repeat signals to prevent trains starting against a red.

• RMweb Gold

very clever. now all they need to do is get the right period trains. For all the effort put into getting other period features correct, it would not take long to do that. Imagine the fuss if they used a 1930s car in the program.

It will also be interesting how other films make use of preserved railways in the future. There won't be the same objections from railway managers that their nice well maintained track has to be damaged just to create a realistic train crash.

As for green screens at exhibitions, I don't think it works unless you watch through camera. Depending on costs it might make an interesting project, but wonder how many people would want to pay to come into an exhibition, just to watch something on a TV screen.

Being set in the East End, there probably is not anything preserved that would tick the boxes. For South London, it might just be possible to find the necessary.

But perhaps an enterprising preserved line should take the chassis from a couple of industrials and put fake bodies on them?

• RMweb Premium

There are two that come to mind but I'm not sure of the dates.

Farnley Junction where a 47 went into a DMU after a crossover had been wrongly wired.  I watched them being pulled apart and I think one of the drivers died.

Crowden where I think it was two DEMU's on a single line.

Jamie

The head-on collision at Abermule in 1921 showed how, no matter how 'fool proof' the systems, human nature can always overcome them.

see http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BoT_Abermule1921.pdffor details

Thanks for the responses re head on collisions, Joseph, Jamie and Mike. More recent than I expected.

Google tells me Farnley Junction was 1977 and both drivers perished, one instantly, one a few hours later.

Cowden was October 15, 1994. Two DEMUs in fog. The guard, apparently keen to become a driver, of the northbound train was in the cab, the driver missed a red and both of them, the other driver and two passengers died.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the responses re head on collisions, Joseph, Jamie and Mike. More recent than I expected.

Google tells me Farnley Junction was 1977 and both drivers perished, one instantly, one a few hours later.

Cowden was October 15, 1994. Two DEMUs in fog. The guard, apparently keen to become a driver, of the northbound train was in the cab, the driver missed a red and both of them, the other driver and two passengers died.

As mentioned above I actually went to the scene of Farnley Junction as I was working in the area that night.  It was a sad thing and as far as I recall happened because the two signalling engineers had cross wired something in the relay cabinet that controlled the crossover.  This was apparently after a couple of pints at lunchtime.  This I was told lead to the current drink and drugs testing regime which later became (IIRC) part of the Transport and Work Act and the provisions were extended to workers other than footplate staff in safety critical jobs.  So at least some good came out of the tragedy.  

Jamie

As for green screens at exhibitions, I don't think it works unless you watch through camera.

Hmm Yeah I was actually joking there my friend, I kind of figured that no one would stand there looking at just a green screen back ground

No one would stand and look at a green screen but something high tec might make a change. The rail simulators at some exhibitions have been popular.

As for suitable late 19th century locos, I think many industrial shunters might look the part better, especially with open cabs. Plenty of suitable coaches as well. It is just sloppy props management. These people have info on what properties can be used for various locations, and I am sure much else. Thus it would not be too much trouble to find suitable railway items. Not talking fully authentic, but something that captures the feel of the period.

Maybe they think "Train Nerds" are the only ones who'll notice...?

I mean, I've just had to watch "Humans" on C4. Didn't understand one second of it, not least the bit at the end that showed an aerial shot of a Virgin Pendolino, then cut to the interior with a shot of the train passing an East Midlands Trains HST...

Ladbroke Grove,probably.

Archived