RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

In the UK driving through the city of Rugby probably needs a lot of patients. Well here's me driving through Rugby......our Australian Rugby in southern New South Wales. It's between the towns of Boorowa and Crookwell. As you can see it's a hive of activity.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, faulcon1 said:

In the UK driving through the city of Rugby probably needs a lot of patients. Well here's me driving through Rugby......our Australian Rugby in southern New South Wales. It's between the towns of Boorowa and Crookwell. As you can see it's a hive of activity.

I think the Rugby NHS has enough of their own... 

• Funny 2

On 06/07/2019 at 07:51, faulcon1 said:

I've come across sheep at Dent Head Viaduct on the S&C on the road at the base of the viaduct being shepherded by a farmer from one field to another on a quad bike. However these sheep are grazing at the roadside. One needs to move slowly but must keep moving. If you stop then the sheep will gather round your car and it will be hard to start moving again as you may run down the sheep. This was in the Batlow/ Tumbarumba area of the high country in southern New South Wales.

This can happen in the UK as well; there is a road nears me (the A62 over Standedge) where drivers have to have their feet close to the brae pedal at all times, due to sheep on the road.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/07/2019 at 09:32, 62613 said:

This can happen in the UK as well; there is a road nears me (the A62 over Standedge) where drivers have to have their feet close to the brae pedal at all times, due to sheep on the road.

am over the standage road upto four times a day too from Delph and various woolen mills for deliverys am often brought to a complete stop by groups of four grazing at the side or crossing the road the amount of near misses with entitled speed merchants in thier chelsea tractors and suvs who overtake whilst im slowing and suddenly find 100kg of four legged wall about to total theyre pride and joy is unbeluevable .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, peanuts said:

am over the standage road upto four times a day too from Delph and various woolen mills for deliverys am often brought to a complete stop by groups of four grazing at the side or crossing the road the amount of near misses with entitled speed merchants in thier chelsea tractors and suvs who overtake whilst im slowing and suddenly find 100kg of four legged wall about to total theyre pride and joy is unbeluevable .

Ah yes the 4WD's who go anywhere. Lots of the population have Snorkels on them, such as next door. I was explaining to the other half, about how drivers think they can go through flood water. Well you can, if its still and you know the road surface is still there!

But as is often the case, they can get swept off swollen rivers & creeks, with water much less than the height of the Snorkel and need to be rescued - if they're lucky!

Or worse than a 4WD

https://junkee.com/maserati-melbourne-flood/137612

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

At a under railway bridge in Hoveton a white soft top Mercedes did that but rolled out the other side,  whereupon every one else panicked including a lorry,and turned round.  I just drove down and through, It was only a foot deep. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about parking standards... 

someone decided to park in Wroxham a hundred yards or so short of the bridge... its quite legal to do so. But.... 

It's led to over a mile of traffic jams  out of the town and way beyond the railway bridge 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

someone decided to park in Wroxham a hundred yards or so short of the bridge... its quite legal to do so. But.... 

It's led to over a mile of traffic jams  out of the town and way beyond the railway bridge 

Council traffic calming in perfect action?

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TheQ said:

Then its bad planning by the road authority, to not restrict parking there.

• Agree 2

As a council employee we now have dedicated parking spaces which are used by us but also plumbers, electricians, painters, police, ambulance, fire brigade. But members of the public often take no notice of the no parking signs. I have heavy equipment to carry  and often have to park in the disabled parking spot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

As a council employee we now have dedicated parking spaces which are used by us but also plumbers, electricians, painters, police, ambulance, fire brigade. But members of the public often take no notice of the no parking signs. I have heavy equipment to carry  and often have to park in the disabled parking spot.

Sorry but no, if you don't have a valid disabled sign, you aren't entitled to use a disabled spot. Only holders or people picking up/dropping off such holders are allowed to use them.

Too bad if it's the only parking spot available.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of a story I heard from another coach driver a few years ago, he parked in a roadside bay marked "Disabled" to let his passengers off, IIRC outside a theatre or similar. Another motorist approached, wanting to park there, and was very upset with him, pointing out correctly that he didn't have a disabled badge in his windscreen, and that he wasn't disabled, so had no right to park there. Whereupon he opened the lockers and started removing the dozen or so wheelchairs belonging to his passengers...

• Like 9

That doesn't matter. The law clearly states that you have to have a blue badge and display it to park in a disabled bay. If he'd have got a badge off one of the disabled people and displayed it he'd have been legal-ish (as it's not in the spirit of the blue badge rules), but as he didn't he was breaking the law. I had the same argument with a taxi who was blocking the disabled spot at a shop waiting for someone to come out. It was the only space and he only moved after I threatened to photograph the car and report him. We have enough trouble when trying to find a space as it is (and it'll be even worse since they've changed the requirements). Most theatres have a drop off zone for such purposes, he should have found out where that was and used that instead of blocking a disabled bay which isn't supposed to be use purely to drop someone off.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

Well I have a council parking permit so I can park anywhere. Disabled, loading zones, no parking zones, no stopping zones, park lands anywhere. I can drive across playing fields too if I need too as long as no ones playing at the time. I don't like parking in the disabled spot because then where do disabled people park. Mind you most of the people who park there aren't actually disabled. They're just old people who have a walking stick. My dad had two walking sticks and he flatly refused to have a disabled parking permit. I can walk so I'm not disabled was what he said. These old people have a disabled parking permit but they can walking the length and breadth of the town no problems. The trouble is someone who is genuinely disabled then has no where to park because of all the oldies and their stiff limbs.

It all started here with the ex Olympian Dawn Fraser who had a big Nissan Patrol 4x4 and lived in inner Sydney. She claimed the parking spots were too small out the front of her apartment and insisted on a double parking space or a disabled parking space. She got the later and that opened the floodgates. Anyone with a mild permanent limp was suddenly entitled to a disabled parking permit. Then there are the people who have a disabled relative and they have a disabled parking permit. Now they're only supposed to use it IF the disabled relative is in the car and is going to get out and back into the car. But no, they use disabled parking spaces whether the disabled person is in the car or not. If the disabled person is in the car but is not going to get out then they're not supposed to use a disabled parking space. There is lady who lives up the road from me who in my eyes is genuinely disabled for she carries her wheelchair on the roof of her car. Now she uses hand controls and there's a big knob on her steering wheel so she can safely steer with one hand. She told me she has trouble parking locally due to all the old "fake" disabled permit holders.  

Edited by faulcon1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Many car drivers complain about motorbike and scooter riders doing as they please. But this person has absolutely no idea of what they're doing. But they do end up in the safest place for everyone.

• Funny 3

5 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

Well I have a council parking permit so I can park anywhere. Disabled,

Can you show me where it says that and which council? As far as I am aware it doesn't matter what sort of permit you have it does not over-rule the legalities of a blue badge bay.

Would agree with the rest of your post. The recent change to the BB scheme is that people with "hidden disabilities" now get them as well. I've no doubt some will need them but they've gone for a blanket coverage, and with the fiddlers and miss-users it'll soon be impossible to find a spot.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

Many car drivers complain about motorbike and scooter riders doing as they please. But this person has absolutely no idea of what they're doing. But they do end up in the safest place for everyone.

Drunk as a skunk.

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Can you show me where it says that and which council? As far as I am aware it doesn't matter what sort of permit you have it does not over-rule the legalities of a blue badge bay.

Would agree with the rest of your post. The recent change to the BB scheme is that people with "hidden disabilities" now get them as well. I've no doubt some will need them but they've gone for a blanket coverage, and with the fiddlers and miss-users it'll soon be impossible to find a spot.

Faulcon1 is in Australia - they may well have different rules to us...

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Faulcon1 is in Australia - they may well have different rules to us...

Faulcon1 is indeed in Australia, as am I.

However, I doubt very much if his council permit allows him to override disabled parking regulations.

There does seem to be differences between the states (Faulcon1 is in NSW & I'm in Vic), so maybe I'm wrong. Victoria is due to change to a national scheme later this year.

Misuse, certainly doesn't go down well! This article is from NSW.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/what-happens-when-selfish-drivers-park-in-a-disabled-spaces-20180324-p4z60t.html

• Like 1