Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

I think the brakes at a stop thing often depends on if you're driving an auto or not too. When I drive mums auto its either accelerate or footbrake, whereas my manual I'll use the handbrake to free up my foot for the clutch.

• Like 4

Interesting suggestion here,

https://news.sky.com/story/officers-should-be-allowed-to-ban-drug-and-drink-drivers-at-the-roadside-police-chiefs-say-13077983

Given the nature of a Drink/Drugs test I cant see why it should not be adopted, after all my neighbour's Driving Licence was taken away on medical grounds so why not the same for Drinkers & Druggies?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

https://news.sky.com/story/officers-should-be-allowed-to-ban-drug-and-drink-drivers-at-the-roadside-police-chiefs-say-13077983

Given the nature of a Drink/Drugs test I cant see why it should not be adopted, after all my neighbour's Driving Licence was taken away on medical grounds so why not the same for Drinkers & Druggies?

I'd have thought doing so at the point of being charged would be better? I know the difference between the two is only a technicality, but less chance of some expensive lawyer arguing about it...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Certainly in Victoria, Australia if you test over, it's instant loss. Up to 0.049 and free to go. 0.05 and licence lost for at least 3 months. On TV they have a show called RBT (Random Breath Test) and yes people have been done for 0.05! It's on YouTube too, I believe.

The length of losing it, depends on the level tested and for higher tests, court.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/drink-driving-drug-driving-and-excessive-speed-offences/drink-and-drug-driving-offences/drink-driving-offences

That is a proper breath test, not the blow in tube machine.

Not sure about drugs.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2024 at 00:39, Coldgunner said:

I think the brakes at a stop thing often depends on if you're driving an auto or not too. When I drive mums auto its either accelerate or footbrake, whereas my manual I'll use the handbrake to free up my foot for the clutch.

Nothing to stop you putting the handbrake on with an automatic too. I don't unless I'm going to be there for a while.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Nothing to stop you putting the handbrake on with an automatic too. I don't unless I'm going to be there for a while.

I suspect that is why older American cars (and Mercedes) had a kick down handbrake pedal and a fly off release lever just under the dash. It saved wear and tear on the transmission bands whilst you sat at the lights, particularly on hill starts.

• Like 2

When stationary in traffic I tend to put the car into park unless it looks like a short wait. If on a hill I also apply the handbrake (electic, which automatically releases whjen you pull away.

Mrs P's car is a hybrid so you have to apply the handbrake because you never know what the thing will try to do when stationary.

• Like 4

On 20/02/2024 at 13:39, Coldgunner said:

Back when I had the Leaf it was a doddle to just push the Park button in the middle of the gear selector.

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The handbrake on my auto wouldn't hold the car stationary while it's in drive (especially after just being started while it's on fast idle).  I tend to put it in park or neutral if I know the wait will be more than a few seconds.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, admiles said:

The handbrake on my auto wouldn't hold the car stationary while it's in drive (especially after just being started while it's on fast idle).  I tend to put it in park or neutral if I know the wait will be more than a few seconds.

Yes that is true. Certainly one of my cars has been known to do that. However, my current mechanic NEVER has trouble adjusting it, so that it works exactly as it says in the manual!

• Like 1

Mum never uses the handbrake on her auto, we live in one of the flattest places in the country, so putting in Park is more than enough. You could leave it in neutral around here and it won't roll.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2024 at 11:09, beast66606 said:

I worked in Bahrain in the late 1990s - taking a taxi there was an life threatening experience

They're more like IAM  drivers compared to any Saudi drivers, I lived in Saudi in sight of Bahrain, /  the causeway to it  in the late 90s and have experience of both.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I suspect that is why older American cars (and Mercedes) had a kick down handbrake pedal and a fly off release lever just under the dash. It saved wear and tear on the transmission bands whilst you sat at the lights, particularly on hill starts.

Don't forget the superb Citroen XM!

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Last month my car was written off in a cash for crash scam. Yesterday evening I was taking a friend and his young son to a meeting when a driver parked on the nearside decided to do a u-turn right in front of me. This time however I was able to stop and just as well there was no one behind me.

• Friendly/supportive 9

20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't know if anyone has resurrected this idea yet?

"Teletouch" gear selector from 1958.

1958-Edsel-Tel-A-Touch-transmission-controls-1024x808.jpg.0923637d52711bc00892c4ca5e72e71c.jpg

Image: Maynard's Garage.

I look forward to being impaled on that.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

On Australian TV, there was an ad for a car showing the latest safety feature. A soft foam top to the dashboard, to give your head a soft impact, in the event of contact.

HOWEVER, before your forehead came in contact with the foam top, it would have to smash it's way through the steel steering wheel! Rather a pointless innovation. Sorry, I can't find the ad.

This was way before wearing of seat belts, was even considered, let alone became law.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Where's your sense of adventure? 🤣 

I think that the message was "Drive carefully or die horribly"...

Of course, car interior design has come a long way. Now we have soft steering wheels and driver airbags, ergonomic, tactile controls, blue tooth and heads up displays to take the eyes off the road etc.

Of course, it possible upgrade a classic to satisfy modern safety concerns, simply buy one these and paint it dull grey.....

cocomelon_learning_steering_wh_1670398410_edac30da_progressive.jpg.2affca9dd33fb611d838606b208fed60.jpg

I think that is what the car designers did?*

*Other styles are available.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Where's your sense of adventure? 🤣 

I think that the message was "Drive carefully or die horribly"...

Of course, car interior design has come a long way. Now we have soft steering wheels and driver airbags, ergonomic, tactile controls, blue tooth and heads up displays to take the eyes off the road etc.

Of course, it possible upgrade a classic to satisfy modern safety concerns, simply buy one these and paint it dull grey.....

cocomelon_learning_steering_wh_1670398410_edac30da_progressive.jpg.2affca9dd33fb611d838606b208fed60.jpg

I think that is what the car designers did?*

*Other styles are available.

Hi

I think you have missed the point of a head up display. You look through it to see the road but can also see what speed you are doing without looking down at your instruments.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

On Australian TV, there was an ad for a car showing the latest safety feature. A soft foam top to the dashboard, to give your head a soft impact, in the event of contact.

HOWEVER, before your forehead came in contact with the foam top, it would have to smash it's way through the steel steering wheel! Rather a pointless innovation. Sorry, I can't find the ad.

This was way before wearing of seat belts, was even considered, let alone became law.

"Crash pads" began to appear in the late 1950s on more upmarket cars, they were really only designed to give the passenger a modicum of protection in a low speed bump, that being the most common accident, I guess the driver was expected to "brace for impact". Lap type safety belts began to appear as an option around the same time and were fitted as standard in all new British cars from around 1964. Three point mounts for belts having been fitted for optional belts from 1962. 

Collapsible steering columns first appeared on the Vauxhall Victor FD in 1967.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

I think you have missed the point of a head up display. You look through it to see the road but can also see what speed you are doing without looking down at your instruments.

Cheers

Paul

I was taking the Mickey by the way...😉 

It might actually save a few of the regular rush hour rear end shunts that happen on the M4 outside Cardiff as driver's gaze constantly flicks from speedometer to the overhead signs that change the speed limit every few seconds like some one armed bandit.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

, I guess the driver was expected to "brace for impact".

IIRC the speed at which it becomes impossible to brace yourself is around 12mph.