The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Chinese Tianjin explosion

t8hants

Simple has any of the expected new products been destroyed, because a lot of people have lost their imports and exports,which may have included  the Chinese exported model railway stock which a great many here are waiting for. 

That is not to distract from the magnitude of the disaster, but it is a consideration for those who have pre-ordered stock, or are waiting for items that may now never come.

The effect on the modeling world may not be immediately apparent, and perhaps not of immediate importance, but there could be a lot of disappointment.

I was just pondering on how the effect of an incident happening the other side of the world may touch even the quietude of the RMWeb

In what way is this an appropriate question?

Look, I know that hundreds, maybe thousands of people may have been killed or badly injured but let's keep a sense of proportion. This event might well further delay the Dapol O gauge 08. :O

Chaz

Because the poster has acknowledged the loss of life and property and this is, after all, a model railway forum?

• RMweb Premium

I've just watched the footage on BBC1 Breakfast and it does seem to confirm my initial impression that this was a truly massive explosion. My initial thoughts last night were that it was in the megaton range. The pictures of the damage made me think of some the of the damage estimate charts that we used to have during 'War Duties' classes.

I sadly suspect that the death toll will rise dramatically over the next couple of days. I was particularly concerned with the pictures of the flimsy migrant workers housing that had been virtually destroyed.

Jamie

I've just watched the footage on BBC1 Breakfast and it does seem to confirm my initial impression that this was a truly massive explosion. My initial thoughts last night were that it was in the megaton range. The pictures of the damage made me think of some the of the damage estimate charts that we used to have during 'War Duties' classes.

I sadly suspect that the death toll will rise dramatically over the next couple of days. I was particularly concerned with the pictures of the flimsy migrant workers housing that had been virtually destroyed.

Jamie

I haven't watched the News reports yet but I saw a clip on Youtube. Truly terrifying. Those poor souls. They probably won't even find the bodies of some.

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the appalling loss of life and damage to property, does anybody know if Dapol and Kernow use the Tianjin for their imports, as shipping containers seem to have been destroyed in their hundreds.

I can just see the newspaper headlines:

"Chinese emergency services make special effort to save model railway containers while people reel from shockwave of massive explosions."

A bit like seeing this in 1912:

"Titanic Sinks.  Great loss of life.  Postcards from Britain and Ireland may not now be delivered. Shock Horror."

Or 1939

"War declared on Germany. Hornby model train production curtailed for the foreseeable future."

Seriously.  This is a major tragedy for the people of the area. May they get the help they need. May the dead rest in peace.

• RMweb Premium

Truly awful, our hearts can only go out to those who have been killed and injured and their loved ones. Not many in this country realise just how much carnage the Buncefield blast would have caused if it had happened during office hours, that would have created carnage too. Buncefield got lucky (in so far as you can say any explosion is lucky, sorry....) in that it happened at a time when occupancy of the site was low and surrounding offices were empty.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't watched the News reports yet but I saw a clip on Youtube. Truly terrifying. Those poor souls. They probably won't even find the bodies of some.

There were some shots of major structural damage to a tower block that appeared to be at least a kilometre from the blast that made me start thinking about the scale of the blast. Together with the very deep boom and the fact that the cameraman on the blast footage was blown over by the shock wave were also major triggers.

Jamie

There were some shots of major structural damage to a tower block that appeared to be at least a kilometre from the blast that made me start thinking about the scale of the blast. Together with the very deep boom and the fact that the cameraman on the blast footage was blown over by the shock wave were also major triggers.Jamie

Was it a chemical plant. Pardon my ignorance, but I not had time to look at it yet.

• RMweb Premium

I've just watched the footage on BBC1 Breakfast and it does seem to confirm my initial impression that this was a truly massive explosion. My initial thoughts last night were that it was in the megaton range.

BBC website is quoting equivalent to 3 tonnes TNT for the first explosion and 21 tonnes for the second. Death toll said to be 44 so far which includes 12 firemen. Seems to have been a chemical warehouse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33900268

The news yesterday evening described it as a warehouse/store for unspecified 'dangerous' materials. It is shocking to see footage of the explosion. Hard to comprehend the horror of it in an urban environment.

Hard to comprehend the horror of it in an urban environment.

Which I suppose begs the question "Why are such dangerous facilities so often to be found in urban areas?"

• RMweb Premium

"Why are such dangerous facilities so often to be found in urban areas?"

Because major ports and the urban areas to serve them grow together. Here in Southampton we have the (potential) risk of a munitions explosion at Marchwood Military Port and an explosion at Fawley. I have seen the projected damage maps for the latter and the worst case scenario affects the whole city. The container port probably receives consignments of imported Chinese fireworks.

Current news has 36 firefighters missing. I don't think their families care about what's in containers.

Pete

Apart from the appalling loss of life and damage to property, does anybody know if Dapol and Kernow use the Tianjin for their imports, as shipping containers seem to have been destroyed in their hundreds.

A sense of perspective required I think. Even if any suppliers do use ports in this area, the destruction of some model trains, or whatever else is in those containers, should not even be a consideration in the face of loss of human life and devastation on this scale (or, indeed on any scale). Any losses should be covered by insurance, so the suppliers would not lose out. And, frankly, if a few toy trains for wealthy Europeans are further delayed that's of no consequence to the people of Tianjin who are genuinely suffering today. Let's end this here, the topic is being locked off.

Archived