New Layout - 'Hufeisental'

Alan Kettlewell

Just gathering a few ideas for one of the other mountains on the layout .... A Schloss! Now that would be a real modelling challenge. A simplified version of course but could be a nice project indoors during the winter months .. hmmmm...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Cheers ... Alan

If you decide to do Neuschwanstein Castle Alan I hope it won't drive you mad like it did to King Ludwig ! :))

I went several years ago whilst driving through Bavaria and it certainly took my breath away. If you do decide on that one it'll be the icing on cake I reckon.

• Like 2

If you decide to do Neuschwanstein Castle Alan I hope it won't drive you mad like it did to King Ludwig ! :))

I went several years ago whilst driving through Bavaria and it certainly took my breath away. If you do decide on that one it'll be the icing on cake I reckon.

I'm sure even a model of that would take up half my shed. Something a lot more modest perhaps ... Edited by Alan Kettlewell
  • Like 1

I'm almost convinced I'd like a Schloss to dominate one of mountains on my layout. Got to admit Neuschwantein is fabulous - and massive. I came across this model, no idea of the scale here but it's certainly a fine model of this magnificent castle.

post-1570-0-97640100-1503321604_thumb.jpeg

Looking at the floor plans of the castle (below) I believe there may be scope for a very much cut down version to fit in the space I'll have available on my south spirals mountain.

post-1570-0-15741100-1503321623_thumb.jpeg

I reckon I'd need to considerably shorten the parade ground/open yard area and reduce the main building (top end of this plan) to a single shape, compress the gatehouse and lower forecourt areas, I could just fit a model in the space available. Odd though that I'd be sacrificing the Royal chambers - kind of defeats the object of the castle!

Anyway, food for thought. Much more measuring and planning needed - but I enjoy that part of modelling.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only thing I'd say is most of the Swiss castles I've seen are a tad less fairytale than that ;)

There are some very nice ones that would be much easier to build too. Still who knows what eccentric Baron lived in that valley ;)

• Like 1

Given the compression required in modelling, would a more simple tower possibly be a better option?

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/mouse-tower.html

(Other towers are available, some of the pictures show a small schloss further up the hill behind the tower)

Even with all the space you've got there I suspect it may be hard keeping a big schloss look in proportion with the rest of the layout, as spectacular as they are, it may end up dominating the room.

• RMweb Premium

A few more ...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I've made the trees at the top of the mountain much smaller to give a sense of perspective - need many more of them though ..

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Cheers ... Alan

Smaller trees on top - makes perfect sense - not only because of perspective but because of rough climate. Winds can attack the trees more easily, and also from a certain sea level on you will not have any tree as the climate is to rough. What you need are low creeping mountain pines (Latschen Kiefer) which sometimes form a very small tree but mainly grow in groups and form a kind of a thicket. These kind of trees grow between the real woodland and the completely bare area on the mountain top. Tried to find a photo on the net - I think this one is quite typical. 

Vecchio, ready for the holiday... 

dscf7665_latschen-thumb-1024xauto-65881.

• Like 2

Thanks Vecchio - all info and the photo much appreciated. 

I'll need to spend some time getting my head around the ground cover and trees situation, find a method to construct them economically and relatively quickly.  With such a large layout and doing it single handed I need to get a balance between the time spent on each aspect and getting it to look right, or reasonably so, overall.   My approach is to get some details on straight away then move on with the view to re-visiting areas later to improve them.  

Thanks again.

Cheers ... Alan   

Meine Kleine Schloss

I made this mock up today to see if a small castle could have a home on my layout. The idea is to depict it in a scale smaller than HO but position it in the distance on top of a hill. The mock up is of no particular scale except that the figure in the doorway is a 6ft man in 2mm to the foot scale (N scale).

I would position it at about eye level and with the front facing the viewer so that it's not too important for it to have great depth.

post-1570-0-01718000-1503409449_thumb.jpeg

Some imagination is required as I obviously haven't built the mountain yet and most of the track seen on the spirals will be hidden. It would sit on top of a hill, and far back in the corner of the layout about here on top of the west spirals mountain, overlooking the valley below.

post-1570-0-80275200-1503409580_thumb.jpeg

post-1570-0-77816200-1503409511_thumb.jpeg

I would probably make the rear buildings of the castle a bit taller to depict them being on a higher level than the gatehouse buildings at the front. And maybe a couple more towers. Some might recognise it as very loosely looking like the layout of Neushwanstein Schloss.

Anyway, as ever, any thoughts on this idea would be appreciated.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 6

German typo alert! Should be "mein kleines Schloss" (or meine kleine Burg if it's more fortified and less of a luxury chateau)

Located high and towards the back works for me too. You'd kind of expect people to have built castles like that where it's hard to build a railway, i.e. up the hill with a view, and away from busy travel corridors, but I'm sure there are plenty of counter-examples.

German typo alert! Should be "mein kleines Schloss" (or meine kleine Burg if it's more fortified and less of a luxury chateau)

Located high and towards the back works for me too. You'd kind of expect people to have built castles like that where it's hard to build a railway, i.e. up the hill with a view, and away from busy travel corridors, but I'm sure there are plenty of counter-examples.

Thanks for the typo correction - a long time since I did my basic German colloquial course, 1976 I think!

I know what you mean about being away from railways/travel corridors - although there are many castles overlooking the Rhein of course, with it's railway route along the banks - but probably none on top of a spiral mountain... Lol..

Cheers ... Alan

Edited by Alan Kettlewell
  • Like 1

Wunderland is certainly well worth a visit, full day of excellent viewing at a reasonable cost, it gets alot quieter towards the end of the day..Found it cheaper to fly to Bremen [RyanAir] hotel stay and car rental than fly direct to Hamburg and stay in hotel there..

It 

Wunderland is certainly well worth a visit, full day of excellent viewing at a reasonable cost, it gets alot quieter towards the end of the day..Found it cheaper to fly to Bremen [RyanAir] hotel stay and car rental than fly direct to Hamburg and stay in hotel there..

It is definitely on my bucket list.  You might have seen that Wunderland advertise the likely waiting times on their booking page - I reckon I would need all day in there!  

I'm considering doing it as part of a short holiday by rail using a European InterRail Pass.  The '5 days within a 15 day period' pass is around £210 (plus some reservation supplements eg Eurostar) which can include the journey to and from the international departure point, say Darlington to London Kings X (for the Eurostar out of St Pancras).  I fancy visiting Miniatur Wunderland and then zip down to Salzburg to see the Peter Porsche Museum, maybe time for quick trip into Switzerland and visit the Bernina or Glacier express.

For a short rail adventure like this the InterRail Pass is good value.

Could be later this year ... getting excited already.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 2