Dapol 08

Kickstart

If the green and blue initial releases turn out to be figments of Dapols imaginations then many people may cancel their orders and await future releases.  This may then play out in 2 ways...

1.  Retailers may be forced to drop the prices which will allow the modellers amongst us to snap up cheap ones to customise as we wish, which could result in...

2.  ...the initial releases become rare due to low prices to clear stocks and those that end up unmodified lying in cupboards being put on eBay and the collectors paying top dollar for them in a few years

Win win situations for modellers and collectors.  I might add another to my initial order just in case!

Im going to stick my neck out here but if you're modelling in 7mm and cant pick up a paint brush (whether the livery is wrong or not) then it may be the wrong scale for you at the moment.  Im new to 7mm, having flirted with the odd loco and wagon for the past year or so, this 08 is the driving force of a new layout in 7mm, and I expect to detail/paint/weather as much as I do in 4mm.  But then again, I enjoy personalising my stock.

I still this this 08, painted wrong or not is a blooming bargain.  It looks like an 08 and the wasp stripes (if they were wrong I would probably pass) are right so Im happy.

Interesting points. I agree that as modeller's of 7mm we are 'doers', yet surely having to PATCH paint a RTR model, that could discourage those modellers who are coming up from '00' modelling. Also there is the issue of trade descriptions and a 'fit for purpose', 'defect free' model?.....Bargain? that's all relative surely, many are still in 'austerity mode' and perhaps the thought of taking a paint brush to a 'considered purchase' is not all that appealing?......

And as he typed that response, he was probably thinking "if you don't like it, you could always get a f*cking paint brush out" :onthequiet:

See above. BTW Ive looked and repainting the bonnet/engine compartment tops (GFYE) could be problematic, folk have been very kind about my painting skills and yet doing so to a new model, wastes my time, I buy RTR to save time....Im still mulling the options over, perhaps I shall just build my MMP kit.....

I find that picture quite amazing - of all the hundreds of Gronks that wore standard green/wasp stripes (all of them, possibly, in the '60s??) Dapol had to go and model a non-standard one (maybe the only one??) with a black bonnet!!??!! The mind boggles.  :scratchhead:

I note that at least a black radiator surround is accurate for it though...   :jester:  

I agree, it is quite incredible really and although I am not completely sure (haven't the time/inclination to look back through emails and adverts) but I could swear that Tower/Dapol were just - after lobbying - going to bring out a bog standard GFYE version....have they moved the goal-posts yet again? The other in a similar livery is an 09 (09026) 'Cedric Wares' under privatisation ownership (that loco doesnt have a black Radiator surround)!

Then why was this not conveyed at the Telford show if it had been sorted several weeks ago as suggested. All 'smoke and mirrors' to me in fact there is so much smoke I can't see the mirrors.

Agreed, that was kind of my point, we have been here before with Dapol, it's frustrating and for those who mail order a model, if it turns up in a livery that wasnt as advertised presumably Dapol et al will accept the model back and refund the return P&P as the model is not to spec/as ordered/as advertised?...

AGREED and it's now getting beyond a joke... black bonnet(?) and I thought grey was bad enough! Photo from Dapol does not look black to me or grey, perhaps it's really green and just a trick of the light and grime. More sensible to have gone with BR green in the first place just like Hornby did perhaps with a different loco number if needed.

Yep a black bonnet and cab....not as Dapol's, back of a fag packet colour drawings (which are Dapol's intent in terms of the models to be produced), which show grey in those areas. As I say, perhaps they should have made D3219 a later release special edition....

Its a toy train, calm down

True, in a way, and with North Korea letting off more nukes and developing nuke missile capabilities, austerity, brexit, big business hoodwinking us (ie the likes of Tescos, Sports Direct and BHS et al), zero hour contracts, all this stuff here, on this Thread, is minor. But for some its escapism a hobby and a considered purchase that they trust the likes of Dapol (the Subject Matter Experts) to get right and communicate accordingly and effectively. The retailers havent got a clue what the reality is re all of this stuff and it's laughable!...

Perhaps we should wait until we have the actual production models, the at least any comments will be based on sound knowledge.

Peter

Good idea Pete, yet it doesnt work that way these days with batch production, AND by the time reviews are written and published the models are already delivered to customers....

Yes agreed, however I expect the first time you will see a production model will be when you have opened the box after purchase. I assume you will be allowed to return it if not happy and I'm sure many won't but for those that are not happy then I expect they will have to return at there own cost. Think I will wait and see even if it means I don't get one later due to demand. I'm collector not a modeller and it has to be right in my eyes I was expecting to purchase more than one because of how impressed I was when I saw it at Bristol in its raw state.

Also in response to comment directed at me by '40-something' suggesting I "calm down its only a toy" .... no its not a toy in my eyes but obviously is in yours. Each to their own I suppose, perhaps you should have campaigned for a friction drive version as it's a rather expensive toy in its current state (I'm calm now thank you).

Agreed. Each to their own (despite all of the ribbing) and I make no value judgements, I wonder if Dapol management really care about 'delighting' their customers and 'fulfilling expectations' (apologies for the use of marketing speak)?....

It is a toy, to me it is for sure, and in the grand scheme of things, its not that expensive - take a games console, £300 to buy, 50 quid a game, very poor resale value.   

The definition of a toy is an item that can be used for play, typically a model or miniature replica.  Its a distraction from real life.

As a collector, surely you'll be looking out for anomolies to make it that more desirable?  As a collector, surely you'll be wanting to collect the full range of Dapol 08's, livery errors or not?

Im a modeller and I personally dont care if it comes with a purple roof with green spots, as long as its the right shape and the wasp stripes are right, then at £170 Im a happy bunny. After all, any other 7mm 08 is going to cost me the thick end of £400 and i'll still have to build and paint it, and I know I wont be able to make a good job on the wasp stripes.

At the end of the day, no one is forcing you to buy it, so leave it on the shelf and look elsewhere

That's kinda missing the point though isnt it, surely the model, from SME's (Dapol) should be right for all customers, or as near as damn it? BTW at £169.00 it is still a considered purchase for a good many, as wealth seems to pool with the super-elite and the rest of us are being boiled like Charles Handy's frogs....

If you are determined to get an all over green with grey cab roof 08, for £300 you can have this...

That's not worth £300, but again it is all relative, and Dapol just seem to not be able to communicate effectively (and that includes listening)....

Agree that the correct shape is far more important than correct paint, although it is nice to have both. ;)

I'm more used to the American market, where models are often available undecorated, for the modeller to apply their livery of choice. No doubt if Dapol had included that option here, there'd be someone complain about it. :rolleyes: ;)

I have always admired some of the well made - based on fictitious lines with fictitious companies and liveries - US model railways, very freeing to model such I would have thought, yet more often than not, they look very realistic.

It would be easy to market an unpainted model/loco, the Heljan and Dapol locos are basically 'Airfix' type kits (with some diecast thrown in) with value added, through the manufacturer assembling, painting the models etc.....with the 08 an 'in the white' (unpainted) version could be marketed alongside finished versions and the price reduced accordingly, but I feel that, for Dapol et al, that would give away some costing secrets. I am sure, that by numbering these 08s (at least Heljan listened early on in that regard) Dapol still think that 1000s and 1000s will be sold as everyone collects them like the market for '00', I dont believe that the 7mm market will/does work like that, with only eg. 5000-5500 members in the GOG and those profane outwith (not all of whom will want an 08).

If I ever hear back from Dapol perhaps we will have a definitive answer as to what the liveries will actually be for the production models....we should of course take their statements as made on their forum 'as read', but if two of the big box shifters are saying (whilst pointing to the Telford BFYE and Black locos); 'look at the colour/livery drawings, they are what is being produced' (which contradicts Dapol's Forum comments), what chance do we all stand?

I was thinking, that, regardless of cost, just once, in the world of RTR model railways, common sense, superb customer service and the like would prevail, Im still hopeful, but I have my doubts, true nothing human made is perfect, yet Dapol seem to keep letting, the modellers and collectors of 7mm scale models, down and never talk straight. Then certain manufacturers and pundits shake their heads in sage - insider knowledge wisdom (in a; 'I know better than you all' way) - and write derogatory statements about folk like us, here, on this Thread (whatever our POV) when we dare to question the industry or manufacturers. I have 'insider' knowledge, privileged knowledge which I keep to myself and I have to say as an ex student of business and a modeller the industry of model railways never ceases to amaze me, much of what goes on would not be tolerated elsewhere in terms of consumer rights/business etc....mind you the world at large is heading that way as well....time will tell......

I`m trying my hardest not to comment at the moment till i have 'both' of my loco`s in my hands.

But as the loco in the link is described as;  BUILT AND FINISHED TO A GOOD STANDARD  ???

Then i definetly don`t mind getting the paint out for the odd roof........

Brian.

Perhaps you can Post some photos of your remedial works and/or set up a Thread on how best to do it, so that those less experienced dont make a horlicks of their pride and joy.

Let us hope Dapol listen and come to their senses!

Kindest regards to all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 3

As the JLTRT kit is £100 or so dearer and still needs motor, wheels, gears, building and painting (see link - oh look its got a black cab roof!)

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/JLTRT-BR-Class-08-Shunter-O-gauge-loco-kit-/262611949635?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202351%2526meid%253D8778a4393fc74f7c806882761621d35d%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D4%2526rkt%253D17%2526sd%253D201622457953&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

then the Dapol one is bound to be a hit even if it does contain some slight detail or livery errors. May even tempt me into 'O' and that is saying something. ;-)

Edit: my 1972 Ian Allen combined volume has a photo of ex works D4100 in BFYE with the black radiator surrounds, wasp stripes up the full height, and red(?) bufferbeams, but still with (white) full height bonnet ladders and black rods. Bonnet hood definately blue, cab roof may be blue or black. Just so many variations on these locos which are perceived to be standard, and thats without such detail variations as wood or steel cab doors, end pipework and different bodyside equipment boxes. . .

Good points, we all still, 'pays our money and makes our choice'.

There are lots of variations (due to locale and longevity), yet the basic liveries were fairly common-or-garden....hence a lot of the comments on here...there will have to be some compromise on these RTR models and Dapol are very close to making a very good model.

BTW what region did that loco come from may I ask.

ATVB

CME

Interesting points. I agree that as modeller's of 7mm we are 'doers', yet surely having to PATCH paint a RTR model, that could discourage those modellers who are coming up from '00' modelling. Also there is the issue of trade descriptions and a 'fit for purpose', 'defect free' model?.....Bargain? that's all relative surely, many are still in 'austerity mode' and perhaps the thought of taking a paint brush to a 'considered purchase' is not all that appealing?......

Well said that man, nice to here from someone that cares about which way the hobby should be heading i.e....forwards!!

See above. BTW Ive looked and repainting the bonnet/engine compartment tops (GFYE) could be problematic, folk have been very kind about my painting skills and yet doing so to a new model, wastes my time, I buy RTR to save time....Im still mulling the options over, perhaps I shall just build my MMP kit.....

I agree, it is quite incredible really and although I am not completely sure (haven't the time/inclination to look back through emails and adverts) but I could swear that Tower/Dapol were just - after lobbying - going to bring out a bog standard GFYE version....have they moved the goal-posts yet again? The other in a similar livery is an 09 (09026) 'Cedric Wares' under privatisation ownership (that loco doesnt have a black Radiator surround)!

Agreed, that was kind of my point, we have been here before with Dapol, it's frustrating and for those who mail order a model, if it turns up in a livery that wasnt as advertised presumably Dapol et al will accept the model back and refund the return P&P as the model is not to spec/as ordered/as advertised?...

Yep a black bonnet and cab....not as Dapol's, back of a fag packet colour drawings (which are Dapol's intent in terms of the models to be produced), which show grey in those areas. As I say, perhaps they should have made D3219 a later release special edition....

True, in a way, and with North Korea letting off more nukes and developing nuke missile capabilities, austerity, brexit, big business hoodwinking us (ie the likes of Tescos, Sports Direct and BHS et al), zero hour contracts, all this stuff here, on this Thread, is minor. But for some its escapism a hobby and a considered purchase that they trust the likes of Dapol (the Subject Matter Experts) to get right and communicate accordingly and effectively. The retailers havent got a clue what the reality is re all of this stuff and it's laughable!...

Good idea Pete, yet it doesnt work that way these days with batch production, AND by the time reviews are written and published the models are already delivered to customers....

Agreed. Each to their own (despite all of the ribbing) and I make no value judgements, I wonder if Dapol management really care about 'delighting' their customers and 'fulfilling expectations' (apologies for the use of marketing speak)?....

That's kinda missing the point though isnt it, surely the model, from SME's (Dapol) should be right for all customers, or as near as damn it? BTW at £169.00 it is still a considered purchase for a good many, as wealth seems to pool with the super-elite and the rest of us are being boiled like Charles Handy's frogs....

That's not worth £300, but again it is all relative, and Dapol just seem to not be able to communicate effectively (and that includes listening)....

I have always admired some of the well made - based on fictitious lines with fictitious companies and liveries - US model railways, very freeing to model such I would have thought, yet more often than not, they look very realistic.

It would be easy to market an unpainted model/loco, the Heljan and Dapol locos are basically 'Airfix' type kits (with some diecast thrown in) with value added, through the manufacturer assembling, painting the models etc.....with the 08 an 'in the white' (unpainted) version could be marketed alongside finished versions and the price reduced accordingly, but I feel that, for Dapol et al, that would give away some costing secrets. I am sure, that by numbering these 08s (at least Heljan listened early on in that regard) Dapol still think that 1000s and 1000s will be sold as everyone collects them like the market for '00', I dont believe that the 7mm market will/does work like that, with only eg. 5000-5500 members in the GOG and those profane outwith (not all of whom will want an 08).

If I ever hear back from Dapol perhaps we will have a definitive answer as to what the liveries will actually be for the production models....we should of course take their statements as made on their forum 'as read', but if two of the big box shifters are saying (whilst pointing to the Telford BFYE and Black locos); 'look at the colour/livery drawings, they are what is being produced' (which contradicts Dapol's Forum comments), what chance do we all stand?

I was thinking, that, regardless of cost, just once, in the world of RTR model railways, common sense, superb customer service and the like would prevail, Im still hopeful, but I have my doubts, true nothing human made is perfect, yet Dapol seem to keep letting, the modellers and collectors of 7mm scale models, down and never talk straight. Then certain manufacturers and pundits shake their heads in sage - insider knowledge wisdom (in a; 'I know better than you all' way) - and write derogatory statements about folk like us, here, on this Thread (whatever our POV) when we dare to question the industry or manufacturers. I have 'insider' knowledge, privileged knowledge which I keep to myself and I have to say as an ex student of business and a modeller the industry of model railways never ceases to amaze me, much of what goes on would not be tolerated elsewhere in terms of consumer rights/business etc....mind you the world at large is heading that way as well....time will tell......

Perhaps you can Post some photos of your remedial works and/or set up a Thread on how best to do it, so that those less experienced dont make a horlicks of their pride and joy.

Let us hope Dapol listen and come to their senses!

Kindest regards to all,

CME

Kindest regards to all,

CME

Hi CME,

I certainly will be setting up a thread in the next week or so mainly to do with my forth coming layout build,and as such it will include build`s/modifications and re-paint`s as i go along.

And the 08`s i`m planing on having will be no exception,especially as one is to be re-painted as, 08466 in Railfreight grey & Red.

Brian.

• Like 1

Guest 40-something

Hi CME,

I certainly will be setting up a thread in the next week or so mainly to do with my forth coming layout build,and as such it will include build`s/modifications and re-paint`s as i go along.

And the 08`s i`m planing on having will be no exception,especially as one is to be re-painted as, 08466 in Railfreight grey & Red.

Brian.

I'll be setting up a thread too detaling how I change my 08 in to the class member I wish to represent - no idea what that is yet, but once I scour t'internet for a suitable one which matches the general area/timeframe (Glasgow 1970) then I'll get started.  Ive ordered an unnumbered BFYE example, however it turns up, it will be getting worked on.

Edited by 40-something
  • Like 2

Then why was this not conveyed at the Telford show if it had been sorted several weeks ago as suggested. All 'smoke and mirrors' to me in fact there is so much smoke I can't see the mirrors.

What was said was said I cannot dispute as I was not there and have never spoken to Richard. I merely quoted that some issues were looked at on a recent trip to China that did happen several weeks ago.

Hi CME,

Brian.

Brian 08466 is a later version with pressed bonnet doors/short hinges, so to model that you might have to wait and hope Dapol produce that version like I will be :(

Edited by 101

Read my Posts again - I am not criticising! - I have Posted a lot of praise re the 08, since when I first viewed, handled and 'drove' it, in April 2016!

I have made no 'assumptions' either (I NEVER ASSUME!).....I have obtained information from the horses mouth.....AND guess what, as with all other of Dapol's communications, it's contradictory!

Lets just focus, if I may, for a moment, on your good-self. IIRC you took a similar approach to my comments (re Dapol) in the past, would you therefore remind me and everyone else here, are you the fellow who has an undeclared interest in Dapol (in that you sponsor/commission them to make models for you)?? Please clarify, if I am wrong then I shall apologise in that regard (and remove this aspect of the Post). I have declared myself four square and true herewith and outwith in the past, would you be kind enough to do the same - BTW I thought that you werent going to comment anyway according to the statement made within your OP?

ATVB

CME

Straight to mud slinging then, bully boy tactics.

Yes before I closed N'Tastic Shop I commissioned some wagons of Dapol, also spoke to Oxford Diecast, Base Toys and others. A year ago I was running a Kickstarter for a N Gauge mermaid wagon which would have been done by Dapol as they had already done it in OO so what. I now have no interest other than getting on with a couple of them, deceleration I also know a couple of people at Bachmann, get on with Revolution Trains, know DJM, had dealings with Oxford Diecast does that mean I can't comment on them as well master?

Now many people know who I am too speak to as I have a real name and attend shows etc, perhaps you should declare who you are?

Guest 40-something

Getting a little bit out of hand now, its model railway locomotive.

For me, the Dapol 08 (and Terrier, though Im not a steam man) represent incredible value for money, compared to other 7mm RTR, and even kit, locomotives - even comparing to 4mm these days.  Yes it can, and has, been argued that Dapol should get the livery details right, and in going by what said company has stated on their digest, the production locomotive will be as planned, not as per the sample at Telford.  Prototypical details of both the blue (minus radiator surround confirmation) and green/black roof versions have been shown.  With a class of 1000 examples built over a ten year period 50+ years ago, there are going to be countless combinations of livery (and physical) details.  Will Dapol ever release an 08 that is 100% correct?  Will any mass market manufacturer do this?  Many people will be blissfully unaware.

I can see the argument that in paying £170 for an RTR loco you expect it to be 100% right, but in the 7mm world, you cant yet expect to build up a layout using RTR products, I reckon that day will come, and will be within reach of a lot of existing 4mm/2mm modellers as prices drop.  

Again, I can see the argument that Dapol should be more open with their prospective customers.  They dont have to be, they can tell us everything, they can tell us nothing, the can tell us lies if they want, its their business and if us consumers dont like their way of business or products then we dont buy, simple.  

Im lucky where I can afford to spend £170 on an RTR loco, likewise Im incredibly lucky that I can afford to purchase a Golden Arrow RTR brass loco, but I wont, as I dont want to.  Im a modeller and as such I like to tinker and personalise my models, and I like to build kits.  Which takes me down another avenue, Im new to 7mm, have partly built some kits and owned/sold a couple of locos, but this release has me planning my first 7mm layout.  I know what I want and I know that Im going to have to learn how to build brass wagon kits, thats daunting to me, but as a modeller, I'll give it a go.  If I make a mess, then I'll pay someone to make them for me, or wait until an RTR example is release.  

Im not moaning about this, and I wont moan if I cant build brass kits, because its my choice to go down the 7mm route, no one is forcing me and if I get my fingers burnt, then so be it, its my decision.  Its not life threatening and no one is getting hurt.

So folks, can we get things into context?  This is a miniature replica of a real thing, sold at a very appealing price for what it is, if its not 100% correct then do a bit of modelling and correct it, after all as a 7mm modeller you should be used to finishing things as you want.  If it doesnt appeal to you, dont buy it, leave it on the shelf or return it.

All of us who buy one, have a show and tell with what we do with it, whether its leaving it in its box or changing it beyond all recognition.

PS, I am no Dapol apologist, having checked through my 4mm stock I dont have a single Dapol product of their own design, though I did have some of their 2mm products a few years back and was mostly happy with them

Edited by 40-something
  • Like 1

Brian 08466 is a later version with pressed doors/long hinges, so to model that you might have to wait and hope Dapol produce that version like I will be :(

Thanks for the info 101.

I had`nt really looked that closely at the various differences between members of the class,plus i`m a little out of touch with modeling the British scene,as i was a teenager the last time i built a British layout!.

But having a quick look at what you`ve pointed out,i think i can make the nessesary mod`s without too much pain....

Thanks,

Brian.

Edited by Tove

Thanks for the info 101.

I had`nt really looked that closely at the various differences between members of the class,plus i`m a little out of touch with modeling the British scene,as i was a teenager the last time i built a British layout!.

But having a quick look at what you`ve pointed out,i think i can make the nessesary mod`s without too much pain....

Thanks,

Brian.

Sorry just noticed I typed the wrong thing first time and have edited it now

I should have said 08466 has pressed steel BONNET doors and SHORT hinges - which I think may be harder to modify than you think :(

Sorry just noticed I typed the wrong thing first time and have edited it now

I should have said 08466 has pressed steel BONNET doors and SHORT hinges - which I think may be harder to modify than you think :(

No problem 101.

As it`s a total re-paint,i should still be able to do the necessary mod`s to the door`s;ie take off long hinges and add a thin overlay to produce the stamped apperance of the doors.

For the hinges, i`ll need to take a proper look at some point,but again should`nt be too difficult to do....? :scratchhead:

Brian.

Hi CME,

Brian.

Sounds good, perhaps place a Link on here....

Southern, a little more looking in the same book shows D4100 is listed as a class 09, but photo is pre fitting of waist level MW cables. Another possible variant for Dapol then. ;-)

Thanks for the info, I did wonder if it was a SR loco...

Straight to mud slinging then, bully boy tactics.

Yes before I closed N'Tastic Shop I commissioned some wagons of Dapol, also spoke to Oxford Diecast, Base Toys and others. A year ago I was running a Kickstarter for a N Gauge mermaid wagon which would have been done by Dapol as they had already done it in OO so what. I now have no interest other than getting on with a couple of them, deceleration I also know a couple of people at Bachmann, get on with Revolution Trains, know DJM, had dealings with Oxford Diecast does that mean I can't comment on them as well master?

Now many people know who I am too speak to as I have a real name and attend shows etc, perhaps you should declare who you are?

Mud slinging, bullying tactics? Really?? I dispute that, Ive merely stated the facts, you always seem to dispute facts when it comes to Dapol's numerous errors (because of a previously undeclared interest?).

My only mistake, was to click on your Post (I had forgotten who you were-and what you are like/about). Id like you to apologise for writing defamatory comments about me, its uncalled for.

I have to say, your aserbic comments, brevity of reply etc etc, your MO is the same as before, along with your cohorts. Very disappointing and uncalled for.

I always endeavour to provide a critique as opossed to criticism.

I merely asked that you declared your involvement with Dapol, you didnt when you the last started in this vein, several months back, so Im glad to see that you have now.

I have declared myself;-no business or financial interests in the companies mentioned in this Thread.....you hadnt until your most recent Post, therefore your views were - or could be seen to be - biased in favour of Dapol and/or your need to sell their, by and large, inaccurate products (as far as Dapol's 7mm products were concerned up until relatively recent times).

By which name do you wish to be known? Because, like me you use a forum name, as many of us do-which is wise and acceptable on the internet.

Me? Im fairly well known, but dont wish to be stalked by those lacking emotional intelligence, honesty and unbiased, undeclared POVs....

In all sincerity; have a happy retirement.....meditation or yoga is highly recommended as it helps one to see the bigger picture and avoid tunnel vision....also to avoid sweating the small stuff, as we are all, only, to a lesser of greater degree, 'playing trains'.

• Like 1

OK; if we can head back toward the product please.

Agreed Andy, thank you.

My sincere hope - as worse happens at sea - is that for everyone's sake, including Dapol's, when the models arrive in people's homes, via carrier and postie, that Dapol have gotten these livery errors rectified. It would be nice to think that Dapol communicate this effectively before hand and brief its retailers accordingly too-so that they are ALL are singing from the same hymn sheet (apologies for mgmt. speak) and punters know which model they will be getting AND that the livery is correct. The 08 should be a cracking model, I hope its not marred for a 'hapeth of tar' though.

If I hear back from Dapol, I shall Post their reply. Still, to date I have yet to hear from them (the weekend though TBF), also, I have only found one 08 in GFYE with black atop (apart from the much later privatisation copy/tribute namer)......According to my photographic research, that makes, apart from the black radiator surrounds (which are correct for the 'proposed' Dapol GFYE 08 with black roof and bonnet/engine room top) Dapol's BFYE version the nearest to an accurate livery. I hope that helps in terms of the current repository of knowledge. I also hope that my contributions and sifting through photos and books have helped clarify the livery errors to date.....not the end of the world, true, but frustrating nevertheless.

Kind regards to all,

CME.

Christ on a bike. This thread makes the previous Brexit shenanigans look like a walk in the park!

I know!

Ultimately people are going to pay their money and take their choice... for £170 it's a bargain. Get a paintbrush out if you want or choose not to. Whatever happens in the next couple of months I've no doubt there will be massive demand and lots of happy O gauge modellers out there and a lot of new ones encouraged into the scale by this product and, when it comes down to it, that can only be a positive!

I understand that errors frustrate some but a bit of perspective would be good too. It seems a remarkably good value model and most importantly it looks like an 08 to my uneducated eye, 98% might be right, deal with the 2% if you want! ;)

Edited by south_tyne

It looks as if Dapol were working from an actual prototype from the Photo on their forum

I suppose it is very difficult for them to win on this as if they had said "we are producing a model of this loco at this timeframe" They would have had an avalanche of requests to do different loco's instead

They would also have had some complaints as to "why pick this loco?"

The people for whom it was good would have said nothing

I think you have to look at what is being produced and see how YOU the modeller can make it work

This is my first foray into O gauge Railway modelling and I am trying to pick a timeframe and area that is prototypical,but a fictitious location as I do not have the space.

I played trains as a youngster and I enjoy the research as I get older to try to get it right something I never did when I was younger and it is free

I have had to make a change to the 08 I was going to model as I had not realised the different toolbox arrangements, but I now have a prototype that will work with the post tops blue model.The only issues are roof colour and Arrows of indecision locations, 2 things I think even I can deal with.

It seems that there will be different variations in the future some which may suit me better, but the boy still left in me won't let me wait which is still part of the fun

It seems that there will be different variations in the future some which may suit me better, but the boy still left in me won't let me wait which is still part of the fun

Could`nt have put it better myself....... :good:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Talking of variations, the following may help in deciding which model is appropriate for your choice of prototype:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6622-class-08-09-variations/

Edited by Pannier Tank

Emperor's new clothes?

So it's okay to 'ef' n blind and take the lord's name in vein (religious offence), criticise individuals, yet woe betide anyone who provides an accurate critique of a pile of plastic, diecast, paint and wire? Others with a wealth of tacit knowledge must be laughing out aloud about it all. <roles eyes, sighs and shakes head>

I viewed one of the JLTRT 08s today, BFYE, yes cab windows were slightly low, but it seemed to carry the weight and stance of an 08, very nicely executed and easy to build by all accounts-cracking and all versions caterd for. Also viewed two scratch-aid kit built 08s in guage 3 and interesting comparison to say the least. All were very nice garden rly models. The JLTRT 08 is on a par with the MMP version and vice versa, both having lots of loco specific detail, both having their strengths.

Ive started shaking the green and/or yellow rattle cans in anticipation, of Dapol not listening to customers' needs, wants, desires, common sense, whichever site such concerns are Posted on....as so many seem keen to just accept such wholemeal (to run with their Dapol POWs no doubt LOL!). £169.00, may just be worth a full repaint if push comes to shove (especially as we are all being conditioned to be grateful to manufacturers when they make and repeat errors, in a have what you are given kinda way). Still living in hope common sense prevails though....the eternal optimist? Yeah something like that.....

• Like 1