Dapol 08

Kickstart

I saw the Dapol 08s today at Telford Guildex. To my eyes the BR Blue looks a little dark, but maybe most real 08s were well faded by the time I saw them.

Still looks a great model; the wasp stripes were very crisp. They were in cases so didn't get to see one actually running.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Guys,

Had a long chat with Dapol about the 08s, the delays, DCC fitment and the future plans for developing the '08' line.  Rather than put stuff all over the place, i've written up a report on Telford which is at http://www.railblogs.co.uk/telford16 - if you just specifically want the Dapol stuff its http://railblogs.co.uk/telford16/#Dapol.

October is looking very good!

Rich

• Like 2

Just a couple of observations.....

On the BR Blue 08202 TOPS version at Telford I was surprised on the front to see the surrounds to the radiator painted black effectively creating an oblong black box which doesn't look too good to me. As far as I have ever seen they were just all yellow there. I was also surprised to see the cab roof is black too - the standard colour was blue I believe and not black.

Seems a shame after waiting so long for some important bits to be painted the incorrect colour.....re painting the cab roof would of course be easy but painting the black on the front to yellow could be very tricky with masking etc!!!..............

• RMweb Premium

The surrounds are disappointing in black, especially looking at the Tower Models site with the livery diagrams - they clearly show yellow surrounds on the BR Blue units, black surrounds on the wasp stripe green. Hopefully it's just a display sample mix up or it's being fixed at the factory before production.

Livery digram on the Dapol site -> https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/filedata/fetch?photoid=397

• Like 1

The surrounds are disappointing in black, especially looking at the Tower Models site with the livery diagrams - they clearly show yellow surrounds on the BR Blue units, black surrounds on the wasp stripe green. Hopefully it's just a display sample mix up or it's being fixed at the factory before production.

Livery digram on the Dapol site -> https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/filedata/fetch?photoid=397

It is the final version I understand......

I mentioned the error to Richard Webster and he said 'well you can always get a paintbrush out'!!! - it is a real shame - it just doesn't look right on the BR blue ones for me.

That is crazy if the livery diagrams show it as yellow.

I did see another version on another stall in a different livery and the radiators on the front were missing so maybe it is easily removable to paint yourself??....

I mentioned the error to Richard Webster and he said 'well you can always get a paintbrush out'!!! - it is a real shame - it just doesn't look right on the BR blue ones for me.

I did see another version on another stall in a different livery and the radiators on the front were missing so maybe it is easily removable to paint yourself??....

Dapol should be made aware of this by Richard not just give you the "brush-off", which suggests they won't be making any changes even if they got it wrong. Why should you dimantle and paint it yourself it should be right in he first place. Dapol if you are listening PLEASE NOTE!!!! I had a similar comment when I asked at the initial unveiling of the sample if the lifting brackets on the roof were going to be added in final production version like Hornby had modeled on their version .... short answer was "No" and I left the show feeling that he was not interested in modelers feedback or suggestions.

Guest Q663368

Dapol should be made aware of this by Richard not just give you the "brush-off", which suggests they won't be making any changes even if they got it wrong. Why should you dimantle and paint it yourself it should be right in he first place. Dapol if you are listening PLEASE NOTE!!!! I had a similar comment when I asked at the initial unveiling of the sample if the lifting brackets on the roof were going to be added in final production version like Hornby had modeled on their version .... short answer was "No" and I left the show feeling that he was not interested in modelers feedback or suggestions.

I have said this before, the only way to get there attention is not to buy it. In this day and age there is no excuse for getting it wrong.

This applies to all manufactures. To them it's just a widget.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Richard Webster... said 'well you can always get a paintbrush out'...

Yes, indeed I could, but I can also always decline to get my credit card out.

I've long thought that I'd like to make up a selection of Parkside O gauge wagon kits, just for the size of them, having enjoyed making many of their OO offerings. The possibility of an 08 obviously makes that yard of track with static wagons idea move to an easy and attractive layout proposition, and at £170 or thereabouts I have been very tempted. All that has held me back is that I have more than enough ideas and stock (rolling and otherwise) for OO layouts to keep me going for years and I question if I should branch out into O with so much already sitting on shelves and in boxes. Until the most recent photos appeared I'd have said that I was more than likely to fall for the charms of the 08. But the photo pretty much put me off (although I hoped it wasn't a production model), and Richard's comment means I walk away.

Of course I could paint it, I've done several OO 08s over the years, carefully keeping the paint clear of the factory applied wasp stripes, and perhaps it is a silly thing which I should just correct, but I'm sure I'm not the only OO modeller who has been on the verge of trying O with a Dapol 08. I wish Dapol well, so that those who do choose O have a good range of models to pick from, but I doubt that I'm the only one who came so near to a purchase, yet will now remain so far away.

• Like 1

I too had thought I'd probably buy a Blue 08 from Dapol when they came out but do I really want to start with a partial repaint of the front end as it stands out as wrong to me?. Funnily enough there was a 'professionally' painted Brassworks 08 on the stall next to Lionheart Trains from where Dapol's 08202 was running today and I just thought the Brassworks one seemed to capture the shape better at the front of the bonnet. I have a lovely Brassworks one already weathered up so I think I'll stick with that although you do obviously have to generally finish it off with glazing etc. 

I'm sure Dapol will sell loads of 08's but I was disappointed with the response I was provided with today in truth, maybe it had been a long show?. If the error had been accepted, even if it was too late (which it sounds like it is) then I could have gone along with that but being told to get a paintbrush out is wrong in my eyes.

Anyway that is what I was told - hopefully for all budding purchasers of Blue ones - the main batch will somehow be OK - but I got the impression that wasn't the case as it stands.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the above comments regarding ' livery mistakes' if that is the case. For those of you who has access / knowledge of the class did 08202 at some stage carry that livery at some stage of it's life??? 

I personally am waiting for the green one some maybe it will be correct for which ever subject is modelled if not I'm sure some weathering will rectify the problem and considering the price I'm more than happy to sort it myself as more than likely I will be renumbering mine loco anyway. 

I wonder if Tower Models might  say something regarding this 'error' and see if their  import might have some effect at Dapol as I'm very surprised to hear Richard Webster's response when one considers his eye for detail !!!

• Like 1

Is the black roof and rather odd shade of blue possibly down to using TRAINSIM as a research tool?

post-17823-0-71902400-1473023477_thumb.jpg

A quick search produces only one black radiator surround amongst a sea of yellow (unless it might be dirt, but more likely painted black):

Edit:  Just noticed the blue buffer beam on same image - that's a bit oddball too, isn't it? A very early application of blue - still has its D number.

http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/diesel;462;08/i-hP57JmJ/A

But despite these glitches, at least it is way more accurate than the Lego version:

post-17823-0-59257400-1473023697.jpg

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 3

I have to agree with the above comments regarding ' livery mistakes' if that is the case. For those of you who has access / knowledge of the class did 08202 at some stage carry that livery at some stage of it's life??? 

I personally am waiting for the green one some maybe it will be correct for which ever subject is modelled if not I'm sure some weathering will rectify the problem and considering the price I'm more than happy to sort it myself as more than likely I will be renumbering mine loco anyway. 

I wonder if Tower Models might  say something regarding this 'error' and see if their  import might have some effect at Dapol as I'm very surprised to hear Richard Webster's response when one considers his eye for detail !!!

Dont disagree and it would be nice to think Tower would say something but think it's too late in the day and if they did it is likely to impact sales income which almost a reality like the models themselves.

• RMweb Gold

What was the convention (if any) on red/yellow coupling rods?

I maybe wrong, but if I recall correctly, the rods were red in the early days (i.e. green liveries) and then when BR blue came in, some stayed red. But after a while, it was adopted to match the blue livery with yellow rods.  Some 08s went so long between repaints however, the red did survive a long time - then in the 1980s when depots started adding their own embellishments, some (Edge Hill springs to mind, but I could be wrong) adopted red rods for their own 08s.    Red was not uncommon in 1980s, but yellow was seen on far more examples. Think some of the works also did their own things at some time!

Rich

Guest 40-something

A little disappointing re the livery errors and lack of lifting rings, but I won't be cancelling my order, where else can I get an rtr 7mm 08 for £170?

As I'll be personalising mine with my chosen running number and giving it a good weathering, any touch ups and additions will blend in just fine, I am a modeller after all

• Like 1

You shouldn't have to "get the paintbrush out" on a £200 model you've been waiting the best part of five years for !

I'm glad I cancelled my order now, they just don't look right to me.

Edited by Great Western

Who is this Richard Webster chap I've never heard of him, sorry for my ignorance. I might just be altering my 08 order!

Seriously?

From the Lionheart Trains website:

Lionheart trains was formed by Richard Webster.

Richard has been involved with model railway design and production engineering for more than 40 years, both here in England and abroad in China and America where he developed groundbreaking products with major manufacturers.

He started by joining his late Father in the family business of 'RATIO' where he learnt toolmaking and operating injection moulding machinery and later provided R & D for all new items, including visiting the Severn Valley Railway measuring and photographing Highley signal box, the first of many structure kits.

During the early 80's he produced several '0' gauge plastic wagon kits with very fine details of the Great Western Railway under the label 'WEBSTERS' which were later passed on to 'PECO' and still marketed by them.

He ran the Kader model train factory in Mainland China for five years producing Bachmann products. He designed the 1:20.3 'G' scale Shay and the following year the 'HO' Spectrum 2-8-0 locomotive which both won the manufacturers prize of 'Best Product Of The Year' for 1997 and 1998. The Bachmann America Spectrum 2-8-0 with its new design of chassis and extensive add-on fine detailing set a new standard which heralded the introduction of the Blue Riband range to the British '00' marketplace. He also totally redesigned a series of narrow gauge items for the American market to a scale of 1:48 designated ON30.

Richard was VP of engineering for Americas oldest model train company, Lionel that celebrated 100 years during his tenure. He designed and introduced a totally new track system, which was regarded as the best innovative product for ten years. He worked closely with Neil Young who when not playing his guitar was the genius behind Lionel's electronic control and sound system.

• Like 1