The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Aircraft identification sought

Wherry Lines

Whilst spending the afternoon preparing for another week of school, my maths planning was interupted by a loud, deep throb of a twin engined aircraft. I rushed to the windows to see what looked like a ww2 plane flying over.

I've not idea what it was, but it was a similar design to the Avro Manchester or the North American B25, featuring twin rudder tail.

Anyone have any idea what the aircraft was and why is was over east Suffolk?

• RMweb Premium

I agree that it was probably a B25 Mitchell because of the twin fins.

We had a Dakota in WW2 markings over our house yesterday at about 500 feet but I didn't have time to take a pic.

I thought about a B25, but are there any flying in the UK? There are/were two in the US.

I know it is not a Manchester, as none survive, but it was a similar style. I could not see any markings due to the sun, but it appeared to be in a drab green or cam.

There's a B-25 supposed to be at an event in Leicestershire today:

http://www.thevictoryshow.co.uk/index.php/event-diary/aircraft/b-25-mitchell-bomber

Del has most likely nailed it.

Here's the full list of a/c expected at the event this weekend and the days they were due to appear..

http://www.thevictoryshow.co.uk/index.php/event-diary/aircraft

I thought about a B25, but are there any flying in the UK? There are/were two in the US.

Over 40 examples listed as in airworthy condition in the USA, plus one in Canada.

Two flying in Europe (Netherlands and Austria).

If it was over east Suffolk, it might have been the Dutch one flying to or from the airshow.

b25-4429507-a.jpg

Once again, the collective knowledge of rmweb surprises me.

Having looked at images, it must've been a B25. It was flying in the right direction for a flight to the Netherlands from Leicestershire.

Thanks for the help. It was bugging me!

It was circling low around Spanhoe Aerodrome to the east of Corby around 10.30 yesterday, I watched it for a few minutes before it disappeared out of site to the East but I'd no idea what it was.

It looked as though it might have just taken off and as Spanhoe and nearby Deenethorpe are still operational fields, it could have been using one as as a staging post if it had flown in from Holland.

Hi All,

Nothing to do with this particular sighting (sorry) but this weekend just gone I saw something that I couldn't identify and don't know where to find any info so rather than start a new topic, it was;

Twin (prop) engined, both set high in relation to body or wing and close together.

WWII in appearance,

Possibly with American markings.

Flying due North or NNW between Manchester & Liverpool (over Leigh/Lowton area) c.12.30Hrs Sunday. Quite low, maybe less than 1000ft?

At first I thought it was a seaplane but then I was not sure, sorry to be vaugue but I only saw it for a moment, against a bright sky too!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

That description again matches a B25 as linked in my last post and as it was flying to Leicester not far away either relatively. They often fly past several events on one flight to maximise income.

The wings are high in the centre of the body, Google 'B25 Mitchell' to see various images that might help you identify if it's the one you saw.

Not  a  WW2  Aircraft  but  a  twin  with  a  twin  tale  is  the  Boeing  V22  Osprey

This  is  a  Tilt  Rotor  and  the  size  of  the  rotors/props  are  very  distinctive  but  at  a distance  in  normal  flight  mode  it  could  appear  as  a  normal aircraft.  (Also  very  noisy,  sounds  a  bit  like  a  Chinook)

Some are  based  at  Mildenhall,  Suffolk  and  two  are  currently  involved  with  a  TA  exercise  on  the  Isle  of  Wight  hence  may  be  seen  in  transit.

Pete

Thanks Paul,

I've got to admit that now, it may just as well have been a B25 - as I can scarcely tell the difference between that and a 'Manchester' or even a 'Catalina' - in comparison to what I remember seeing.

Not much of a witness I'm afraid.

John.

Every chance it was a Catalina, there was one flying at the Predtwick Air Show on Sunday. Could have been in the Lancashire area in transit

• RMweb Premium

Guys: I have a boxful of recognition slides that was in my father's stuff.  One of our club scanned them and is tidying them up. I plan to put the set in a museum.

That was the only slide in the subset I have that came close to the description.

• RMweb Gold

We weren't having a dig about the slide :) and that's an interesting story too thanks. There's all sorts of stuff still being restored so I had to check on the airworthy status just in case one had been done. I'm interested and fairly regularly get some of the mags but can't claim to be bang up to date on what's restored or many of the less well known types ;)

Noticed on the bbc that a twin seat Spirfire had a forced landing yesterday after engine failure. Fortunately the pilot ok and although pretty extensive damage to the Spit I guess it's eventually restorable again seeing what's been done before.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/tenterden/news/spitfire-crash-lands-in-field-42807/

The reason why the Bf110* slide/post was probably marked as 'funny' was that the thread had already pretty well established that the aircraft of the OP was a B-25 Mitchell. If the slide had been posted before that it would've been a fair guess, notwithstanding the fact none are flying these days (& were a notable omission from the film 'Battle of Britain - along with many other Luftwaffe types!!)

* Nerd alert; the 110 was built by Messerschmitt, but was designated "Bf", not "Me" 110. I would need to Google it to find out why, though.

Archived