Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 45125 said:

The Hull Plymouth train would carry various white fish from the North Atlantic, the White Sea. This would be conveyed to various fish merchants along the route. Some fish merchants would have a wagon purely with their purchase in it. Not only would there be wagons foe along the route but others for attachment to services that fed other places, ie Fishguard, Whitland and the south coast. By the time it reached Plymouth it would be down to a few vans including some from Grimsby etc which would attached at possibly Banbury orLeicester.

Al Taylor

Evening Al I take it the train must have stopped running not long after that picture,  I'm also assuming the 37 was swapped for a hydraulic somewhere on route 

• Informative/Useful 1

Evening 

The Dub Dee on J01 Pilot is on the slow line unable to access the Quarry as you could only get into the Quarry by using the Fast Line. Hessle Station worked to Ferriby Station on the slow and when switched into Block Hessle Quarry on all other lines. Also the the train is made up of Press Flow wagons and they could not be loaded at Hessle Quarry. J01 Pilot is going to Melton Lane Sidings to be loaded with Cement and would be sent in a block to train from the sidings. 

Thanks, 

8K77

• Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, russ p said:

Evening Al I take it the train must have stopped running not long after that picture,  I'm also assuming the 37 was swapped for a hydraulic somewhere on route 

The type3s usually worked through to Leicester, but were not unknown at Banbury. Have never found any info on what worked it down the west.

Al Taylor

• Informative/Useful 2

Firstly many thanks to you all for your postings as i really enjoy looking at this topic and find it very informative .

there used to be a good forum on hull daily mail (i think?) about old hull in general street scenes /docks//railway/etc

but it closed down does anybody know of a good replacement or where those members went too !!

remember seeing some good photos of hawthorne ave level crossing in the 1960's and haltemprice street crossing (the old hull to cottingham line) and chalk lane yard 

many thanks all 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, heavymetalwagons said:

Firstly many thanks to you all for your postings as i really enjoy looking at this topic and find it very informative .

there used to be a good forum on hull daily mail (i think?) about old hull in general street scenes /docks//railway/etc

but it closed down does anybody know of a good replacement or where those members went too !!

remember seeing some good photos of hawthorne ave level crossing in the 1960's and haltemprice street crossing (the old hull to cottingham line) and chalk lane yard 

many thanks all 

Thr HDM site closed ten or more years ago.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 45125 said:

The Hull Plymouth train would carry various white fish from the North Atlantic, the White Sea. This would be conveyed to various fish merchants along the route. Some fish merchants would have a wagon purely with their purchase in it. Not only would there be wagons foe along the route but others for attachment to services that fed other places, ie Fishguard, Whitland and the south coast. By the time it reached Plymouth it would be down to a few vans including some from Grimsby etc which would attached at possibly Banbury orLeicester.

Al Taylor

Very true.  The fish mongers in Scunthorpe (not sure if it was one or several) used to have a wagon shunted into the old loading dock at the Doncaster end of the station (behind what is now the 'see it from space' footbridge, and that has been covered with tarmac for parking) after which they could come and collect their goods.  The 0-8-0T yard pilots used to shunt it over, although I am not sure if that arrived from Grimsby, Hull or further afield.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 45125 said:

Al Taylor

On the WR its first stop was Oxford for loco purposes (which might mean just a crew change and might also involve a traffic stop) and its first clearly traffic stop was at Marston Sidings where it detached traffic to connect into the 16 30 Grimsby - Whitland Milk Empties and Fish (which did call at Banbury but stopped on the Through Line at Oxford and changed engines at Marston Sidings in some years) and it quite likely also attached traffic from the Grimsby.    

Next stop for 3V05 after Marston Sidings was Bristol TM (via Badminton, then Taunton.  The only potential connection off 3V05 at Oxford was to Bletchley.  And there are no other Class 3 trains shown at Marston anywhere near that time of day but there might possibly have been a local pilot trip to Swindon that wouldn't have been shown in the WTT.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Mick, for posting those diagrams of the layout at Hessle Quarry, they are most informative. 
It’s interesting to find out more about the Plymouth fish train, which unfortunately, would cease when fish was no longer conveyed by train.

This evening, we have another two photo’s by John Turner, on Flickr, of Ivatt, 4MT, 43077, as it heads an empty stock train to Brough, at Hessle, where it will run round its train and form the Fridays Only 12:15 (approx) Brough to Hull service for workers at the nearby aircraft factory, on the 22nd November, 1963.

22/11/1963 - Hessle, East Riding of Yorkshire.

And this photo’, on the same date, shows WD, Austerity, 90272, running non-stop through Hessle station with a Hull bound, Class F, unfitted express freight, with two, presumably empty, tank wagons at the front.

22/11/1963 - Hessle, East Riding of Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

I am sure a better expert than me can confirm that as they are black tanks (not silver) as are the one’s in an earlier photo from a day or so back behind a B1 they didn’t need the barrier wagons. The silver one’s did carry the dangerous flammable liquids therefore did require barrier wagons. If they were vac fitted they would be at the loco end of the train to form part of the vacuum brake  fitted head.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, john new said:

I am sure a better expert than me can confirm that as they are black tanks (not silver) as are the one’s in an earlier photo from a day or so back behind a B1 they didn’t need the barrier wagons. The silver one’s did carry the dangerous flammable liquids therefore did require barrier wagons. If they were vac fitted they would be at the loco end of the train to form part of the vacuum brake  fitted head.

Difficult to say because of the angle of the light.  The underframes don't look to be very dark but that too might be down to the light and in any case are they tanks for petroleum traffic?  But whatever I doubt that they were incorrectly marshalled unless someone was being unusually gung=ho about life, the universe, and not much else.

(Empty tank cars were of course permitted to be moved without barrier wagons but discharged tank cars had to be treated in the same way as loaded tanks.)

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 07/01/2019 at 16:11, tigerburnie said:

Several steam hauled fish trains travelled on the Great Central,I recall the evening trains were hauled to Leicester, the first the Hull to Plymouth would change engines and crew at Leicester, in the summer often a Western region Hall or Grange would take this train on to Banbury. Half an hour later another, the Grimsby to Whitland almost always Britannia hauled, would change crews only at Leicester. Colin Walkers "Mainline Lament" shows photographs of these trains.

Without wishing to 'harp on' about the fish workings, a bit of search around rmWeb revealed the above quote from another 'Fish Train' topic back in early 2019, that I have included here as a bit more reference to the earlier image.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, many thanks to The Staionmaster, for the information about those tank wagons, it is most informative.  

Now, this evening, with thanks again to John Turner, on Flickr, we see a Flying Pig, Ivatt, class 4MT, 43078, on a down goods train heading towards Hull Docks on the H&BR high level line near to Chanterlands Avenue, and the date is the 1st February, 1964. 

01/02/1964 - near Chanterlands Avenue, Hull.

And, with the same credit, we see the same Flying Pig, 43078, with a train of empty mineral wagons, having just crossed Bridge No 33, and the Scarborough branch, on the H&BR high level route, and is heading SSW towards Spring Bank West, on the 25th July, 1963.

25/07/1963 - Spring Bank West, Hull.

Best regards,

Rob.

You just have to love a pig. Like a comfy pair of old slippers, rough around the edges but does the job wonderfully

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Again, with thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see B1, 61256, as it passes Hessle Gas Works with an up class C freight train, in circa 1964.

c.1964 - Hessle Haven, East Riding of Yorkshire.

And now, with the same credit, we look on as B1, 61080,  with a BR 20T, Good Brake Van, B953650, built at Faverdale, 1957, to Diagram 1/506, Lot 3012), approaches Hessle station from the east, likely working engine and van for Capper Pass or the Cement Works (or possibly both), on the 25th June, 1963.

01/02/1963 - Hessle, East Riding of Yorkshire.

And now for something completely different, as they would say on Blue Peter. With the same credit, we see Thomas Smith & Sons of Rodley, Leeds, a 5T, 4-wheel, rail-mounted steam powered, self-propelled crane. Works number is 20054, and it was built in 1952, with, left to right, an LNER 13T, 3-plank goods wagon, E142555, and an LNER, 13T, flat wagon, E232599, at Albert Dock, Hull, in circa May, 1964.

05/1964 - Albert Dock, Hull, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

Third vehicle behind the B1 is a container loaded inside a wooden open. Interesting combo.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, john new said:

Third vehicle behind the B1 is a container loaded inside a wooden open. Interesting combo.

Not easy to reproduce in model form, with over-thick wagon sides and overscale container detail!

CJI.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1