Model Rail 214 October 2015

dibber25

post-1062-0-15536700-1442938822_thumb.jpg

Issue published 24 September 2015

Ultimate Realism - Art of Modelmaking issue. Be inspired!

Contents:

News - 63ft DMUs from Bachmann

Reviews - Hornby Crosti 9F

Heljan Metropolitan Railway Bo-Bo electric

Inspiration:

The ART of MODELLING

A glimpse or two of the finest modelmaking in the World, from Downes, Dent and Nevard, to Roye England, Dave Shakespeare and some names you may never have heard, all with stunning images of their work. 

Discover the Taste of Jersey - Layout plans from Paul A Lunn

Layouts

Braysdown & Writhlington, a Somerset & Dorset setting in BR times - 'EM'

Shelfie - Paul Marshall-Potter's latest exercise - 'OO' 

Eddington Yard - modern image - 'OO'

Features:

Weird sisters - BR Crosti 9Fs and Met electrics, the prototype notes for the month's new review models.

Laying the Lines ( George Dent and Dave Lowery)

Dave's Modelling Diary

Workbench:

The Art of George Dent's Modelling - Hints, tips and advice for a great layout.

Pelle Soeborg's Art of Modelling. One of the World's greatest modellers tells how he does it.

Make a Great Waterfall.

Regulars:

Exhibition Diary, Backscene

Very good issue again. The modelling realism is amazing. Nice to see pictures of what can be done with no Photoshopping.

I particularly liked Birmingham New Street and Eddington Yard.

For me this issue (and last month's features on modelling weeds!) is right on cue as I started landscaping my own layout just last week.

Inspiration indeed - well done Model Rail.

• RMweb Gold

I think the best thing about this issue is chris nevards 'profile picture' on his layout feature, looks like a demented bill bayley!

don't like the 'advice hub' thing and hoped its not going to be a regular feature but then i relaised it was one of those 'advertising features' so with any luck it wont be

• RMweb Premium

I was in Morrisons and saw new edition.i thought why not it'll give me a nights reading and stuck it in the trolley . It must be a supermarket thing. Had it have been WH Smiths I would have browsed it first. I was taken by the mineral wagon on the cover which George Dent was going to explain how I could do it. If you look in the magazine you'll find out that that will be explained next month!!!. Ok fair enough but why highlight it on the cover? A bit misleading I would suggest. Over all to me this was a typical Modelrail edition . Too many reviews , or still least too many pages allocated to it. Two layouts included . Lots of self promotion , double page on subscriptions, more pages on limited editions, The S&DR layout (very nice)has a fair number of pages but most of these are large pictures. I think if you compare this with Layout of they Month in the Railway Modeller you will find there's not as much reading. Sorry , nice pictures but the art thing didn't get me at all , looked like a page filler. And I was buying a mag on model railways , so how do warships get in there? Great if you want to create North Atlantic waves.

I am not a Modelrail fan but this edition just confirmed my opinions . Only if there is something of specific interest in the future and only then after I've browsed it, will I buy it. I though Jason from Rapido gave us a manufacturers view, not in this issue. I wished I'd bought BRM instead as their preserved railway theme would have been of more interest.

I agree, all the self promotion, subscription, advertorial and own limited editions pages content is now a little tiresome, repetitive and excessive - but I guess it's how they drum up business these days.

However, I did find the realism/artistic feature rather entertaining and inspirational, although throughout the magazine there was a distinct lack of N or even 2mm content to provide scale/gauge balance - surely a layout like Copenhagen Fields is seminal enough to get included in such a feature?

Also in response to the track laying workbench feature the comments about "N gauge track is tricky to join as the rails are partially embedded in the sleepers" is a little misleading as that only applies to Peco code 55 track. Other Peco ranges and other brands of N gauge track don't have embedded rails. And Peco produce and supply special sleepers to slip under the gap mentioned - there is no need to specially cut pairs of sleepers to fit. 

G.

I was in Morrisons and saw new edition.i thought why not it'll give me a nights reading and stuck it in the trolley . It must be a supermarket thing. Had it have been WH Smiths I would have browsed it first. I was taken by the mineral wagon on the cover which George Dent was going to explain how I could do it. If you look in the magazine you'll find out that that will be explained next month!!!. Ok fair enough but why highlight it on the cover? A bit misleading I would suggest. Over all to me this was a typical Modelrail edition . Too many reviews , or still least too many pages allocated to it. Two layouts included . Lots of self promotion , double page on subscriptions, more pages on limited editions, The S&DR layout (very nice)has a fair number of pages but most of these are large pictures. I think if you compare this with Layout of they Month in the Railway Modeller you will find there's not as much reading. Sorry , nice pictures but the art thing didn't get me at all , looked like a page filler. And I was buying a mag on model railways , so how do warships get in there? Great if you want to create North Atlantic waves.

I am not a Modelrail fan but this edition just confirmed my opinions . Only if there is something of specific interest in the future and only then after I've browsed it, will I buy it. I though Jason from Rapido gave us a manufacturers view, not in this issue. I wished I'd bought BRM instead as their preserved railway theme would have been of more interest.

Hi Legend, Sorry to hear you're not a Model Rail fan.  Whilst it's never going to be possible to please all of the people all of the time I always try to encourage an inclusive approach in my layout designs.  Now I'm clear on what you don't like but perhaps you could tell me what you'd like to see in so far as my speciality is concerned.  I can't promise you'll get what you want, as much as already been agreed for the next few months in Model Rail, but if your needs fit into into some future article then I'm sure we'll try our best to accommodate something of interest.  I'll be at the Peterborough show, with my layout design clinic, if you want to have a chat. Regards Paul

Thanks Chris, the review done to your and Model Rail's standard should be well worth waiting for. I think the Dapol Terrier is a game changer for O gauge, certainly responsible for my decision to change scale from OO. 

Regards

Doug

Detail-wise, I'm sure there are errors and compromises as there are on every RTR model. However, it looks like a 'Terrier', runs well and is very keenly priced - and the print and finish is top-notch. Personally, I can't wait for the 'A1X' version - might just convert it into the KESR malachite example if I can bring myself to paint over Dapol's paint and printing.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I know its a model railway magazine but I thought that the KG V battleship model was beautiful and the way the seas were modelled outstanding. The KG V class were known for being very wet ships fwd so to represent the ship taking water over the bow in model form was inspired. I loved the PT boat diorama too. For trains, a solid issue, always worth reading, I liked the balanced review of the Hornby Crosti 9F.

• RMweb Premium

I'd liked to have seen more of the Birmingham New Street layout ... it looked absolutely amazing!!!

It'd be nice to get something other than a Southern/Great Western steam branch line!!

It used to feature here on RMweb until a year or two back, then someone upset the builder of the layout and he went off in a huff. The blog might still be here.

It used to feature here on RMweb until a year or two back, then someone upset the builder of the layout and he went off in a huff. The blog might still be here.

yeah its a layout I've seen snippets of or the odd photo, but it just looks jaw-dropping!! Very inspiring to see what that kind of dedication can achieve

Archived