Identities of these Cars in 1964

Rail-Online

• RMweb Premium

Left to right '48-'53 Ford Anglia, Standard 8 and Triumph Herald. The car behind the Herald is a Humber Hawk or Snipe and the lorry is a Thames Trader. You can tell that the Ford is an Anglia, not a Popular by the size of the headlamps and the Standard is an 8 not a 10 as it doesn't have a boot lid.

EDIT The car behind the Herald is a Vauxhall Victor FB.

Is the one parked on the wrong side of the road a Vauxhall Victor? At first I thought part of the wall was a wing extension.... Agree on A35 and Herald.

Best, Pete.

Yep, Phil’s right. Too big for an A35..... I’d completely forgotten the Standard 8.

• RMweb Premium

Is the one parked on the wrong side of the road a Vauxhall Victor? At first I thought part of the wall was a wing extension.... Agree on A35 and Herald.

Best, Pete.

Yep, Phil’s right. Too big for an A35..... I’d completely forgotten the Standard 8.

I made the same mistake at first, thinking that was a wing extension then I noticed the distinctive horizontal rear lights that identified it as a Victor.

The Victor is an FB, the FD wasn't produced until 1967 and the FC didn't have such a rounded rear. I had a '68 model. Lovely car to ride in but with only 1600cc under the bonnet, a bit on the sluggish side.

The Triumph could be a Vitesse. basically a Herald but with a bigger engine and four headlights, I say this because (and this could be the photo or my eyesight) there seems to be a bit of angularity above the headlights, as seen here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/1965_Triumph_Vitesse_Heritage_Motor_Centre,_Gaydon.jpg

This feature was later applied to the Herald but not at the time of this picture, I believe.

The paint job is one for the Herald…..My third car was a Herald Convertible which I managed to put on it's side in Epping Forest with two girls in the back.  Thankfully no one was hurt…:-)

The Vitesse was two tone with the white section sandwiched between the base colour to form a stripe.  The Herald was was also two tone but split horizontally.

Herald

triumph herald

Vitesse

triumph vitesse

Let's have a chorus of:

Koda---c---hr--o--m--e,

Gives you those nice bright colours,

Gives you the greens of summer, etc

...I’d completely forgotten the Standard 8.

Lucky man, I've still got the scar from a piece of the internal trim that fell on me from my Dad's old one, at about that date.

Talk of the Victor having no performance, this thing had a mighty 800cc OHV engine that needed decoking every 2,000 miles, performance 0-60 in 'I'm still waiting'. There was a 'boot lid' on the Standard 8, a low down oval shaped one that gave access to the storage for the spare wheel and tool space only. Made the luggage space (awkwardly accessible from inside the car) even smaller than it needed to be. But they were good cars to roll. Would go right over and back onto their wheels with relatively few dents. Either that or rotate slowly, rocking gently on the roof.

• RMweb Premium

Reasonably sure the Standard is an 8, I can't see a boot lid (you had to dive in from behind the seats).

Ed

You can just make out the two holes for the T key that opened the panel to give access to the spare wheel.

The Victor is an FB, the FD wasn't produced until 1967 and the FC didn't have such a rounded rear. I had a '68 model. Lovely car to ride in but with only 1600cc under the bonnet, a bit on the sluggish side.

The Triumph could be a Vitesse. basically a Herald but with a bigger engine and four headlights, I say this because (and this could be the photo or my eyesight) there seems to be a bit of angularity above the headlights, as seen here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/1965_Triumph_Vitesse_Heritage_Motor_Centre,_Gaydon.jpg

This feature was later applied to the Herald but not at the time of this picture, I believe.

Definitely a Herald, you can see the headlamp surrounds. On the Vitesse the headlamps were set into the grill.

The FB Victor is the facelifted 1963-64 model. The original version had the rear plate (oblong or square) illuminated from below, the facelift had an illuminated surround for a square plate like this. The front grille was also revised to look like this. This is the version that was featured on the rear of Tri-ang MINIX cars as RC6. It never made production, instead the next FC Victor 101 was made as RC11.

post-1877-0-44794500-1498919629.jpg

The paint job is one for the Herald…..My third car was a Herald Convertible which I managed to put on it's side in Epping Forest with two girls in the back.  Thankfully no one was hurt…:-)

Totally off-topic but my brother had a Mini-Cooper which he lent me one evening to pick up my then girlfriend. After the Victor, this was a revelation. I was overtaking on roundabouts, cutting up Canary Yellow Mk.3 Cortinas (who, be it noted, used to do the same to me in the Victor) and generally doing all sorts of crazy stuff that I could never have otherwise done - hey, I was young, okay? It didn't last long in his hands: he managed to wrap it round a lamppost somewhere late one night. I believe a female passenger was also in attendance. Again, thankfully, no one was hurt but a sad end for a classic car.

• RMweb Premium

Yes  - it was too easy mistake great handling for grip. The tyres back then were pretty hopeless....

Best, Pete.

Yes, the delights of cross ply tyres. At least with cross plys an experienced driver would know when they were losing grip whereas radials gave no warning. Cross plys used to 'roll up' like a sheet of paper placed flat on a table and rolled, gradually reducing the area in touch with the table. Radial tyres on the other hand were like a piece of stiff card, lift one side and it loses almost all contact with the table. If you imagine that the table is the road surface and the paper/card is the tyres you can see how they effect the handling of the car. The radials are better because they stay on contact with the road far longer but if they loose grip it is without any warning whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad owned a Ford Anglia like the one in the photo real sit up and beg driving no heater and windscreen wipers that hardly worked ,the  Triumph Herald was the car I learnt to drive in and it was fantastic the gear change was so easy and the turning circle was to die for.

Archived