Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

This transparency is deteriorating rapidly, but at least it is scanned at high resolution which can be saved. I have yet to try and remove the blotches, this is a basic scan. The clean-up may take a while.

However, does anyone recognise the location?

post-4474-0-90821600-1465996178_thumb.jpg

D6333 with milk tanks in 1968/9

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This transparency is deteriorating rapidly, but at least it is scanned at high resolution which can be saved. I have yet to try and remove the blotches, this is a basic scan. The clean-up may take a while.

attachicon.gifd6333 lvl crossing.jpg

I think it is Uffculme on the Hemyock branch.

Cheers,

Aidan

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I don't know where it is but it's a cracking picture

I bet the maxi owner is peed off that he's been stopped will probably take him half an hour to find first gear on the early cable gear change model!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

H reg must be August 69 or later. The trees haven't turned so if the slide is stamped before 1970 then it must be Aug or early Sept 69.

Paul.

This is as close as I can get on Streetview -

post-4474-0-07077800-1466017316_thumb.jpg

Much of the location has changed beyond recognition, but the garage building with upper window in the gable end remains, as does the house opposite (visible above the milk tanker in the original). 1969 shot repeated for easier comparison.

post-4474-0-30314500-1466017350_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Black and white today.

Not much to go on, I'm afraid; and this was scanned from a rather poor quality print.

However, it appears to be a B1 with a train of non-vestibule coaches in a very flat landscape, and close to a station judging by the headshunt buffer stop. I wondered if it could be near Sutton-On-Sea or Mablethorpe, as these trains did run as weekend excursions from places such as Grantham or Doncaster (in fact I went to Mablethorpe on them myself as a child).

If someone does recognise the location it would save hours of searching for the bungalows on Google Maps.

post-4474-0-63422900-1467391065_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifd6333 lvl crossing.jpg

Jonny, would you mind if I posted this (fabulous) pic on the 'Project 22' Facebook group with full credit to you...?

No, I don't mind. Please go ahead.

The more people who get pleasure from the photo, the better.

Edited to add, I have pm'd you...

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

Black and white today.

Not much to go on, I'm afraid; and this was scanned from a rather poor quality print.

However, it appears to be a B1 with a train of non-vestibule coaches in a very flat landscape, and close to a station judging by the headshunt buffer stop. I wondered if it could be near Sutton-On-Sea or Mablethorpe, as these trains did run as weekend excursions from places such as Grantham or Doncaster (in fact I went to Mablethorpe on them myself as a child).

If someone does recognise the location it would save hours of searching for the bungalows on Google Maps.

attachicon.gifIMG_1105 copy.jpg

While not discounting Lincolnshire there are similar landscapes on the GE fen section e.g. Hilgay - if the subsequent photo is Wisbeah and Upwell then it could be close.

When looking at photos at old buildings next to fen lines it is worth noting that the railway and fens are sinking at different rates - which was a pain if you are trying to find the track level for electrification to KL. The upshot is that slightly built structures next to the tracks can be subject to differential settlement so the bungalows may not have survived.    

Thanks very much Echo, I think you are right. The gate with lamp at the exit onto the road also looks remarkably similar.

Sadly, Bomag, the photos do not appear to follow any logical order, apart from being mostly in East Anglia. For instance, this delightful next scene is unlikely to be in the Wisbech area because the destination panel on the Derby Lightweight unit says Colchester.

post-4474-0-79908300-1467533441_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks very much Echo, I think you are right. The gate with lamp at the exit onto the road also looks remarkably similar.

Sadly, Bomag, the photos do not appear to follow any logical order, apart from being mostly in East Anglia. For instance, this delightful next scene is unlikely to be in the Wisbech area because the destination panel on the Derby Lightweight unit says Colchester.

attachicon.gifderby lwt 1960s.jpg

Mistley.

• Like 1

Could this be somewhere on the Wisbech & Upwell?

attachicon.gifIMG_0882 copy.jpg

Definitely the Wizbang branching off. There was a bit of unusual interlocking here at Wisbech Harbour Junction. 8 gate lock lever pulled locked 3, 4, 14 and 15 and released 11, the signal leading to the wizbang. The level crossing on the main had to be open to road to let a train onto the tramway.

post-4034-0-74293900-1467534855_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks LNERGE, although (sorry) I had to look Mistley up on the map as my ignorance of Essex locations is total.

There are lots of these images with virtually no clues to their whereabouts unless you are a local.

post-4474-0-56675700-1467536414_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777

Then there is this wonderful station view, which would make a great model terminus with interesting track plan.

At first my guess was Yarmouth Vauxhall but that was on a curve, and Lowestoft doesn't look right either.

post-4474-0-12522300-1467537037_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Then there is this wonderful station view, which would make a great model terminus with interesting track plan.

At first my guess was Yarmouth Vauxhall but that was on a curve, and Lowestoft doesn't look right either.

attachicon.gifIMG_0889 copy.jpg

Felixstowe. Rather busy at this time as everything came here and docks traffic had to run round to get to Felixstowe Beach.

Edited by LNERGE

Thanks LNERGE, although (sorry) I had to look Mistley up on the map as my ignorance of Essex locations is total.

There are lots of these images with virtually no clues to their whereabouts unless you are a local.

attachicon.gifIMG_0885 copy.jpg

This one is making me think though. A truncated single line for sure but has me beaten at the moment. 

Felixstowe. Rather busy at this time as everything came here and docks traffic had to run round to get to Felixstowe Beach.

That's great, thanks.

This is another very rural scene, and maybe linked to the previous images (by the same branch lines).

post-4474-0-91929600-1467540417_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_0885 copy.jpg

Clutching at straws again, Reepham before it was relayed to Themelthorpe ?