Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

Clutching at straws again, Reepham before it was relayed to Themelthorpe ?

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions folks. I will continue my research.

At least these images have been saved from the bin.

However, I have little clue on this loco.

post-4474-0-85545900-1467554662_thumb.jpg

Thought it was just 'CECIL RAIKES' i.e. no 'Sir'. Location is Derby Loco Works (Pickering's Pit area just outside the Staff Office). The roundhouse in the background is the old Number 2 Shed which was the pattern store in those days and also housed Thundersley, 118 and 158A.

I don't think it is Outwell. There appears to be a gate across the track in the distance, and at Outwell the track would be either in, or adjacent to, the road.

• RMweb Premium

This transparency is deteriorating rapidly, but at least it is scanned at high resolution which can be saved. I have yet to try and remove the blotches, this is a basic scan. The clean-up may take a while.

However, does anyone recognise the location?

attachicon.gifd6333 lvl crossing.jpg

D6333 with milk tanks in 1968/9

Great photo, definitely Uffculme.  

A Google Image search will bring up quite a few photos, and here is the Uffculme page on the Disused Stations website:  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/u/uffculme/

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Echo, I think you are right. The gate with lamp at the exit onto the road also looks remarkably similar.

Sadly, Bomag, the photos do not appear to follow any logical order, apart from being mostly in East Anglia. For instance, this delightful next scene is unlikely to be in the Wisbech area because the destination panel on the Derby Lightweight unit says Colchester.

attachicon.gifderby lwt 1960s.jpg

Couple more pics of Mistley over on Dave F's thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-6th-july/page-39&do=findComment&comment=1596754

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-6th-july/page-159&do=findComment&comment=1978021

Cheers,

Mick

Bartlow. Look at a

Bartlow. Look that lovely garden edging. My from garden is lined with the same.

Excellent, thanks.

Scan 892 might be somewhere in the near vicinity.

post-4474-0-67804200-1467831968_thumb.jpg

Fascinating thread Jonny,

Thanks, Dave.

You're welcome.

And 893 is going even more rural, but seems to be doing a decent trade in goods products.

post-4474-0-62825600-1467835086_thumb.jpg

I don't think it is Outwell. There appears to be a gate across the track in the distance, and at Outwell the track would be either in, or adjacent to, the road.

Outwell Basin is where the track from Upwell went over the little (hump) bridge, then through the yard and straight across the field. The road headed off to the right at the yard entrance, rejoining later. The present day road has a roundabout adjacent to the old bridge site, then follows the trackbed towards Wisbech.

Stewart

Thanks 31A, well sleuthed. I did not realise the Lea Valley class 125 dmus ventured that far out of the London area.

No wonder I never saw them all.

Scan 894 has already succombed to the tracklifters, but still has most of the buildings in good condition.

post-4474-0-84982400-1467904966_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

Thanks 31A, well sleuthed. I did not realise the Lea Valley class 125 dmus ventured that far out of the London area.

The unit is one of Stratford's Class 116 allocation. The 125's where coded Orange Star whereas you can just make out the Blue Square coding on the front of the unit in the photo. The underframe detail on the DMBS is of a 116, the 125's looked totally different. Also all the 125's where allocated to FP by 1970.

Paul J.

Thanks, I must concentrate more on these photos.

Scan 904 appears to be on the WR, and I thought maybe Morebath Junc, but the signal box there was on the side of the track, not between them.

post-4474-0-88485800-1467917827_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I must concentrate more on these photos.

Scan 904 appears to be on the WR, and I thought maybe Morebath Junc, but the signal box there was on the side of the track, not between them.

attachicon.gifIMG_0904 copy.jpg

Grafton South Junction (as Brian and Peter say ^ ^ )

http://www.burbage-wiltshire.co.uk/historic/railhist1.htm - scroll down about 2/3

Yes, that would appear to be right. Thanks.  Photo taken from the platform end, and scrolling back up that linked page may give the answer to the previous photo (894) with the tracks removed; as it looks very similar to Savernake High Level.

Image 905.

This photo annoys me because I ought to be able to find a station of that size on my own, but no luck so far.

I think the loco is a B17, but it may not be.

post-4474-0-65058100-1467966068_thumb.jpg

• Like 2