Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

Could someone confirm to me that this rather grainy but atmospheric photo is indeed the country end of Euston around 1962/3?

Hopefully the construction work going on in the background ought to help narrow down the date a bit more....

post-4474-0-80896200-1476785082_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting photo of a sleeper service being banked over Shap by a 2-6-4T.

What appear to be a Stanier sleeping car flanked by two Mk1 versions, is then followed by a brake van and (I think) an ex-SR PMV.

Why is the brake van there? Is this an ECS working? If so, why then the need for a PMV?

post-4474-0-84168300-1476787564_thumb.jpg

ECS sounds plausable, do you have a photo of the front of the train? If ECS it could be worked by a freight engine which would not provide train heating so a GBV would provide a stove to keep the guard warm. The PMV could have been a last-minute tag on the end to get to Carlisle or wherever.

Edit: Is it a Southern PMV or an ex LMS 6-wheel CCT or similar?

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

Sadly, there is no photo of any other part of the train.

I am not a carriage and wagon expert; just a collector of (relatively) unwanted images which can't make the Ebay merchants 150% profit in a few weeks.

I just feel that historical images should be seen as that, not a way to get rich.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could someone confirm to me that this rather grainy but atmospheric photo is indeed the country end of Euston around 1962/3?

Hopefully the construction work going on in the background ought to help narrow down the date a bit more....

attachicon.gifScan-161018-0004.jpg

I'm fairly sure that was is seen under constructions is the new Euston panel signalbox which I believe commissioned in 1965 so I would estimate the date as more likely to be 1963/early 1964.

Thanks. I do see what you mean, but maybe the line of hills in the modern photo would show up on the horizon of the b/w one?

Edited to add that I am wondering if it is Hyde?

Edited by jonny777

Right at the back of the current box was this photo.

No railway tracks or locos I know, but it is so quaint and early 60s that I thought RMweb-ers would like it.

Does anyone recognise the station?

post-4474-0-07212300-1477081115_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It looks very different now, with the South Devon Highway in much evidence. And it would suit me very well if SWT still ran to Paignton - I prefer the Waterloo route to Exeter, but always have to decamp from the 159 to catch some deplorable FGW DMU!

Oi, Those deplorable FGW DMUs you speak of help me pay my mortgage!

• Like 1