Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

Thanks for all the excellent musings and discussions on these photos everyone. They are much appreciated.

I would add that apart from a few ventures north and west (holidays perhaps?) the main bulk of the photos do seem to be based in East Anglia and with a particular focus on Essex branchlines.

Therefore this area is likely to be the favourite   (famous last words...... )

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With the help of a back issue of the GER soc journal, I can say that the coaches are at Baron's Lane Sidings, sometime in the 1950's. The four by the running line are GER Ilford Stock vehicles.

Andy g

• 2 months later...

Sorry uax6, I haven't looked at this thread for a while as my scanning ceased through the better weather.

Does anyone recognise this location? The loco has express headlamps but the coaching stock is non-vestibule.

post-4474-0-72794200-1476120811_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

What is the purpose of the (wrong road) trap point on the left-hand track?     (Photo in post #499)

Thanks,

Bill

To protect the junction once a new route has been set. It was possible that a shunt move could be happening at the other end of the platforms. Loco changes happened here as well as adding or removing vehicles from a train.

Box diagram here that has most of the layout seen in the photo..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/8370181133/

This next one appears to be on the LT&S railway, given the style of electrification equipment and the loco in charge of the train. I guess it was taken shortly before the full electric service began.

I apologise for my ignorance of East London, but I thought it may not be too far out of Fenchurch Street, and the large gas holder made me wonder if it was anywhere near Becton gasworks?

Hopefully someone will know this area in far more detail.

post-4474-0-40047800-1476172496_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Scottish border country is the location for this next photo, I believe.

This is the Carlisle Railtour with 256 Glen Douglas on April 6th 1963, but does anyone recognise this rural wayside station?

Sixbellsjunction gives the route as:-

Carlisle Citadel – Petteril Bridge Jn

256 Petteril Bridge Jn – Upperby Bridge Jn (No.13) 256 Upperby Bridge Jn (No.13) – Currock Jn 256 Currock Jn – Canal Jn – Kingmoor Jn – Kingmoor New Yard 256 Kingmoor New Yard – Stainton Jn 256 Stainton Jn – Longtown – Langholm 256 Langholm – Longtown – Floriston – Caldew Jn – Rome Street Jn – Petteril Bridge Jn – Carlisle Citadel

post-4474-0-59306900-1476183337_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This image is on the same film as the Carlisle raitour.

Could it be a clue to the depot, or is the tank engine a give-away?

attachicon.gifScan-161011-0002.jpg

Doubtful. The tank loco is an N7 in steam with overhead flashes and there is one (and possibly two) Thompson B1s. A good probability of it being a GE shed, although Copley Hill or Neville  Hill (both Leeds) are outside bets.

I thought that I might be able to read the name on the signalbox, but I can't (not even on the original scan).

Therefore I need help with identifying this Eastern region station.

post-4474-0-34017000-1476641977_thumb.jpg