Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

TBH, there has been mention I think within the Dapol Digest that they are happy with the rotating AB's and haven't encountered any problems - with no reference made to 'the other rotating AB manufacturer'.

Dapol have some models which are really spot on - the 68 - and others needing something ... let's hope it continues in the same vein as the 68.

It'll be interesting to see the exhaust smoke!!

I wonder if it'll end up stalling on members' layouts with realistic loads through oil fallout ...

Al.

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well after the sound 66 release from Hattons im so looking forward to seeing this arrive.the only hope is that it has got the drivelock feature on its sound functions like the 66

If anyone from Dapol reads and takes note off these threads perhaps you can shed light on what to expect as i know you had 59003 for a lend to get genuine files off a real one

I would rather have a non sound and have a Leggobiffo fitting option than sound without it as its the game changer to realistic sound moving these heavy trains especially.

The thing I am most looking forward to is if the do 59003! At the moment none of the release are running in the colours of release (or in the case of DB 59206 will be repainted soon as it now belongs to FL IIRC)

Edited by TomScrut

10 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

They make models of what they think will sell as most model what was around when they were young or when they got interested,i too would like the Hanson and GBRF one to be done and i believe 206 is going orange as we speak so theres plenty to go at.

Not being young i model modern image as its so much more realistic with DCC sound but steam will never look as it does real life until we have hologram steam and smoke.

I also expect part of it was that they didn't forsee the DB ones getting sold, which is understandable! I think most companies when releasing a new product normally pick at least one current vehicle but obviously it's a moving target.

My preference is 003 as I want a /0 for variety's sake given the rest look more similar to a 66.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Indeed one real locomotive livery, unveiled at Tinsley open day, saw a full limited edition run sell out that same day.. making the advert in the next issue frustrating for modellers who missed TI open-day, as they missed the loco and the limited edition.

would love to know which model this was

• RMweb Gold

Ive been trying to remember which one it was.

47145 was my first thought too, but thinking back it might have been a Euro Railfreight distribution 47 with a blue roof ( 47375 Tinsley Traction depot comes to mind too), or even 31116 or 47803 in that garish yellow.

unfortunately my memory's defeated me.

I recall the loco was posed just behind the stand selling them, and a number of retailers bought them from the stand same day (which exacerbated its selling out) and a few weeks later swapmeets were offering them at much higher prices.

Edited by adb968008

Sounds re-assuring to me! https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/diesel-aa/class-59/project-managers-blog-aq/7345-class-59-re-tooled-bogies 

Andy Dapol | Dapol Digest: I don't have any direct experience with the model you mention, but we have tested our prototypes extensively and have not experienced any running issues attributable to the axle-box design. 

On 31/03/2020 at 17:02, TomScrut said:

At the moment none of the release are running in the colours of release.

This is my predictions in that Dapol will make up for it in the next release with possible a 59/0 in Aggregates Industries, 59003 in GBRF and possibly 59206 or another in Freightliner G&W.

We will have to wait and see what Dapol will do after Batch 1 but they have still got a few other liveries to cover.

Samuel.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sc2016 said:

This is my predictions in that Dapol will make up for it in the next release with possible a 59/0 in Aggregates Industries, 59003 in GBRF and possibly 59206 or another in Freightliner G&W.

We will have to wait and see what Dapol will do after Batch 1 but they have still got a few other liveries to cover.

Samuel.

They have said they are doing 003, there is a thing on their news page from when they went and recorded it.

I'd be happy with an AI /0 too!

16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

They have said they are doing 003, there is a thing on their news page from when they went and recorded it.

I'd be happy with an AI /0 too!

I did see that they are doing 003 when they annouced the sound fitted versions in a future batch hopefully be able to get one when they do.

• Like 1

I was watching the West Hill Wagon Works live stream today, they were talking about the Hatton's 66 and said that basically it was Dapol that were manufacturing them for Hatton's. Can there really be any truth in that? (It was after midday so not expecting it was an April fool)

30 minutes ago, richscylla said:

I was watching the West Hill Wagon Works live stream today, they were talking about the Hatton's 66 and said that basically it was Dapol that were manufacturing them for Hatton's. Can there really be any truth in that? (It was after midday so not expecting it was an April fool)

Could be the same factory perhaps?

17 hours ago, richscylla said:

No. 'Fake News'. 

Perhaps stick to the class 59 here and our hope for an AI 59/0 and G&W livery in 2021! The class 59 shall actually have axel boxes that rotate and not fall off! 

It'll be interesting to see how the sounds come out if they're recorded from 003 as it sounds different to the others, it can be heard about 1:30 into this video as the driver notches up from idle to notch 1.

The engine note fluctuates up and down on 003, all the other 59s hold a constant pitch.

It will be interesting too to see if it's practical to add any of the visual mods that 59003 has received, from it's time in Germany.

Jo

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

It will be interesting too to see if it's practical to add any of the visual mods that 59003 has received, from it's time in Germany.

Would you be able to elaborate on this please, I am interested to know what changed! Also interesting what you say about the sounds, is this to do with a mod that may have happened over there?

Off the top of my head it's the buffers, air pipes, top marker light and door handles. It's also lost the NRN radio aerials off the cab roofs. There may be more, but it's a few months since I've been on it. A lot of that could be customised by the purchaser, but the top marker light would be a pain to add convincingly, likewise removing the NRN radio pods off the roof. The headlights and markers are very white on 003 where they've been upgraded, the other 59/0s it's a very warm yellowy glow.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Thanks 3

There are also roof differences between 001-004 and 005 (which is why the original announcement of 002 has switched to 005). At the very least, to accommodate 003 that also means adjusting the tool to accommodate 1-4.

Conjecture, but maybe this is why there is more delay, and maybe batch 2 will see another /0 in later Yeoman or AI, along with 003

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes, apart from the headlights, 59005 is essentially identical to the 59/1s.

003 is unique on the roof since it lost its NRN pods. It may be easily done if Dapol do a shell for 1-4 and the NRN pods are separate fittings glued on the model.

I presume the separate doors are to allow Dapol to easily cover one or two handle doors without doing a whole different shell. If both options are on the detail parts sprue from the start, that option shouldn't really add to the cost of the model, as you always mould both and just bin the part you don't use. Like a leftover option part in an Airfix kit.

Hopefully if they ever do a model of 201, they'll notice that this has single handled doors like the earlier 59s.

Lots of variations across this fleet of 14 locos. From memory, across the entire life of all the locos, from a visual perspective the only common parts would be bogies, windscreens, cab interiors, horn grills, bodyside grills and ribs and the radiator group.

Everything else either has variations due to time (for example silencer) or different builds of loco.

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 02/04/2020 at 03:02, richscylla said:

The only factory Dapol own is their own one on their site in Chirk. At this factory they only manufacture wagons and kits. I have no idea why WHWW made that comment. It's a Hattons Originals model i.e. the project is taken up by, funded by and produced by Hattons. They've not commissioned any other manufacturer to design and produce this model. Dapol like most other manufacturers use 2-3 fatories in China to have their models manufactured.

I had a Dapol Western 24 hours, it blew the PCB and nobody would help me with a replacement PCB ... 3rd party involved - got refund OK, but loco considered 'beyond economical repair' which was very unfortunate.

I've had my Heljan Western for 2 years - still strong.

If it's mudslinging then I like both, and am wary of weak electronics in one of them ... that was poor QC.

Al.