Is this scooter a Vespa

Rail-Online

Hi again!

I am trying to write a caption for a photo in an upcoming book. I know nothing about such things but it would be nice to comment on this scooter. If it helps it is at Bude (is the reg local?) in June 1961.

Any help about the beast will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers tony

post-4594-0-14973800-1444396229.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Its certainly not a Vespa, they are easily identified by the bulges either side of the rear wheel. This was because one contained the engine and the other the tool kit and battery. Most others such as the Lambretta had the engine ahead of the back wheel. The registration PYN was a London mark issued March-December 1955.

'YN' was apparently London; if they drove it down, I hope they had rubber rings to sit on when they arrived.

Oh, I dunno. Back around 1990 I used to do Bristol-Newcastle, Bristol-Bangor and Bristol-Folkestone on a Honda C90 Step-Thru quite frequently and, as long as one avoids motorways and dual carriageways (easy in 1961), takes one's time  and treats the journey as part of the holiday or whatever, big mileages on tiny motorbikes are quite good fun :D.

My first vehicle was an NSU Quickly bought for me by my parents for my 16th birthday-very second hand I should add. It came with a bright orange crash helmet which Mum insisted on me wearing. I used to set off and stop as soon as I got round the corner to hide the helmet in the hedge until my return.

Ed

• 5 months later...

Sorry a bit late in replying to this, but only just seen it!

Definitely a Zundapp.

Back in the mid 1960s I acquired one as part of job-lot of non-working 2 wheelers I bought, the others being: Norton ES2, Ariel Red Hunter, Francis-Barnett Falcon and Vespa Clubman.

I kept the motorcycles and sold-on the 2 scooters after getting the Vespa to work, but not the Zundapp.

Archived