Can you identify these locations?

RRU

The pic of 52345 is on the scrapline at Bolton between withdrawal in Sept 1962 and scrapping in May 1963. The loco had arrived at Bolton from Crewe in 1959.  I remember it well passing Crescent Rd. shed daily on my way to school - happy days - the shed that is!

Ray.

Top two are Horwich Works. PAINT SHOP is a bit of a giveaway!

A bit OT but isn't it amazing the difference a smokebox door, or a handrail, can make to the identities of two essentially similar locomotives, as for example those two L&Y 0-6-0STs - while modellers quite reasonably obsess about other more obscure features, I suggest that the very finest possible smokebox fronts are probably going to say more about both individual locomotive and period than almost anything else? 

I appreciate that is sort of 'Thomas the Tank Engine' faces on engines thinking,but it works? Two lever v Wheel and Lever v those little clips whose technical term momentarily escapes me - They are 'typical' of a period (for a particular class) and to the extent that some survived out of period, absolutely typical of individual locos. I'm thinking for example of the NER R class, LNER D20, and the quite different characteristic that a 'modern' smokebox door (which not all of them got) gives. (They all went a couple of months before I was born, so I can only judge from pictures but you know what I mean - the early, NER smokebox door, quite flat, with a wide face plate, looks definitely Edwardian - the later, dished door suddenly makes the same engine look positively contemoporary).

• RMweb Premium

A bit OT but isn't it amazing the difference a smokebox door, or a handrail, can make to the identities of two essentially similar locomotives, as for example those two L&Y 0-6-0STs - while modellers quite reasonably obsess about other more obscure features, I suggest that the very finest possible smokebox fronts are probably going to say more about both individual locomotive and period than almost anything else? 

I appreciate that is sort of 'Thomas the Tank Engine' faces on engines thinking,but it works? Two lever v Wheel and Lever v those little clips whose technical term momentarily escapes me - They are 'typical' of a period (for a particular class) and to the extent that some survived out of period, absolutely typical of individual locos. I'm thinking for example of the NER R class, LNER D20, and the quite different characteristic that a 'modern' smokebox door (which not all of them got) gives. (They all went a couple of months before I was born, so I can only judge from pictures but you know what I mean - the early, NER smokebox door, quite flat, with a wide face plate, looks definitely Edwardian - the later, dished door suddenly makes the same engine look positively contemoporary).

I'm sure many of us "read" a loco's smokebox front with the same part of our brain with which we recognise human faces. Consequently tiny differences can quite change the apparent character of a loco. 

To me a machine such as a BR standard with the smokebox number in the "proper" place looks alert and purposeful. Those with numberplates in the middle of the door look rather gormless - one reason, perhaps, why I find it hard to feel much affection for the Midland or the L&Y.

Thankyou everybody for your replies.

My week long absence has been caused by a tree branch bringing down my phone line last week, just minutes after I posted the photo`s.

Just got the line repaired this morning. It will not happen again because I have felled the tree.

So here we go again with four more.

post-24330-0-50715300-1447506333.jpgpost-24330-0-21958500-1447506346.jpg

post-24330-0-10305100-1447506355.jpgpost-24330-0-21808600-1447506367.jpg

Peter

61950 is stored/withdrawn, which would suggest early 1963. Its last shed was Doncaster.

The roof vents on 61173 also look like part of Doncaster shed but probably weren't unique.

And while not definite proof, the snow on the ground would point to early 1963 as well.

Archived