Can you identify these locations?

RRU

all i can add about these picture is what a fascinating set of 'photograph the mundane' pics they are, to me they show what the real railway was like in 'the olden days' rather than chasing railtours, sparkling locos etc, and the out of the ordinary pics where he has photographed a special working are capturing the unusual side of things, I absolutely love the shots of Silloth a couple of pages back, first time ive seen pics of there from trackside, didnt realise there was a turntable, we have a caravan there and the old trackbed runs along the edge of the site (we're just the other side of the overbridge in the pictures) the bridge is still in situ and you can still see where the telegraph poles curve away from the town towards abbeytown jn

keep em coming

Very kind words, Jim.

Unfortunately I do not have any contact details for the photographer.

The only chance I may have of seeing him is at the KWVR winter gala next February. If I do see him I will pass on all your comments.

Peter

I did see 64690 at March along with 64687, 64691, 64696 and 64699 and I remember them being stored with a cloth tied over their chimneys so it was probably late 1962.  I was very excited as they represented the total remaining members of class J20 at the time.  No photos, sadly, as I was only a lad and didn't own a camera.

Chris Turnbull

That looks like the Carstairs coaling plant behind the two Caley bogies, and the roof of what would then be the shed building (to the right of the coaler) is in the right place. But I can't place the wall on the left on the plan of the shed I'm looking at.

That looks like the Carstairs coaling plant behind the two Caley bogies, and the roof of what would then be the shed building (to the right of the coaler) is in the right place. But I can't place the wall on the left on the plan of the shed I'm looking at.

It does indeed. If you're looking at the same track plan as me in the Hawlins and Reeve book, it's dated 1910, but it does show something which could be a wall in this location.

It looks like it's in the North Eastern yard to the east of Tebay station rather than banking a train when the photo as taken. It was one of the banking locos towards the end.

• RMweb Premium

Not positive about the two Caley Bogies, but could they be at Ardrossan, on the line which used to form the triangle between Ardrossan Town an d the Largs Branch?

Castle Hill to the left, and what looks like the coaler in the background

Regards

Ian

It looks like it's in the North Eastern yard to the east of Tebay station rather than banking a train when the photo as taken. It was one of the banking locos towards the end.

Correct. I said it was the banker. I didn't say it was banking. :wink_mini:

P

The 2 ex-Caley 4-4-0s are at Inverness (60A). Circa 1960?

DR

Can I change my guess and agree with you, please?

This looks like the right-hand engine in the 'puzzle pic' - wall behind, open door on the coal wagon and rather bigger than usual bag on the chimney - https://www.flickr.com/photos/44544845@N08/8676621312

Also, the Inverness coal tower has the little structure on the roof that's there in the 'puzzle pic', which wasn't there in pictures of the Carstairs tower - http://m.ipernity.com/#/doc/panchromatica/7410329

Edit - I would say this is definite proof! - https://www.flickr.com/photos/44544845@N08/albums/72157633334933519

Yes,pH,Inverness for sure. That siding by the wall (with Millburn Rd. on the other side) was the penultimate resting-place for a number of withdrawn locos from 60As parish.

And thanks for drawing my attention to Roger Smith's pics.,which I hadn't come across previously. Some nice stuff there....though that J11 at Retford is a bit of an interloper,

DR

Archived