Can you identify these locations?

RRU

• RMweb Premium

Is it at Heaton Mersey?

The northlight roofed shed behind the Ivatt 2-6-2T doesn't fit either Trafford Park or Heaton Mersey in the period of the photo.  Unfortunately that doesn't help identify where it actually is taken though!

Simon

On the Carnforth photo, the loco behind the Brush 4 near the turntable does look remarkably like a Brush Type 2 - which would be almost unthinkable in the mid 60s.

I'm sure that it is just a trick of the light, and blowing the image up just results in pixellating, but if it was it would be a rarity.

Actually, calming down a little I suspect that it could be a class 28.

On the Carnforth photo, the loco behind the Brush 4 near the turntable does look remarkably like a Brush Type 2 - which would be almost unthinkable in the mid 60s.

I'm sure that it is just a trick of the light, and blowing the image up just results in pixellating, but if it was it would be a rarity.

It appears to have got a light grey band low down on the body side. My money would be on it being a Metrovick Co-Bo, but untypically clean for that time

• RMweb Premium

Photos 1-3 are Tebay.  There's a very similar one of 42134 on the net in basically the same position (search images for 42134 and Tebay).  75037 and 39 were also allocated to Tebay and 75032 seems also to be shown there.   Don't know about 41264, but it ended its working life in Carlisle.  The remaining photos seem to be taken at a roundhouse - Carlisle Upperby?

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Tebay was a straight shed, the diesels look as though they're in a 'roundhouse'.

thats what 65179 has suggested a couple of posts above

all i can add about these picture is what a fascinating set of 'photograph the mundane' pics they are, to me they show what the real railway was like in 'the olden days' rather than chasing railtours, sparkling locos etc, and the out of the ordinary pics where he has photographed a special working are capturing the unusual side of things, I absolutely love the shots of Silloth a couple of pages back, first time ive seen pics of there from trackside, didnt realise there was a turntable, we have a caravan there and the old trackbed runs along the edge of the site (we're just the other side of the overbridge in the pictures) the bridge is still in situ and you can still see where the telegraph poles curve away from the town towards abbeytown jn

keep em coming

Archived