The Bournemouth West Model Railway Group / Now known as The South Coast Model Railway Development Group / TSCMRDG

Ceptic

• RMweb Premium

Just heard that a coach is being arranged to run from the Model Railway Solutions shop in Alder Hills Poole on Sunday 10th April.

Details can be had from the model shop or ring 01202 798068.

This is turning into quite a show . As well as the biggest model railway in Britain, Heaton Lodge Junction, and Bournemouth West there are a growing number of other superb layouts that have been invited including Bath Green Park, Evercreech New and Wimborne, to name just three. There will also be a large trade support. I will post more details when I know them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a club Combe Martin. Simon George, the owner and builder of Heaton Lodge Junction is the organiser. Following on from his first showing of the layout in Wakefield, in his attempt to get as many people to see it as possible, and spread the word about our hobby, this is the layouts showing for the South west. Unlike Wakefield a number of other layouts have been invited and there is trade support.

I think Simon has a website on which there are more details.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

Does anyone know who the organising club is for this exhibition.  So far I've only found the web site for where its at, which is the Bath & West showground at Shepton Mallet, so not at Bath.  Not much info on there so far.   

This might give you a bit more information.  

https://www.britainsbiggestmodelrailway.com/tour.php#EventEVENT08

Many thanks for the above 2 answers, that gives me a bit more info.  I have to confess that the attraction for me is Bournemouth West (I've missed it so far, work and now covid and I'm a very keen S&D modeller having done lots of S&D research and stock preparation) and any other S&D layouts.

I'll be travelling all the way from Ramsgate at the east end of Kent and want to avoid driving if I can (I've done enough of it in my lifetime) so was thinking of coming by train (I always use them if I can now). 

Does anyone know if there's a bus service from Castle Cary or does it have a taxi rank at the station ?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all

Its Monday and I’m taking it as a rest day after the show supporting Britains Biggest Model Railway at Shepton Mallet. We all enjoyed the show and getting the layout out for the first time since 2019. How long we can do it is an issue as our limited number of operators is dwindling fast and we are all 2 years older. 
Overall the layout performed pretty well. A dead section on the slip was an irritant as was 2 sprung point blades but there were some great running sessions, notably on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning when everything was running exactly to plan. Good to see many familiar faces and talk to many people.

Special mention to Combe Martin of this parish who watched all day Saturday and saw over 300 sequence moves!!!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Special mention to Combe Martin of this parish who watched all day Saturday and saw over 300 sequence moves!!!

Many thanks for that,

Fame at last !

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Quite understandable Roger but you'll always be the man that instigated one of the best exhibition layouts of the last few years.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for all your support. I haven’t stopped building model railways though so maybe something else will come along in the future.

Incidentally we had Charlie Bishop from Chadwick Model Railway YouTube channel down to film a half hour video this weekend - looks to be some good footage and Paul’s smoke fitted locos get a good showing. Afraid you’ll have to put up with my voiceover but should be worth a watch.

It will be out in 2 weeks time and Charlie is agreeable to me putting a link on here so, if I can work out how to do that, I’ll post it here.

• Like 15

• 1 month later...

The link below is for the recent video of Bournemouth West taken by Charlie Bishop from Chadwick Model Railway which can  be seen on his YouTube channel :-

https://youtu.be/gWfP7wUhQxo

Many thanks to Charlie for an excellent and very professional filming session. We hope you enjoy it.

From Roger Sunderland and all the members of the South Coast Model Railway Development Group.

• Like 16

Really enjoyed the Charlie Bishop video of Bournemouth West.  Absolutely brilliant and so informative.  Nice to see those long length trains running without having to negotiate the x7 deep crowd with the layout attracts wherever it goes.  Well done to all those involved.  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Melangoose said:

Really enjoyed the Charlie Bishop video of Bournemouth West.  Absolutely brilliant and so informative.  Nice to see those long length trains running without having to negotiate the x7 deep crowd with the layout attracts wherever it goes.  Well done to all those involved.  

Agreed, I seem to have the attention span of a goldfish these days but I watched it all the way through in one go, very informative.

• RMweb Premium

Very good video. Nice to see an actual usage of the Preci Models DCC controlled Kadee uncoupling system in action. I'm wanting to use something like that to control an AJ-style design for DCC controlled uncoupling, but I have to figure out how to get a spring return into the arrangement (something Kadees have already built-in).

• RMweb Gold

And nice to see shunting happening at a ‘got a job to do’ pace whilst still stopping short for the final more controlled couple up.

Paul.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Yes a bit on the large size but mainly the reason is letting our 3D printer guy have full reign on the buildings at Bournemouth. There is quite a lot.

If he fancies going "into production" with that, I know someone who might well be interested in a second set of parts for his "at home" version of Central!

John

• RMweb Premium

John

Give Steve a ring at Model Railway Solutions 01202 798068, in the shop. He may be able to give you the contact number for our 3D guy. 

Incidentaly I was at Frank Robinsons funeral on 3rd January, he was a great help to us in building West. I know the group building Bournemouth Central had a lot of contact with him. Do you know if there are any plans/photos etc he shared with you of structures around Central station? We have the plans for the overall roof section of the station and track plans, but that’s about it.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

John

Give Steve a ring at Model Railway Solutions 01202 798068, in the shop. He may be able to give you the contact number for our 3D guy. 

Incidentaly I was at Frank Robinsons funeral on 3rd January, he was a great help to us in building West. I know the group building Bournemouth Central had a lot of contact with him. Do you know if there are any plans/photos etc he shared with you of structures around Central station? We have the plans for the overall roof section of the station and track plans, but that’s about it.

Thanks Roger. I am one of said group and am very sorry to learn we have lost Frank.

I'd only met him once, the member most in contact with him was Will Loyd (to whom I'll pass on the sad news), and whilst I know he got some copies of photos (and much valuable "gen" in conversation) through Frank, I'm not sure of the specifics or what else might be involved. You will be welcome to share any info in our possession. 

Maybe setting up a visit for you so we can compare notes (and you can learn from our mistakes🙂) might be a good idea. I'll have a word with Ray (whose layout it is) on Sunday and drop you a PM.

Regards

John