No 4602

Siphon208

Hi, All!

I've just started a bit of research into this loco, from its origins as "Turbomotive" to its renaming as "Princess Anne", and its' tragic role in the events at Harrow and Wealdstone, in 1952

Can anyone tell me, what livery she would have been carrying at the time of the accident? the few grainy photos I have seen, don't give much away. I am interested in the "Royal" class of locos, and may look into this as a new build/ conversion from a suitable loco. Can anyone shed light on some further reading? 

Hi Siphon208,

The locomotive you are referring to is LMS 6202, and was numbered by BR as 46202 at the time of it's accident. As it was only in it's rebuilt form for a few months before it's accident there are very few pictures, and I have never seen a colour picture of it. It was most likely in BR lined green livery and with the early emblem on the tender.

Regards,

Ian

• RMweb Premium

What I assume to be the same colour photo and one or two b&w ones appear in Ozzyo's Anne and Me thread in the Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding section.  I can't seem to add links in at the moment unfortunately.  He's building 46202 in 7mm.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

No.

To elaborate: I think it was not until the later 1950's that LMR Class 8 locos began to be painted in red.

Just as it was in 1956 that the Western Region introduced chocolate and cream coaches and lined green livery for mixed traffic locomotives.

And I suppose it was about then that the Southern Region started painting its coaches green.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose the Eastern region 'repainting' its coaches teak was a bit too much of a challenge...

In reality probably not as there were still painters at York who had become very proficient in spray painting 'teak finish' on steel panelled stock according to a relative  (who used to work study the painters at one time).

I suppose the Eastern region 'repainting' its coaches teak was a bit too much of a challenge...

In reality probably not as there were still painters at York who had become very proficient in spray painting 'teak finish' on steel panelled stock according to a relative  (who used to work study the painters at one time).

Somewhere I had read that BR Eastern Region did trials with teak paint on Mk1 stock. I didn't find it again though. Does anyone have any information about it?

Archived