BR diesel shunters - some livery & detail questions

D5541

• RMweb Premium

Actually, just had a headache with pictures <- an idea ;)

Didn't someone do a Ruston PWM as an Rtr model? I seem to recall seeing a couple go for silly money on eBay...?

Hi D5541

Trix done a model that was in their strange scale of 3.8mm to the foot. I have one and it does not look too out of place.

Hi D5541

Trix done a model that was in their strange scale of 3.8mm to the foot. I have one and it does not look too out of place.

I had one; the flanges were so deep, they rode on the 'chairs' of Triang Super-4 track. The body was quite nice, though, and the motor was rather better constructed than the X04.

Hi D5541

A-ha !

So was their Western and Mk.1 coaches (with the most free running Commonwealth bogies known to man !)

Brian R

A-ha !

So was their Western and Mk.1 coaches (with the most free running Commonwealth bogies known to man !)

Brian R

I don't know what plastic Trix used for their underframes, but I'd love to see it used for some modern models. The only problem was that you needed stop-blocks on both ends of any storage tracks on shelves.

Br2975 - would you be able to email me a copy of the class 11 drawings if I asked nicely?

I have scanned both articles, wich contain drawings of (i) GWR No.1 / BR 15100 (ii) SR No.1 / BR 15201-15203 (iii)LMS No.7080 / BR 12003 - 12032, and (iv) LMS / BR 12033-12138 - BR 15101-15106

It's too big to go via RMweb, so PM me your e-mail address and I'll sent it on to you.

Brian R

I don't know what plastic Trix used for their underframes, but I'd love to see it used for some modern models. The only problem was that you needed stop-blocks on both ends of any storage tracks on shelves.

Brian

Since I saw you last, I picked up a Trix 'Pig Iron' wagon at a local 'swapmeet' - for a song.

The body (not too bad) and underframe (not too good) have since been seperated.

I'll leave it to you to work out what the proposed outcome may be ?

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive

I didn't know that Judith Edge done the class 11. Last time I spoke with Mike, we chatted about the LMS Jackshaft locos, I couldn't remember which version I have built so I came away with a Ruston-Hornsby 165hp kit instead of another Jackshaft loco.

No we have not produced any class 11 or near relatives - yet.

Judith & Michael

D5541: How about one of my favourite classes, an ex WR PWM loco, built by Ruston.?  http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/141

They also do  Ruston 88DS, which worked at Reading Signal Works and was numbered 20 in BR days.  http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/390

Both Judith Edge kits, very good reputation.

Hint to Mr Edge: would still like these in 7mm.........

7mm RH 88 and 48 are at the test building stage now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Black with wasp stripes-several hundred Class 08s and some carried the black until the 70s, D3052 was withdrawn black in December 1973 and 08105 is believed to have been black until 1975 though I do not have concrete proof.

08221 is another early livery that lasted late. See the photo here, https://flic.kr/p/rWWSaY, and decide for yourself. My moneys on green livery, but with the first Lion & Wheel emblem.

If of interest several Class 11s and at least two Class 12s made it to BR Blue.

Russell I know of eight class 11 as follows.

D12040.

D12047.

D12062.

Also 12108 had a double arrow logo in green, 12121 had TOPs type numbers and 12091 retained the first style of Lion & Wheel emblem until the end and may well have been in black, although it's impossible to tell on the photo I have. The only class 12 I've seen in blue is 15212, although 15224 was in a "sort of" BR blue when in service with the NCB, was that the other one?

Paul J.

• 4 years later...

I think I will have one with SR Boxpok wheels,  I hope that one day, a company will producea model of the LMS Jackshaft diesel shunters

LNER 150001 - 3

Similar to the LMS diesels were LNER DES J45

https://www.lner.info/locos/IC/des1.php

Those LNER shunters ended up at Crewe shed at or around withdrawal in September 1967, 

Edited by Pandora

22 hours ago, Pandora said:

I think I will have one with SR Boxpok wheels,  I hope that one day, a company will producea model of the LMS Jackshaft diesel shunters

LNER 150001 - 3

Similar to the LMS diesels were LNER DES J45

https://www.lner.info/locos/IC/des1.php

Those LNER shunters ended up at Crewe shed at or around withdrawal in September 1967, 

Not Boxpok but Bulleid-Firth Brown. The two types of wheel were very different and, as far as I am aware, Boxpok wheels were never used in this country. Even in mainland Europe they were a rarity outside of the American built class 141Rs on SNCF.

Jim

Edited by jim.snowdon
Typo.