The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Live Music - A Rant

Tim H

• RMweb Premium

That's pretty grim isn't it.

I used to go to live music local gigs but got so pi##ed off with morons in the 'audience' just yapping all the time between numbers and then yelling at each other during a number that I now rarely bother. I'm sorry about that. However, I find that there are really small village venues locally, with a more mature audience and there is no booze available or allowed, where conventions are observed especially with solo acoustic artists. 

On the other hand I do go to the occasional gig where the band is so loud nobody can be heard even if they bellow!!!!!!!!

Sadly conventions on suitable behaviour in public are getting lost and that is not just in music venues.

Well ranted by the way.

Sincerely

Phil

Should memtion that the band have read and approve of my rant, but appreciate my not naming them.

Behaviour at gigs is a whole 'nother issue; the recent Opeth gig in London (which I couldn't get to) was especially bad by all reports.

• RMweb Gold

Tim,

If the band's who I think it is, I saw them about ten days ago, I'm guessing at a different venue and was shocked at how empty the hall was.  I can't begin to imagine what that does to the band's confidence, despite the brave face they put on, hpapy and chatting to everyone (almost literally so) afterwards.   What's worrying is that even though it was an hour's drive from home I recognised most of those who were standing with me close to the stage, it's clearly only a small group of people heading out to see these great bands.

Had an amusing incident this week in Norwich watching Jo Shaw Taylor, slight interruption in the gig as a couple of chairs were brought out for a few acoustic numbers.  With the flat venue floor and low stage Jo disappeared from view for many of the crowd leading to a big increase in the hubbub and chatter particularly from the back.  Cue a spleen venting comment from a brilliant blues guitarist - good on you Jo!

Hope the crowd's healthier for my mustn't miss annual dose of Mostly Autumn this weekend.

Martin

This is nothing new. I have been to many gigs such as this in the 1970s where the band were not into releasing singles but had many successful albums. Because of this, the idea of playing live in those days at local dance halls where the trendy "studs" went each weekend in the hope of posing and chatting up the girls who were lying about their age, was a complete disaster at times.

Some of the groups I saw were highly talented, and it depressed me to see that no more than maybe 50 people applauded at the end of each number, while the general disinterested hubbub from the bar area at the back continued whether music was playing or not.

I suspect that most of the potential audience can't afford train fares, let alone hotel bills, and that is without the entrance fee. Most Sunday nights I go to Hitchin Folk Club where an audience of 60 isn't bad, and 100+ is common.This is a triumph of live music that has been going for over 50 years now.

Ed

Tim,

If the band's who I think it is, I saw them about ten days ago, I'm guessing at a different venue and was shocked at how empty the hall was.  I can't begin to imagine what that does to the band's confidence, despite the brave face they put on, hpapy and chatting to everyone (almost literally so) afterwards.   What's worrying is that even though it was an hour's drive from home I recognised most of those who were standing with me close to the stage, it's clearly only a small group of people heading out to see these great bands.

Was that The Junction at Cambridge on the Sunday night?  In which case it was the same band.  I was there.

I confess to not having heard of the band - my blinkered musical frame of reference to blame there, I'm afraid.  

However, I can completely empathise with the OP/ blog post.  I drove past the venue with my daughter and kicked myself for being unaware that the main room billing (EDITORS) was playing: we would both have attended that gig had we been savvy.  

Part of the problem is awareness in my case, despite social media and the www.  There are only so many hours in the working week that I can update my gig diary, and inevitably it's bands in my peripheral vision that suffer.  

As for local competition, that spells disaster for attendances.  Tomorrow I have a three-way choice: DREADZONE or PENETRATION in Derby after work, or ANTI-PASTI in Stoke.  I've not even checked who's playing in Brum, because I'm still in the throes of a house move!!!

As for local competition, that spells disaster for attendances.  Tomorrow I have a three-way choice: DREADZONE or PENETRATION in Derby after work, or ANTI-PASTI in Stoke.  I've not even checked who's playing in Brum, because I'm still in the throes of a house move!!!

Dreadzone & Penetration would both definitely be worth seeing, but Pasti are on fire at the moment with the new(ish) vocalist :-)

Hi Tim

Understand your frustration but were other, bigger bands playing the same night? Was Bake-Off hosting a live show?

We saw Ozric Tentacles in Glasgow a few months ago in a small venue (part of the old ABC cinema), it was only half full, maybe 100 or so, but the atmosphere was great, really intimate, and not long to wait ot get a drink at the bar.

Live music can be wonderful but there are so many other things that appeal to people today - it's a competitive environment.

But good rant, well said!

Mal

35! I once went to a gig where there were 6 of us. Half of us had travelled there (all of 4 miles) together, and we knew all the others. Not a well known band, but it was the last time the promoter used that venue. It was a huge hall, and so empty that the acoustics were awful.

Dreadzone & Penetration would both definitely be worth seeing, but Pasti are on fire at the moment with the new(ish) vocalist :-)

Totally agree bro. Only seen DREADZONE once, a couple of weeks ago - and they're high on my see again list.

PENETRATION I last saw maybe a year ago and I am keen to see their new material again.

PASTI - distance may work against them if I'm in Derby by train for our own rehearsal.

Archived