Electric Locos at Container terminals

jpendle

Hi All,

When one of Freightliner's electric hauled container trains gets to its destination, what do they use to get it into the terminal proper, where presumably there is no OHLE.

Do they still have shunters or do they use a spare mainline diesel for the job?

Or does does OHLE not really get anywhere near the actual terminals themselves?

Thanks,

John P

It's a mix of things dependent on the location but at Trafford Park for example where there are two intermodal terminals you have a fully wired arrival road with run round plus partially wired lines for departure - so the train arrives in the arrival line and a shunter will transfer the train under the terminal gantries to be offloaded / loaded once complete the train is drawn forward back under wires where an electric can attach.

Both terminals have 08 shunters (though I've not noticed the Harry Needle 08 in the Schenker sidings of late) or 66s to act as super shunters.

Hi All,

When one of Freightliner's electric hauled container trains gets to its destination, what do they use to get it into the terminal proper, where presumably there is no OHLE.

Do they still have shunters or do they use a spare mainline diesel for the job?

Or does does OHLE not really get anywhere near the actual terminals themselves?

Thanks,

John P

Some depots use an 08 pilot still, others use a 'spare' mainline diesel, and I presume some must use an empty wagon as a 'reach' wagon. Looking at various depots in Quail:-

Tilbury has the main-line end of the crane roads electrified.

Willesden has the same arrangement.

Daventry has electrified reception/departure sidings, but no juice near crane roads.

The two terminals at Manchester were both electrified at the outer end of the crane roads, as does Garston, Liverpool.

I wonder if those terminals that have partially electrified crane roads have some sort of local switching/ isolation for routine (not emergency) use?

At Coatbridge, the roads are wired at the south and north ends but not of course where the cranes work. Electrically-hauled trains, which run from and to the south only, on arrival run past the terminal into a headshunt and propel back. The locos detach and either run round, or run light to Mossend to stable until next required. No shunting loco needed !

Arrive on the arrivals line which is electric, leave from the departure line which is partially electric.
Some kind of shunt loco is used, 08 or 66 these days, really depends on where it is.

Even going back 20-25 years ago it wasnt always an 08 doing the shunting, though motive power wasnt a 66 of course, could have been 45, 47, Ive even seen 40s used... 

Drove past Garston Freightliner yard earlier, a 90 was hooked up to a train, the pantograph about 10-15 feet from the end of the wires at the end gantry.

This is where the OHLE finishes, the crane comes right up to the gantry. 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3534203,-2.8994809,3a,17.3y,194.29h,91.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl4ZfMetvi3nP2BA8Vy5iAQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Archived