Painting silver window surrounds in N gauge

I have decided to order one of Carl Peplow's N gauge D600 warship bodykits with an eye to painting it myself.

Can anyone suggest a way of painting the distinctive silver cab window surrounds? They would be pretty thin in N gauge and I am not sure my hand is steady enough for that. Any ideas appreciated.

For an idea of what I am hoping to achieve, have a look here.

http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%20Depth/hydraulic_pioneers.htm

I also have used silver gel pens for this sort of work (albeit in OO). I have done one entire side of an MJT 4VEP unit this way, with the other side still to be done. If you make a mistake, or your hand shakes at the wrong moment, you can simply wipe off the affected part and start again. Once dry, a quick coat of varnish seals it but be careful to follow the line of the silver so you don't inadvertently smudge it. You can still touch up with more silver gel after varnishing, if necessary.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I like the idea of a silver gel pen. Can anyone suggest suitable ones? I am guessing I would need about 0.2mm for N gauge but I cannot seem to find any. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone suggest suitable silver gel pens, I have not had any luck tracking any down that I am confident will give a fine enough line (under about 0.25mm). Lots of sites give the nib thickness but I think the line thickness is less so Ia m not sure.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone suggest suitable silver gel pens, I have not had any luck tracking any down that I am confident will give a fine enough line (under about 0.25mm). Lots of sites give the nib thickness but I think the line thickness is less so Ia m not sure.

Hi,

I have some of these -

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Uni-Ball_Signo_UM-120_Metallic.html#a4118

In various colours.

This is about the finest you are going to get - for a GEL Pen.

In my experience the line is not that much narrower than the stated nib size.

I also have some Extra fine ENAMAL paint pens but both that I have at the moment are so used I cant read the maker!

However, if you look at the site in the above link you should find them as that is where I got mine from.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

What about a ruling pen? Would that work?

When doing thin lines for coach panelling, I put that line on, normally wider than I require then use the main body colour in another 'wide' line to cover part of the panelling line - your chrome window surround, which I would have thought to be more of a light'ish grey in 'N', than a shiny metallic rendition.

Always run a few trial runs on some similar scrap material before committing yourself on the primary model.

Archived