Armitage Freemo Meet 2016 - 24th/25th Sep 2016

Glorious NSE

Same.

I fly out to Orlando at the end of September so I'm not sure if I'll be available.

I'm almost certain we fly the following Wednesday so I should be good to go, though I'm not sure what I'll be able to fit into the car - Alpha Packaging or Milepost 21 or both. :)

• 7 months later...

Is it possible to just be a spectator?

Yes, but its more fun to join in.

I'll be there and my dad has asked about coming again, however no module this year, I wasn't satisfied with the track so I've ripped it up.

I have no module to offer, and no DCC locos, but (assuming I can get the necessary clearance) I'd like to come and join in if I can...

I do have some badly weathered freight cars, hopefully will have several more by September...

Is it possible to just be a spectator?

I have no module to offer, and no DCC locos, but (assuming I can get the necessary clearance) I'd like to come and join in if I can...

I do have some badly weathered freight cars, hopefully will have several more by September...

If you haven't been to a Freemo meet before then it's worth just bringing yourself along and buddying up with someone as Driver Engineer and Conductor/brakeman/switchman.

I can bring my Junction/Street Running module, but it hasn't been set up since last September and I still need to sort out the grounding problem that some trains experienced, although this might have just been a case of a misaligned baseboard joint.

I'd agree with getting involved. There is the opportunity to learn a lot more about operations , switchlists etc as well as seeing different ideas for building modules which can just as well be applied to individual layouts. 

In my experience ,  people are only too happy to share their knowledge and experiences on how they did things , and , I think it's fair to say , you'd be unlikely to have many opportunities to operate on a layout of such a size outside of the Freemo environment.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, planning time!

If anyone is planning to come and didn't get Nick's email this morning can you let me know and PM me your email address if I don't already have it.

Thanks!

Can you also let me know so I can keep on top of numbers for catering etc.

Martyn for planning and ops; me for grub! ;) ;)

The carpentry doesn't actually look that complicated, my hesitation has always been creating an interesting enough module that I can easily transport, I had planned to build a British modular layout which uses similar specs, but the existing ones are concentrated, (but not exclusive to,) the SE of the country, meaning long distances if I wanted to play with others. 

Worst case scenario, if you can afford it, I believe Tim Horn is or was planning to build laser cut flatpack baseboards to freemo spec.

Thanks Paul. Not sure my carpentry skills are up to the job.

Rob ,

I had the same doubts but have successfully produced several modules which work and mate up properly - both in our local area group and at last year's Armitage meeting. I sought advice from others prior to cutting any wood for things like leg dimensions , so have a go. I'm happy to show my terrible carpentry if you want any pointers.

Single track modules tend to be a lot more forgiving as well - as long as the track is level at the board end where it interfaces with other modules , it should all work as intended easily enough.

• RMweb Gold

If you're worried about carpentry then build a single ended module, my King Coal is 3ft x 1.5ft and just one point, so you only have to sort one end perfectly ;)

Tim Horn, Model Railway Solutions, White Rose etc all do baseboard kits and Tim has 450mm wide x 1000mm long that fit the specs for an 18inch module if you add legs, they are about £50 incl VAT. The other option is to find a local B&Q or wood yard who will cut a 8x4 to length and then cut it into 18" widths for the tops, and now you know it's all the same length, you get them to cut the rest into 4" strips to build the frame

post-6968-0-32475200-1467091424.jpg

Archived