Armitage Freemo Meet 2016 - 24th/25th Sep 2016

Glorious NSE

• RMweb Gold

Rob

Looking at your boards at TVNAM I don't think you need to worry. The beauty with Freemo is that you don't need to align the track precisely as there are no connecting bolts or dowels to another module but just clamps. As long as you can get your rail top close tov45 inches off the floor with adjustable feet on the legs and level track you should be fine. Fort Myers wasn't built as a Freemo module and even the boards are built differently to the Fremo standards but it connected up the first time that it went to a Freemo meet.

Wiring is even easier.

Also worth a gander is the NMRA-BR version, which develops that a bit - the two are compatible:

http://www.nmrabr.org.uk/nmra-ho-modules-spec

I'd agree with the other comments, don't fret over board building, give it a go and it's likely to be fine - or if you're that bothered there are suitable board kits.

I know folk like to build something "interesting" as well, but it doesn't have to be complicated, plain track modules are really useful in any setup to space out the "towns" - and would make a nice "photo prop" for your models. 

Rob, just have a go. I'm probably the worst carpenter in the galaxy and managed to come up with something that works.

Currently under deconstruction in the shed.

post-2818-0-64598000-1467109208.jpg

Leg lengthener from my preferred height to the spec of 45"

post-2818-0-24503700-1467109209.jpg

Mandatory construction mess shot

post-2818-0-76204700-1467109209.jpg

Wiring under way

post-2818-0-24236600-1467109210_thumb.jpg

Track plan

edit: I should clarify this is going to the NMRA convention in October and not Armitage. (I'm off to the Netherlands for a beer fest that weekend)

The carpentry doesn't actually look that complicated, my hesitation has always been creating an interesting enough module that I can easily transport....

I think others have mentioned it, but in North America, "interesting" bits are the exception on our rail lines.  Where I live in northeast Indiana, the Norfolk Southern Fostoria District goes close to 80 miles due east without a curve.  It passes through some small towns along the way.  Handful of industries; grain elevator, fertilizer, even a plant that processes steel coils that rates it's own turn every day from New Haven to Leipsic, Ohio but 99% of that 80 some miles is BORING.  Corn, soybeans, wheat, some trees, an occasional bridge over a creek or what passes for a river out here, but mostly it's just nothing of interest.  So build a section with nothing but a single track.  It will be prototypical and probably appreciated by the Run Chief for the meet to have some running room.  

I really need to follow my own advice and get working on some of that boring track myself.  I've devised a plan to create nearly a scale half mile of running from a set of bifold closet doors.  Nothing but gently rolling terrain and maybe a rural grade crossing.  

Jason C

Flatland, Indiana

That's why I built my "plank" module - it serves two purposes.

Firstly , it was a trial to see if I could build something to modular standards and also learn scenery techniques and so forth , and secondly to provide that bit of plain countryside between modules. 

• 3 weeks later...

Martyn and I are in the process of co-ordinating the attendance for September.

A couple of points -

- anybody who hasn't made their intentions known but wants to come, please can you let us know by this weekend.

- some people have put themselves down for attending maybe one day only. Please be aware that this is not a "walk in" event and we keep the doors locked with a notice stating it is a private function. Some of the local teenagers (and others) seem to think they are at liberty to come in and use the facilities! As a result, can you please be specific as to when you plan to attend (as far as possible) so we can make sure somebody is on hand to let you in. If you want my mobile number for contact purposes, particularly to let us know you are arriving etc, let me know.

I think others have mentioned it, but in North America, "interesting" bits are the exception on our rail lines.  Where I live in northeast Indiana, the Norfolk Southern Fostoria District goes close to 80 miles due east without a curve.  It passes through some small towns along the way.  Handful of industries; grain elevator, fertilizer, even a plant that processes steel coils that rates it's own turn every day from New Haven to Leipsic, Ohio but 99% of that 80 some miles is BORING.  Corn, soybeans, wheat, some trees, an occasional bridge over a creek or what passes for a river out here, but mostly it's just nothing of interest.  So build a section with nothing but a single track.  It will be prototypical and probably appreciated by the Run Chief for the meet to have some running room.  

I really need to follow my own advice and get working on some of that boring track myself.  I've devised a plan to create nearly a scale half mile of running from a set of bifold closet doors.  Nothing but gently rolling terrain and maybe a rural grade crossing.  

Jason C

Flatland, Indiana

Not that I'm familiar with the area.. but kind of the reason why I re-modelled 'Sheldon' to just a single spur serving an elevator on the edge of a small town. It's a conversation that a few of us have had too - to create at least  one 'plain' module for each 'industry rich' (or whatever).. thus allowing for some gaps in running between sites for switching. the only real problem is space to accommodate it all :-)

Doesn't time fly, it will be September before we know it, so I've setup the Sullivan Scrap module in the living and I'm determined to get some work done on it so it is a lot more complete than last year!

Unfortunately I haven't done much on it in the last few months, life gets in the way, it just so happens that I have applied for voluntary redundancy at work and 2 days before Freemo this year I will find out if my application has been accepted so my life may be changing!

Archived