'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi...

Have attempted to obtain an overall grey finish to the top of the sleepers with one or two areas left with the hint of a few cracks or fissures within them showing the darker timbers beneath....?

Hope to be moving on to the weathering and mucking up of the ballast next....

I am intending firstly to use a very dilute dark earth wash to take away the very grey uniform woodland scenics colour.....any other suggested methods please guys...?

This is how the sleepers look at the moment.....

post-20610-0-75965600-1521061301_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob.

I think you had too much paint on the brush when you did the grey mate. Try rubbing them lightly with a fiberglass pencil to cut through it and show the darker colour. The thing with dry brushing is to wipe most of the paint off the brush with a paper towel and use a really stiff scrubby old flat brush and brush lightly across the width of the sleepers to bring up the raised detail. Sorry if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here mate.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

Hi Bob.

I think you had too much paint on the brush when you did the grey mate. Try rubbing them lightly with a fiberglass pencil to cut through it and show the darker colour. The thing with dry brushing is to wipe most of the paint off the brush with a paper towel and use a really stiff scrubby old flat brush and brush lightly across the width of the sleepers to bring up the raised detail. Sorry if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here mate.

Regards Lez. 

Hi Lez.....

No matey....I am a novice here..so will get the fibreglass pencil out and begin removing some of the grey... always shout up loudly please, as I appreciate all the advice.....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi....

I have no doubt that every time a posting appears from myself regarding Cambrian Street some (if not most) of you kind and talented guys must thinking what the ' * ' is he doing now !

I am sure that the following post will be no different...?

I have made up a very dilute solution of dark earth and washed this over the woodland scenics grey ballast to take off the overall grey...well it is a start perhaps...?

Have also 'scuffed up' the grey, will also do further work on these sleepers......

Comments please.....

Thanks for sticking with me....

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob.

Now it's starting to look the biz mate. Try another wash on the ballast and then splosh some black in the 4 foot then another wash over the whole lot, Then dry brush a dark rust on the rail fixings and you should be there. If there are places where locos stand then a nice splosh of gloss black with metalcoat gunmetal will give the impression of oil between the tracks. Keep going mate it's starting to come good.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

Evening all.....

Comments appreciated on this.....

Placed another weak solution of flat earth down on the ballast followed by the same mixture with a drop of black to darken the mix, this applied to the 4 foot in places and around the sleeper ends ballast, will see when this drys as it remains 'damp' in these images and video......

post-20610-0-58920600-1521237616_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-70475300-1521239340_thumb.jpg

Regards always,

Bob

Watch out for the 'white stuff' (again) !

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi...

Will do Lez....with snow forecast here for Sunday...I cannot see me getting to Arley for a volunteering stint....gala or no gala the lane down to the station is not good in bad wintry weather, it's not worth the risk, so if I am at home it'll be a layout day...!

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi....

Just for the record..the revel enamel colours I have readily available, have been added to by the receipt of the following Railmatch paints....

Sleeper Grime.....Oily Steel......Matt black and white  and Signal Red

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM

More black in the 4 foot Bob.

Regards Lez.

Hi.....

Thinking ahead.....dangerous I know...!

What I am intending to do next, and I would appreciate your experiences......is to paint the sleepers of the adjacent siding with a diluted base colour of sleeper grime, paint the rail sides then ballast up, whilst at the same time working on the current siding (further weathering up) blending and working on both together, and as 'progress' is made moving on to others......

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening from a frozen and snowy Staffordshire.....

Have weathered the (test) sidings further, concentrating on the 4' and where the loco'c would stand or linger for a time...using either a dilute matt black for the latter or more concentrated form for the former.....will see how this dries out 

would appreciate your comments and advice as always guys....

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi.....

Lack of snow permitting...it'll be an SVR Sunday tomorrow...otherwise it'll be a layout one.....may move on to the next siding after giving the current area another complete overall wash of dilute dark earth....?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

However much I love my SVR volunteering days and would normally not miss any day that allows me to be with my colleagues and friends..... sometimes working 5 days at the nursery plus 2 at Arley each week......a snow day comes a welcome rest!

Last Thursday...and just in time for the Spring Gala...our station became 'complete' again....the gents loo sign which had been down for quite a while and has been repaired, was finally reinstated in its proper position above the door....!

post-20610-0-07114700-1521329176_thumb.jpg

Regards always...
Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Looking very good now Bob. Use the sleeper grime as a dilute wash over the whole thing now and see how it all comes up.

Regards Lez. 

Hi Lez....

Would you go 75-25 thinners/paint....?

Regards always

Bob

• Like 1

Hello Bob,

I'm most probably too late to offer any advice for you, I like your attitude though.

Have you seen what Mikkel is doing here with his track ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-20627-stops-levers-plates-gauge-wall/

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Hello Bob,

I'm most probably too late to offer any advice for you, I like your attitude though.

Have you seen what Mikkel is doing here with his track ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-20627-stops-levers-plates-gauge-wall/

Keep up the good work.

Hi....

Never too late for anything my friend...do so appreciate any advice or directions for all aspects of modelling.....

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Bob that should do the trick.

You can always add another coat if it's not enough but it's a lot harder to take it off if it's too much mate.

Regards Lez.

Morning.....

Well there's loads of the 'white stuff' outside (again)....so no railway day for me...it'll be a 'layout' afternoon !

Regards always...

Bob

Hi

An enforced 'snow day' away from the volunteering side of the SVR does have its advantages... it allowed me to place a signal red 'undercoat' on the buffer stops....(and later will permit a 'sleeper grime' wash to be applied to the ballasted area).

post-20610-0-21222100-1521377515_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-32820000-1521377577_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Afternoon all.....

An update on what has transpired this afternoon....

A wash of 75/25 thinned sleeper grime has been apllied to the ballasted area...and what a difference this has made, gone is that overall grey look, and a much more subtle weathered look is appearing.....whether there will be the need yet for a further application I am unsure until this dries and I start to amalgamate and incorporate this into the adjacent area of ballasted sidings......

post-20610-0-28761100-1521391112_thumb.jpg

I have applied a little heavier wash to the areas in the corners and foot of where there is the intention to 'build' a low retaining wall, figuring that it is here that you inevitably find a build up of muck and detritus from leaf litter and mud etc.....will work on this further when the wall is established.....

post-20610-0-41258900-1521391303_thumb.jpg

Earlier I highlighted the adjacent siding as the next candidate to be ballasted, this remains the case, however I have also decide to ballast the one beside it too as it is in close proximity, therefore both lines have been given a light coat of sleeper grime across the sleepers as a base colour, this will be allowed to dry before I apply a colour to the rail sides....

It is worth noting that I have found the Railmatch Sleeper grime and the Signal Red matt paints used today to be far superior to the Humbrol paints previously used...., in my amateurish experience.I am very impressed with them thus far....

It is remarkable the difference even just a slight covering of sleeper grime makes to the black plastic colour of the peco track....

post-20610-0-37537200-1521391449_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-75882500-1521391584_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-71895800-1521391745_thumb.jpg

Comments and advice appreciated....

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3